May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (UncleKP, KDGJ, Jimmy W, R. Glenz, Argo44, R Reynolds), 1,019 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,526
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

Get a Beretta Ultrlight! I have one with over 50,000 rounds through it and no problem yet! Great guns for what you want to use it for in the future. Do not be afraid to buy a used gun!

Good luck,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might find a Beretta with a steel frame that will be almost as light as a Browning with an aluminum alloy frame. I generally prefer the feel of the Beretta and the looks of the Guerini. I have only two alloy-framed guns (at least that's all I can remember right now), and one of those is a Browning Feather XS. Absolutely great gun, but it's a .410 so wear is not an issue. My other alloy O/U is a Cortona (FAIR) Alumino in 12 ga. I bought it mainly for pheasants and chukar, because I didn't want to spend the money on a 687 Ultralight. I highly recommend the Alumino as an alternative if you can find one, came only in 28" barrel length.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An Aluminum alloy receiver poses different problems than steel receiver guns but in practicality today, unless you are a competitive shooter, you should not experience any more problems than a steel gun would present.
Choose what fits best and what you like and forget about the rest. Just be careful around caustics with aluminum alloy.
If I ever find a Browning 16 Feather Superlight for a reasonable price, I will purchase it.-Dick

hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you everyone for your replies. Im going to look at Berettas and CG's in about a hour, i will post a full report.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HR,
I found the quality of a Beretta to be better than the Guerini. Strip the forend off both and look at the machining. If all things were equal, I'd opt for the B-gun. But all things are never equal. That's what makes all this decision stuff fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend has an AL frame K-80. I am sure it has shot 6 figures and it is still going strong
bill

hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back from the gun shop. Couple of things, the beretta ultralight only comes in a 2 3/4 in receiver, i want 3 in capabilities. The wild Alberta pheasants are tough and i need as mush help as possible.
I really liked the standard silver pigeon grade 1 in the fact compared to the Browning their use of steel is way better engineered (thin reciever, fit and finish). The problem with the gun is the darn grip is tight, i have a big wide hand. Not a deal breaker but it does bug me.

There was only one CG at the shop and it was in 20 guage, i like the stock better than the Beretta for sure but couldnt really make a good comparison because the lack of a 12 guage.

The Brownings were nice guns also, liked the prince of wales grip but they are heavier.

The guy was really pushing a Franchi on me, it was 1000 dollars cheaper, alloy receiver, and 3 in capable. Kind of sloppy in the checkering though. For a 1000 dollar difference i would expect a big difference in quality from the Beretta. Whats everyones opinions on Franchi?

Whatever i decide to buy the stock is going to need some serious cutting to fit me, ive got wide shoulders and a thick chest and everything i handled was way off.

Anyway, im going to send an email to Beretta and see if an english stock is possible on the lower end SP guns.

If anyone has any opinions or picks for a o/u in the 2500 dollar range i would appreciate some input. thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Cortona Alumino came with a straight grip and 3" chambers. That's the way mine is configured. Weight is 6-7 with 28" barrels and choke tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The new Franchi Instinct SL is a great feeling little gun, but at 5.3 pounds for a 20ga it would be punishing with 3" loads. The local dealer here in town carries both Beretta and Franchi. He said the new Franchis are going fast as they offer a happy medium between the low end Stoegers and the higher end Berettas. I will admit that while the fit and finish is nowhere near the level done on a Beretta, for $1,000 it looks pretty damn good. Take the other $1k you would spend on the Beretta and buy a pallet of ammo.

I don't know why you need 3" to shoot pheasants. They can easily be killed with 2.5" #6 Copper Loads from RST.

hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another question. How does a Rizzini in the 2500 dollar price range stack up against a Beretta?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.