May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Oberndorf, Drew Hause, Hugh Lomas, Tim Wolf, SKB, 1 invisible), 242 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,420
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30
GWP #27429 02/23/07 02:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must say this is the best treatise I have read in defense of 2nd amendment rights, written by guys who think the same as I do, but able to express themselves much more eloquently.

I'm savin' it.

Thank you Greg Tag, et.al.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reality, for the vast majority of Americans, whether perceived or otherwise, is what the network news, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, tells you it is and they are blatantly anti-gun. It won’t be long now before the restrictions start rolling out of Washington/Hollywood.

GWP #27446 02/23/07 09:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is Mr. Zumbo, like so many here, merely saying how he feels about some automatic firearms as double owners do? This board influenced my decision to get rid of clickety-clacks and become the purist of my youth. I've taken up archery again and thinking differently about the boom-bangs.

David Petzal and Jim Zumbo may be espousing a "lighter footprint" of environmentalism to draw off unreasoned heat, to set out clearly that sportsmen aren't group-think. Rightly or wrongly, justified or otherwise, in this case, leaders lead and from what I'm reading here he's done well for sportsmen for a long time.

Personally, I've been bolt-action since 1939 and wouldn't hunt seriously with a guy carrying an AR-15. The first shot counts. Saying that in a public forum should not be "a death wish" any more than saying we're liberal or conservative, Mormon or atheist (although the latter is apparently the most despised minority in the United States). Must we choose between PBS, CNN and Fox News?

All the above, of course, are welcomed in our home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by HomelessjOe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a hunter and like Zumbo I see no need for the hunter to own a military type firearm.

Originally Posted By: Greg Tag
...why not provide me some counter-citations and we will discuss this like civilized gentlemen? ...the scenario and the response are both unlikely, but that is what the Founding Fathers envisioned.

The Founding Fathers could not envision the warfare and weaponry of today. As I said earlier, there was little difference in weaponry between redcoats and Continentals.

Today's infantry works with communications, armor, air support, firepower and training that can quickly overwhelm untrained civilians with small arms. Most US casualties in Iraq have come from IEDs and car bombs, which are indiscriminate weapons more lethal to unarmed civilians than to "the occupying forces" - hardly what the Founding Fathers envisioned.

Quote:
...in my reference to the Slovenes and Croats...I merely pointed out that light infantry of militia-type model had been sucessful in battle against an organized regular army. Are you suggesting that the analogy is not good simply because there were cultural issues involved?

Not "simply because," but nationalism is a superb motivator and plays a huge role in the Balkans. But remember that Yugoslavia was a cobbled-together police state that had lost its ramrod leader and was in a state of economic and moral disintegration at the time. The Serb forces were indifferently equipped and badly led and did not have access to the military technology of the modern state.

Quote:
The Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto did a pretty good job as well. So did the Hungarian republican forces in 1956.

And they lost. Even back in the days of cannon-fodder armies, small arms didn't hold up well against armor, artillery and air power.

Quote:
The Afghan Mujahadeen performed pretty creditably against Soviet heavy forces too. Many of them armed with Lee-Enfields.

Again, working with substantial outside support (including US missiles) against a demoralized army from a bankrupt country, and soldiered by deeply religious people who cheerfully gave up their lives for Allah.

Even our Founding Fathers and our Continentals wouldn't have made it without two great advantages: (1) the redcoats were two months and 3,000 miles from their logistical base, and (2) we got significant financial, material, military and naval support from France. Somehow, I don't think we'll be able to count on French support next time.

The days of cannon-fodder armies are over, and the daydream of glory a la Sergeant York is being blown away by satellites, GPS, Hellfire missiles, Blackhawks, field computers, and weaponry beyond imagining by the Founding Fathers.

Fortunately, most of the guys who fondle their Chinese junk ARs and dream of glory will grow up before they hurt someone. Those who don't can be handled easily by any small town police SWAT team.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
[quote=Greg Tag]

Fortunately, most of the guys who fondle their Chinese junk ARs and dream of glory will grow up before they hurt someone.

Let's hope they do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, if you don't care to own a military style firearm, that's fine, and I'll support your right to feel that way and to hunt with the firearm of your choice. BUT, if someone else happens to hunt happily, safely and ethically with an AR-15, do you have the right to tell him he can't, and to even suggest that he "doesn't need" that particular gun?

As has been stated here, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. It is a right that all of us, whether we own fine double guns or black semi-autos, enjoy and had better start defending with much vigor or we're going to loose out big-time.

Let the camel get his nose under the tent flap, and pretty soon he'll be inside. Same thing with the anti-gun crowd. I've come to the conclusion over the years that it really doesn't matter what type of firearm you choose, the anti-gunn crowd wants them all. Thus the fight against gun control must include ALL firearms whether they be Parkers, Colt SAAs, AR-15s or single-shot .22s. Lose one type, and we're likely to lose them all.

What will you do when they eventually get around to confiscating your nice sporting guns?

Keep the faith...

Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I drive a car and I see no need for a car driver to own a motorcycle. Motorcycles can go really fast and are quite dangerous, especially to the children.

That mauser bolt action rifle should get shitcanned. Oh yeah,that G&H Springfield 03 goes too. The rolling blocks shouldn't be kept by hunters either. Don't even think of hunting with a peacemaker, the cavalry version is evil.

The source of prejudice *spit* is usually ignorance and fear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The camels nose is already under the tent flap.

The general public should have never been allowed to own an assault type Military Weapon.

Yeti do you like to chew tabacco while you play Rambo ?

Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.