March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When Hoffman Arms Company move to Ardmore Oklahoma John Wright Jr. moved with them.

John R. Wright Sr. was born in 1873 and arrived in 1925 and went to work for Hoffman Arms Co. Ardmore Oklahoma.

Samuel G Wright was born in 1900 and arrived in American in 1926 and went to work for Hoffman Arms Co. Ardmore, Oklahoma.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As Hoffman began to fall apart and everyone started splitting up.

I Found an ad(s)1928-June-July….. Hoffman & Wright PO Box 87 Ardmore, Oklahoma. I have no idea if this was Sr. or Jr.

1928-October….. John Wright (no sons) 1844 East 40th Street Cleveland, Ohio. This was most likely John Jr. As he worked in Cleveland and no sons listed in the name. I have never seen reference to our know of a Wright rifle marked Cleveland.

This would have been John Sr.
1929- March- April…… Baker & Wright Arms & Equipment Co. 550 Gibraltar Bldg Kansas City, Missouri. The Baker was Clyde Baker who wrote "Modern Gunsmithing".

1929- March- April- August-September…. John Wright & Sons, 550 Gibraltar Bldg, 818 Wyandotte St. Kansas City, Missouri.

To better understand the address it was room 550 of the Gibraltar Building located at 818 Wyandotte Street.

When John Wright Senior was advertising as John Wright and sons both John Junior and Samuel were both living in Cleveland and working as assemblers for auto.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Over the years I have tried to locate a rifle from each of the employees of Hoffman Arms Co. who went out on their own and made rifles under their name.

I have one picture of the Hoffman rifle made by Frank Hoffman before the company started in Cleveland. That's it I've never seen a single other rifle that I knew was made by Frank Hoffman.

I have located rifles by
John Dubiel
Eric Johnson (Ardmore, OK)
James V.Howe
Harvey Rodgers
John Wright & Sons

I know of another possible rifle that may have been made by a Hoffman employ but have not confirmed that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, interesting stuff. Your picture with the Wright, Adolph, and Griffin-Pope-Wright rifles shows rifles by which Wright ? I am struck by what I would call the non-English look of the carving and checkering. Would you think it a common motif from an English background? You mention John Wright Jr. probably stocking at G and H in the earlier 20s. That would put him there at the time Adolph is suspected of being there. Could there be some Adolph or other German part to those Wright rifles ? I say this without knowing the Hoffman influence on the Oklahoma guns.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/01/12 05:55 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl,

You bring up some very good points, many that I have mulled over for years. Every source I have shows that Wright did the carving at Hoffman. Nothing I would expect from an English trained gunsmith.

There has always been some lingering doubt right up until the time I acquired the Wright rifle. I guess one of the big question is who carved the Wright & Sons rifle. Did senior teach junior to carve or did he send the stock to Cleveland to have Junior do it.

This is Cleveland Hoffman No. 20, Cleveland Hoffman No. 24 is stocked by J.V. Howe.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Your picture with the Wright, Adolph, and Griffin-Pope-Wright rifles shows rifles by which Wright ?"

Would have to been Jr, Sr did not arrive in the USA until 1925 and went to Ardmore. The picture is from circa 1923 Griffin and Howe brochure.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I have found in my files the same rifles in a G and H brochure you listed with the names or Wright, Adolph, and Griffin-Pope-Wright. I know virtually nothing about these rifles compared to the frequent posters on this board, but how were the names assigned to the group of rifles, with the lower one left unknown ? My brochure [assumed 1923-1924] has no names with the rifles in the brochure.

The Wright rifles shown in the G and H brochure would have to be John Wright Jr. The checkering and carving on these rifles would be by whom ?

If John Wright Jr. did the checkering and carving, it seems a good question as to who taught him. If these rifles were checkered and carved by Wright Jr. , then it seems he could have done the same when he moved on to Hoffman in Ardmore. Is that what you meant when you said that "Wright" did the checkering and carving in Ardmore. Or did you mean Wright Sr. did the Ardmore checkering and carving ?

Well, there are more questions, but those can wait. Thank you.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/01/12 06:58 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the confusion, The names in the brochure are mine.

More questions than answers could be the name of this thread. I'm trying to sort it all out and think I need to sign up for getting into the records in England.

Here is some stuff from my files, I believe that Pete supplied the England part.

John R. Wright is listed in the 1901 England census as residing with his wife, Ada, in Willesden, Middlesex. His sons names were John R. (5 y.o.) and Samuel G. (2 y.o.) and Mr. Wrigtht's occupation is listed as "Gunmaker". Mr. Wright, Ada and the eldest son were all born in Birmingham. Samuel was born in Willesden, Middlesex.
Ada and Samuel G. Wright (mother and son) arrived in the USA from Southampton, UK aboard the S.S. President Roosevelt on February 6, 1926. Ada'a age was 53 and Samuel was 26. Samuel's occupation was listed as Gunsmith. Their last permanent residence was London but they listed their nearest living relative as Ada's sister, Mrs. F.H. Mason at 305 Witten Rd in Ashton, Birmingham. Their final destination was to be Ardmore, OK where, I would assume, they were to meet Ada's husband, John. According to the 1930 US census John (senior) arrived in the USA the year before Ada but I've not yet found him on the passenger manifests.

Still more. Samuel G Wright, Gunsmith, his wife, Lily G., and their 3 children traveled (returned?) to England aboard the Steamship 'Majestic' in August 1932. Their proposed address in the UK was Hillside Dow, Brickhill, Bletchley, Buckinghamshire.

In 1958 John's son, Samuel G., visited the USA with his wife, Lillian G. They returned to the UK aboard the Queen Elizabeth. Their address was listed as 141 Exeter Road, Harrow. At that time Samuel's occupation was shown as 'Engineer'. Samuel's birth date is given as September 3, 1899.

Name: Samuel Wright auto plant
Home in 1930: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Lily
Samuel Wright 30
Lily Wright 26
Vera C Wright 6
Eileen Wright 4 6/12
Donald J Wright 2/12
John R. Wright Jr.
I've found the passenger manifest where John Wright's son, John, came over in 1923. Also found the manifest where John (the son)'s wife, Emily K. came over in 1925 with their 2 children. The were from Cardiff and were headed for Cleveland. It indicates that Emily's maiden name was Loxton. The children were John J. (3 y.o.) and Grace M. (1 y.o.). John R. Wright (the son) came over on the S.S. President Polk, arriving in New York on Sept. 26, 1923.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In 1932 I lost John R. Wright Sr. he disappeared off my radar. I've not done a search in a few years so more records could have been added.

One thing that I hope this thread will do is to bring out more Wright rifles. Hard to make a case with just one rifle ;-).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.