May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Birdog, bushveld, playing hooky, 1 invisible), 414 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,786
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd like to ask for help defining (succinctly) the term "hand-made" or "hand-crafted" as it applies to the making of of double-barrel sporting shotguns or rifles.

To narrow that, I'm really thinking of the criteria for "traditional" gunmaking as it was practiced in the pre-CNC/CAD-CAM era but modern enough to include the use of machinery -- i.e. Industrial Age and after.

I'm thinking: non-interchangeable components, manually operated machinery, and fitting, assembly and finishing by hand.

Additions welcomed and debate encouraged.

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like your definition. I'm not sure of the "interchangeable" part,rather the components should be made using hand tools or maually operated machinery sounds better to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I take it you refer to the likes of Webley and Scott . Where parts were machined to within a set tolerance then hand filed and fitted . The whole thing being filed up by hand so that the individual crafts man "left his imprint" .
I doubt very strongly that any gun making has taken place since the advent of the breech loader that has not been of this type. Even in the percussion days Lock parts were either forged or partially machined ,then filed up in a jig often I understand by the apprentices before assembly by the "masters".

Sidelock
Sidelock

All guns are "hand made". How many have you seen assembled by foot? Or by mouth? Or whatever other part of human anatomy one might care to use?
nial

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nial, your definition would be "hand-assembled" ... would it not?

Sidelock
Sidelock

nialmac,To be pedantic, they are not hand made they are made by hand . That is made using tools that are held and maniplulated by hand . Even my fingres wont cut steel ,though at the end of most days they fell like sand paper. Mind you some of the bodge jobs and cock ups I've seen lately I begin to wonder .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Venters:
A rather perplexing question indeed from the author of "Gun Craft... Fine Guns & Gumankers In The 21st Century."

Nonetheless, your terms seem ambiguous. All guns are "hand-made." Some are even "hand-crafted." Human hands can build an AR-15. Human hands can craft a Galazan RBL. Does this make them fine guns? Hardly.

Furthermore, you can't reliably swap bolts in an M-1 Garand. Does this strict non-interchangeability give it special rank? Certainly not.

What's more, one can apply the rubric of hand fitting, assembly and finishing to most any of the above. None of which elevates them in the slightest.

What you are probably asking is what makes a Purdey, Holland, Fabbri, or Boss stand above the rest. In a nutshell, it is skill, dedication, tradition, plus a commitment to precision and art. Mix well and nurture for a a few centuries, and you might have a fine gunmaker.

Or the definition you seek.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a difference in the tools used, Vic.

I doubt the raw forging that becomes a modern day "Handmade gun" was forged over charcoal, so everything has changed.

A definition as you seek may be as elusive as 'Horizontal line" or "Honest politician".

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kensal, very good points. I'm going to have to rub my head a bit on that.

However, I am not asking what necessarily makes a "best gun" (as the makers you mention), as the techniques and materials could also be applied to other-grade guns that are made by largely the same methods. The comments Gunman made re Webley & Scott are what I was getting at.

As to the perplexing nature of my question, this author has always thought himself a journalist who write about guns rather than a "gunwriter" who knows it all. There's more than a semantic difference -- the more craftsmen I have visited the more I realize how little I know ... Hence the question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole issue of "hand-made" or "hand-crafted," presumably in contrast to "machine-made" is a fascinating subject. These distinctions, many of them very artificial, apply to most material objects including guns.

If anyone wishes to pursue the philosophy of this subject, I recommend: The Nature and Aesthetics of Design by David Pye (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1978) Although the book deals with domestic artifacts Pye formulates a good analysis of "machine-work" vs "hand-work" and the issues that value each.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.