May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,393
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've tried Easy Off. It will remove the oil in the stock, it keeps weeping oil for a while, and you have to remove it. I can't tell any damage to the stock, but then the stock I used it on was a P 14 Enfield, and it had LOTS of grease in it. It looked fine for a miltary rifle.

How it would work on a fine gun, I don't know. I think you'd have to do a lot of work on regaining the grain of the stock and possibly filling the pores. But as for removing grease and oil, it does a fine job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's really oil soaked, and not just dirty externally, I don't think you have much choice but to remove the wood and get the oil out. Eventually, the wood will become soft and punky and much more prone to splitting from recoil. It isn't a very big deal to remove the wood on most guns.

I usually start with a scrubbing with household ammonia because ammonia will turn the oils into a soap which is water soluble. Rinse this mess off with plenty of hot water and allow the wood to dry before solvent soaking. This gets a lot of crud out in the beginning. By doing this first step with cheap ammonia, you get more mileage out of expensive solvents.

As PA24 notes, oil bleed can be a problem because the oil is often deeply impregnated into the wood. I've done some very bad ones with low oven heat with the wood wrapped in paper towels followed by solvent soaks until I thought the oil was gone. If I set the wood aside for several weeks and then get back to it for further repairs or refinishing, I sometimes find more oil has migrated to the surface. Because of this, I think it's best to do any crack glueing as quickly as possible after the solvent is evaporated.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As an experiment I once put a gun stock in the dish washer. It came out very clean and bleached looking ,but stained down well.Not a thing I would recommend except in certain circumstances ,plus the grief I got from my wife about the smell of oil that lingered in the machine for days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

treblig1958, there is no way to remove all of the oil from the wood without disassembly. None, nada, neyt. Sorry. 30 years of refinishing gunstocks for others has revealed inletting of older guns can be stubborn and "hold" oil for a long time. Some even get tougher than PA24's time line. I have just finished a Blair SxS which took four months to stop bleeding oil in the head area. Each time I thought it was gone...black spots reappeared. One just has to keep at it until it is gone.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done the acetone soak on MANY guns. Maybe it was wrong, but there are so many that I did and in 10yrs. I see no damage under the Tru-Oil finish I applied as soon as I could. I have a tub I bought from the Dollar General that I can place the stocks in. Fill up the remained areas with more small plastic containers so I don't need to buy as much acetone and let them soak. Drain off all the old oily acetone, to reuse for other projects and do a final soak in new, clean acetone. I am happy with my results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good luck scrubbing with Murphys Oil Soap before soaking. Gets a lot of the dirt and a fair amount of the finish off. Scrub the checkering with a toothbrush.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Genelang:
That's a good point and I tend to use oven cleaner on military riles more than any others because there's usually a combination of deep oils and cosmolene you're dealing with and they can be hard to get out. I've never had a problem after the fact with oven cleaner. If this was a problem just imagine the effect it would have on you with any missed residue in your oven after cleaning!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks gentlemen, that's what I was afraid of, disassembly. I'm going to try and clean the outside with Murphy's oil soap first and if that doesn't work take it to a gunsmith for cleaning. I remember taking apart a gun this old before and ended up with buggered screws. I'll pay the bill if I have too letting someone else take it apart. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

An old post but I thought I'd add my new experience with Murphys Oil used to clean up furniture on old guns.

Picture taken just after I walked out of the gunshop.

About a month ago I bought a W. Richards 12 gauge side lever. (Ok, I know it's not a Westley Richards but it was complete, solid, locked up tight on face, matching numbers and looks to me like Birmingham proof marks. And the price was right.)

I haven't done anything with it but today I took it over to the gun club as a show and tell. One old curmudgeon told me to use Murphys Oil to clean the crud off the wood. I tried it this afternoon and was amazed at the results. I used burlap cloth on the thick spots, a fiber bristle brush on checkering and scrubbed hard with old terrycloth rag.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hanging the stock in an oven and slowly bringing the temp up will pull out any deep in oil. I had one that the oil was running out of the head and left a puddle on the sheet under the stock.

I only do this if multiple acetone soaks does not remove the oil and it continues to come to the surfsce.

B.Dudley
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.