April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl
I do love that pin fire false hammer! Must have beem an old guy who ordered that - probably shot one as a boy and thought he would bring some of his youthful memories back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oldfarmer, you could be right. It is a 16 bore, making it a bit more uncommon, I'd guess. Here are a couple of guns that are maybe in between outside hammer/inside hammer cocking lever guns. It's the Bentley patent on a Warilow and a Thomas Turner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an American version. This is the American Arms Co. of Boston, Patented March 21, 1882 and May 29, 1883. It came in both single barrel and double barrel and was called "Semi-Hammerless" Trade-Mark. I believe the patent was by Whitmore. Oddly, the buttplate is marked American Arms, Bluffton, Alabama.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/21/12 12:22 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What cracking bits of workmanship. I guess these are leaning more towards cocking indicators rather than a way of manualy cocking/decocking the hammers. I assume they have to have barrel cocking otherwise it would be fairly difficult to cock them with those stubby leavers. I know there were several different ideas including little windows to show if the hammers are cocked. I always thought these pretty pointless on a hammerless gun as when you open it they are both cocked and you should be aware of when you have fired the gun.
John
Posts crossed - I was refering to the Thomas Turner!!

Last edited by Oldfarmer; 02/21/12 12:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I always thought the Bentley patent allowed you to cock the gun from the outside, but I have never owned one. Now, I am not sure if it is a barrel cocker, too, but would guess it is. That would make it like the Fukert patent which is a barrel cocker, but can also be cocked, albiet not so easily, with the thumb pushing the vestidual hammers. Maybe someone out there has a Bentley patent and can help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked in Crudgington and Baker and find the Bentley patent is for only the sidelock/hammer configuration and not for cocking the hammers , by dropdown barrels or other means. I think the Turner gun is a toplever cocking gun. I would guess that any Bentley patent guns that we see might self cock differently than the next one we see. I think they are cool guns and marvel at the workmanship.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I would want the barrels pointing skywards if I was decocking on a cold, wet day, trying to keep my thumb pressed onto those leaves!!
If we haven't resolved it by June I will ask David Baker his opinion as he is hoping to come to our Perrins meet.
There was loads of inovation going on around then - I have never seen one - but have read about hammer guns with barrel cocking and even ejectors - now that gives the best of everything.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I too think this is the most fun period. I see a safety on the Warilow and assume the lever cocking Turner has one, too. I might guess one would Uncock these guns much like is done with a hammerless of normal design. I always try to uncock the Fukert with my thumb on the small hammer, but it does not feel safe. I always admire self cocking hammer guns , especially with ejectors, when I see them in an auction. Unfortunately, someone with deeper pockets admires them , too. Good luck on your Perrins meet. It sounds so fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Moore and Grey looks very similar to a duel ignition gun .Wonder if that how it started life ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was just looking through Diggory Haddocks book on vintage guns and on page 92 he illustartes a Bently semi-hammerless gun similar to the Thomas - but with no leaf attachments - so no possibility of using them to either cock or de cock the hammers - i guess someone felt the need to invent snap caps?
John

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.