April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stanton Hillis, Ken Georgi), 1,077 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
tilia77 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello Raimey,

thank you , really, I missed the slash between the numbers, now it is clear. I would like to thank you for your really rich help on my questions, it is funny, that about Hungarian guns You can get the most informations from the USA :-)
If I could do/search/photo something from Hungary for You or for somebody in this forum, you can contact me everytime.

Zoltán

Sidelock
Sidelock

Zoltan - thanks for sharing a couple interesting guns with us.

I think we would all be interested in learning about hunting in Hungary. I've seen a couple ads for bird hunting there and would like to learn more.

And welcome to the site.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
tilia77 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello Dave,

thank you. It is not too easy to write about everything in a topic, like hunting in Hungary. Is there any speciality, which You are interested in?
If You would like to be a hunter, You have to make a three step examination, on law, gun-handling and knowledges about the animals. After that You have to get some licences from the doctor, and from the police, in order to buy a gun. After that You have to buy the licence for hunting in Hungary. And if You have all of this, you can hunt as a member in a hunting association or as a guest somewhere. In Hungary hunting costs a couple of money :-))
Normally, in Hungary there is a list of animals, which You can hunt throughout the whole year or only in the periods, written in the law. Animals, like for example fox, wild-pig, or badger or magpie You can hunt all over the year. For the different deer cultivars, divided on sex and trophy, there is only a period, when You are allowed to shoot (for example between the first of September and 31 of October).
Bird hunting is not the same, like ages ago. The growing and caring of wild birds become more and more importance, but large amounts You can only shoot there, where You pay for it and where the birds are left free, exactly before their hunt. I cannot explain it better, sorry for it.
The historical abundance of the wild birds or rabbits in Hungary is already over, if You want to shoot a lot of them, You have to pay very very much. For example on places like these: shooting a rabbit costs 35€/piece, a pheasant 18€/piece. You can imagine, how much money you can give out, if you want to hunt at such places.
If You are a member in a hunting association, which have an area where they are allowed to hunt, You can shoot free birds or rabbits, but there are not so many.
OK, now I have to go working, if I can write more about something, please, let me know.
Zoltán

Sidelock
Sidelock

And the tubes are most likely NOT from Germany- there a "Nicht Fur Kugel" stamping would indicate the same thing. Interesting the shape of the ejector blade 'tails' and also the two set-screws on the water table-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been bird hunting in Hungary three times over the last 10+ years, most recently last October. Each time a different outfitter / location. In 2001, we finished up the hunting by staying in the hunting lodge of Janos Kadar, the head of government, and the person who betrayed the country during the 1956 revolution.

Each one of these experiences was outstanding, which is why I have kept going back.

Rob Schaul

Last edited by Claybird; 02/20/12 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
tilia77 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes the tubes are from Hungary, it was cleared up, but I thought first they were from Belgium.
I saw some FEG shotguns and the structure is overall the same, it does not matter they are from the 40-s or from the 70-s. What do You understand on set crews on the water table? Which part You mean with this? Perhaps I can clear You up, what they are for.
Zoltán

Sidelock
Sidelock

Zoltan:

Francis may be looking at ejectors/extractors on the Lump images I posted but I think they are the same. Glad to offer some info and I'll take up on the research effort there in Hungary, possibly in the form of a raincheck. Marks of any and all Hungarian doubles would be interesting to me as well as the info on any of the gunsmiths from Budapest to Bucharest, Romania. Have you seen many Romanian sporting weapons?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

tilia77 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi,

OK, if I can help somehow, let me know. Until then, I try to make some photos about the Hungarian guns oy my colleagues, about proofmarks etc.
I do not know and have not seen any Romanian shotguns until now. I have a pal in Romania, I try to contact him and ask for some pictures, he has some friends, who are hunting.
Zoltán

Sidelock
Sidelock

The folks at FEG do some interesting things. Here is a FEG Model 100-S 12 gauge box lock, and its fore end:

The device inset in the body of the fore end is the ‘kicker’ which makes gun a box lock ejector (BLE). But if that assembly is removed:

And the fore end re-installed, the gun becomes a box lock non-ejector (BLNE); an extractor only gun. That’s a nice feature to have. If one is involved in a driven hunt when the birds are coming fast and hard, ejectors are worth their weight in gold. But if we are shooting skeet where it is polite to pick up one’s expended hulls, then extractors are just the ticket.

But the creativity of the folks at FEG doesn’t end there. Here is a FEG 16 gauge SxS:

Note the plunger behind the trigger guard and the absence of a top lever. The plunger does the function of the missing top lever. The fore end of this gun also has the separate ejector assembly:

Here is a top view of the gun, where the absence of a top lever is especially obvious:

Note the push through button just behind the breasts of the standing breech. This button controls whether the safety is automatic (goes to the ‘ON’ position when the action is opened), or manual (remains in whatever position the shooter last set it). Also a nice feature, and allows the hunter to have an automatic safety when in the field, and the clays shooter to have a manual safety that doesn’t crimp his style.

Almost forgot to add: left barrel is choked Cyl, right barrel is choked IM. That's not a typo, front trigger fires an IM bbl, rear trigger fires a Cyl bbl.

Wild stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure many have seen more than I. These guns also have vertical dovetail chopper lump barrels. Are there any other guns that have this besides the Winchester 21?

I had a 1970 Monte Carlo with excellent barrel regulation and choked .005 and .015 in 12 gauge; a real bird getter. One of my grandsons now has it.

Last edited by 2holer; 02/22/12 08:30 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.