March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz, SKB), 331 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
But..but...REAL MEN shoot 12 gauges mad!
- Yup-- Nash Buckingham, Paul A. Curtis, Ray P. Holland, Havilah Babcock, Gene Hill. With New Era ammo closing its doors, this leaves RST, B&P and a few other 'custom ammo makers' to load the 2.5" light 16 loads for those fine older shorter than 2 & 3/4" chambered shotguns. Why put your money on a "under-dog"-- buy a light 12 and shoot any kind of light load through it that would "strain" a: 28, 20 or even the bastard 16 gauge. Or shoot a std 12 load in it when the game or clays game calls for it--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Because it's my money and I'll put it where I want to. Further, it's not just about weight- shorten the chamber all you want and make it as light as you dare: it's still .729. Size does matter.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Buzz #273208 03/29/12 10:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ergonomics,ergonomics (what ever that means).

12 ga barrels....too fat

20 ga barrels....to skinny

16 ga barrels....juuust right on a double; svelt cool

Last edited by 2holer; 03/29/12 10:11 PM.
2holer #273209 03/29/12 10:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2holer

12 ga barrels....too fat

Oh Ja! Now we be draggin' Da Swedes into this fray, eh-- Svelt-- Swan (read MI John Traver's "Danny and the Boys") as "Da Yoop has Swedes uppa da ying-yang.

If my 12 side-by-sides (some "mike at .730" NOT .729- thank you very much) are " too fat"then what is the Lindner Daly 10 bore with 32" Krupp krautski steel barrels come in at--Roseanne Barr- Ophra Winfrey-- Aretha Franklin-- Now you slap one of dem dead beavers and their piece of wooden tail onto a nice Crown Smith 12- and Ja- too bulky indeed. But not the barrels per se. I would rather have a .729 or even a .730 NBD to work with and vary the load it shoots to the game- You want a superb quail gun? You take your nice BHE Parker 16, even on a size O frame with 28" barrels-- I'll take a Woodward or a Churchill or a Boss Limey 12 with 28 inch barrels also, 2.5" chambers and proofed for 1 & 1/8 oz. loads and throw waaay more efficient patterns- assuming the same choke constrictions, shot size and ounce load and distance as your 16 bore--and have a gun that weighs about the same. Same as API pressure and flow characteristics in a pipe- the larger the ID (and with proportional schedule or wall thickness) the more efficient the delivery- and shotty gun barrels are a form of pipes, are they not??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Buzz #273212 03/29/12 10:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, it's just a hunk of pipe with a nail at one end.

I have 2 16's, neither a double. Both are great fun, and are built on 20 gauge frames. A M-12 and a S-16. Both are lovely shotguns.

I'm a huge fan of the Fiocchi GT loads. This is a beautiful, smooth shooting, consistent, and reliable shotshell. It's part of what makes the 16 so much fun.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dollysods
Mr. Brown "brainwashed" me to the attributes of the 16 ga. years ago on the old "AllOutdoors" board and I will forever be in his debt. Grouse and woodcock are my passion and the 16 ga. with light 1 oz. & 7/8 oz. loads is in my mind perfect for these birds.

Rick

Rick, I work under cover for the fine side by side dealers. Having convinced a few people of the virtues of the 16, I'm now working hard to convince them that light 12's are just the thing. No relationship to the fact that there are a whole lot of light 12's on the market now, many at very attractive prices . . . smile

Seriously, you're right. A nice, light 16 is about perfect for grouse and woodcock. I happen to shoot most of mine these days with a 20. And even though I complain about ammo and reloading issues with the 16, I'm still tempted every time I see a really nice one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: 2holer

12 ga barrels....too fat

Oh Ja! Now we be draggin' Da Swedes into this fray, eh-- Svelt-- Swan (read MI John Traver's "Danny and the Boys") as "Da Yoop has Swedes uppa da ying-yang.

If my 12 side-by-sides (some "mike at .730" NOT .729- thank you very much) are " too fat"then what is the Lindner Daly 10 bore with 32" Krupp krautski steel barrels come in at--Roseanne Barr- Ophra Winfrey-- Aretha Franklin-- Now you slap one of dem dead beavers and their piece of wooden tail onto a nice Crown Smith 12- and Ja- too bulky indeed. But not the barrels per se. I would rather have a .729 or even a .730 NBD to work with and vary the load it shoots to the game- You want a superb quail gun? You take your nice BHE Parker 16, even on a size O frame with 28" barrels-- I'll take a Woodward or a Churchill or a Boss Limey 12 with 28 inch barrels also, 2.5" chambers and proofed for 1 & 1/8 oz. loads and throw waaay more efficient patterns- assuming the same choke constrictions, shot size and ounce load and distance as your 16 bore--and have a gun that weighs about the same. Same as API pressure and flow characteristics in a pipe- the larger the ID (and with proportional schedule or wall thickness) the more efficient the delivery- and shotty gun barrels are a form of pipes, are they not??

And when did you go off your meds?

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Buzz #273243 03/30/12 09:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a gun shop that I frequent that has a Cresent 16 ga. hammer gun with fluid barrels and a short stock for a teen or woman and 28" barrels for $350. Bores are clean and brite. Private mail me if anyone is interested in the address of the shop.

W. E. Boyd
Buzz #273255 03/30/12 11:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can not think of one drawback in owning and shooting the 16 bore, not one and that goes for all of them I own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Be careful with the Federal Estates, they have a paper based inner wad that has been known to loosen and could lodge in your barrel.
This is especially true if you find them after they have been lying on the ground after a dew or rain.

I use the Cheddite red hulls that come primed already that were available from Grafs. They were 2 9/16" and I roll crimp them.
The black Remingtons are good if you can find them.

All good points, true, and worth heeding. I try to steer away from hulls found on the ground. I also have some of the Cheddites, and the black Remmies, too.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.