March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
nhunter #265576 02/13/12 10:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to say, this has been one of the better discussions. I'll toss in my 2 cents.

As I see it, the issue with sleeving that affects value is that post-sleeving the barrels are no longer original. Collectors and people who look at their guns not just as shooting tools but as storehouses of value will devalue the sleeved gun because of the lack of originality. On the other hand, the owners of guns who look at their guns as a tool or instrument, will tend to look upon the sleeved gun as neither better nor worse - as a shooting instrument - than the original gun. I can't think of any situation where an original gun in serviceable condition will be sleeved - the barrels are in acceptable condition. It's when the barrels have progressed through use or, more likely, abuse and/or neglect to the point of unserviceability that sleeving becomes an option to turn a useless piece of metal and wood into a shooting instrument once more. So, the $200 scrap/parts gun becomes a useful gun again.

It's the interplay of money - actualized and potential - and usefulness that's at issue here.

I would not hesitate to shoot or own a properly sleeved gun, if it presented itself. And I'd buy one, if the price were right and I wanted it.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 02/14/12 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
nhunter #265591 02/14/12 12:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first Parker I ever bought with my own money was sleeved (probably why it was affordable) and it is still one of my favorites. In the proper context, there is nothing wrong with sleeved guns.

nhunter #265622 02/14/12 09:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also consider the options for sleeving - you can make a tired 26" barreled gun into a 32" barreled gun at little cost. Thereby you have a piece that you would not be able to buy because you can't find one. So, rather than look endlessly for hen's teeth, you go and buy a gun cheaply and make it what you want in an affordable way.

For example, you want a 32" barreled 20-bore hammer gun. You will NEVER find one. But you can take a tired 26" one and sleeve it. Then when you sell it it represents something that is very hard to find. Anyone who wants one will have little else to choose from. Therefore, if done well and ticking the boxes, it will sell nicely.

The long term serviceability and safety in sleeved guns is a debate past its sell-by date. It is a NON ISSUE. Quality sleeving these days is akin to new barrels if done using modern best practice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand the American inclination for originality when they seem to apply the opposite to those they spend their lives with!

I won't impute motives. Just a Valentine Day's thought.

nhunter #265673 02/14/12 12:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I always read posts where I see your name. Thanks, that was good.

nhunter #265776 02/14/12 10:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 King.

If you think we Americans are bad that way ... don't go to Brazil.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
nhunter #265798 02/14/12 11:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good barrel sleeving by competent hands is just that and I have not hesitated to consider having it done when appropriate. When appropriate is when the current barrels are not serviceable and the gun is of the quality to make it worth saving.

I have a fine hammer gun whose sleeving looks good and the balance is excellent. I have little doubt the barrels lost were beyond further use.

I currently have a gun with Kirk Merrington which I have no doubt will be worth the bother.

I do caution anyone wanting to lengthen a gun through sleeving the price of ribs added to that of sleeving makes it a very expensive project. To pursue it requires a truly exceptional gun in need of barrels to consider it. That said you will never make money on the project regardless of gauge.

I accept those who do not desire a sleeved gun as opposed to original barrels as a matter of taste. There are both good and bad examples of sleeving out there.

For me I prefer not to sleeve, but there are times when no options exist except parting out, which I see as a worse act when the gun is quality

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I can't think of any situation where an original gun in serviceable condition will be sleeved - the barrels are in acceptable condition.

Although I am unable to give any statistical numbers here I can very well recall when Sleeving was highly promoted as a method of putting "Damaccus" bbl'd guns into service. I highly suspect a good number of these were sleeved which in fact had good servicable bbls. This was a Pity. I don't think this is being done much anymore,thankfully.

I find no fault to sleeving a set of unusable bbls if the gun otherwise warants it. The cost simply has to be compared with what can be found in a similar price bracket for a gun with original bbls. I would not for instnce give the same amount of dollars to sleeve a gun as what I could buy the same model gun with good original bbls. This would let out sleeving most of the guns I own. I have for instance an H grade Lefever with unusable bbls & a cracked stock. For I also mhave some more H grades for which the combined total I gave for them would not put this gun back in service. It would simply not be cost effective, so I keep it for a parts gun.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
nhunter #265857 02/15/12 12:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had a sleeved hammer gun with ok but not great sleeved barrels, that were a little heavy. I now own a sleeved Best with very good sleeving, that is almost impossible to see, great balance and with original barrels would have been out of my price range. I expect to use this gun for 10 years and don't expect to lose money.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm reviving this classic thread for another question.

Originally Posted By: Joe in Charlotte

I have seen many guns where, I felt they were paying me to take the gun. Take any 12 BLNE that has been sleeved, in today's market you'd never recoupe the cost of sleeving. I consider those guns (especially the BLEs) a tremendous value.

With the growth of non-toxic shot requirements for bird hunting in the US, I've gotten tired of using my modern guns for steel. I'd much rather be using a British game gun. I shoot enough at birds that Nice Shot isn't practical.

I've thought about buying a recently-sleeved and (maybe) refinished gun in England, adjusting the chokes to the proper constriction, and having it reproofed for steel. Would you guys expect that a top notch modern sleeving job would pass a steel proof?

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.