May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, desullivan, Borderbill, DaveB, 2 invisible), 248 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,557
Posts546,303
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think one point here needs to be kept in mind. The ship was sailing in April which is about 6 Months removed from hunting season. What would be the practical purpose in bringing your shotguns along?
I should add unless you purchased a brand new one while touring Europe.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shopping spree in London.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Lots of walnuts and cheese. But that 2 barrels of mercury than American Express shipped is interesting. I wonder where that is today? Probably used in a gold mine sluse box in Alaska, CA or CO or some such place.

There was probably more than one use for mercury in the mining towns. Penicillin wasn't discovered until 1928. For sveral centuries before the advent of the age of antibiotics, mercury was used for medical tratments.........specifically for syphilis.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If syphilis didn't kill you the mercury would! I believe that more than a few on the Corp of Discovery were treated with Mercury.

In March 1805, Clark casually writes in his journal, “Generally healthy except venerials complains which is verry Commion.” Three men are mentioned by name in the journals of the expedition as being treated for syphilis, although many historians believe the majority of the men suffered from sexually transmitted diseases. Sexual contact did occur between the Corps of Discovery and some of the Native American women.

"The standard treatment of syphilis was the application of mercury. It was given either as a salve to the lesion or as a pill. It was stopped when excessive salivation and sore gums occurred, signs of mercury poisoning. It was then resumed until the lesion was cured. Some medical historians propose that Meriwether Lewis suffered from neurosyphilis, causing mental derangement leading to his suicide."

Sorry for the aside from the main point of the thread. Perhaps, some on board the ship had the mercury treatment administered on board.

Last edited by Cameron; 04/14/12 09:23 PM.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing down there I would want is the car that Mr Carter purchased. Do you know how cool it would be to restore it and say you had the only car shipped on Titanic. I would be happy with the engine, transmission, brass trim and frame. If the movie was accurate it should be located in the bow, it should be complete minus the body work.
I am sure most, if any guns on board, were in luggage and there would be no way to locate them on the shipping manifest. Passengers had a substantial luggage allowance in those days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a great thought, but based on what I saw of the ship, it's probably all but gone to corrosion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an example of what salt water can do to a fine gun in short order. This browing Diana grade got saturated with sea water during an Atlantic Ocean transit while stored in the hold of a ship with other household goods.
It belongs to an associate of mine who was given it by the owner after the insurance settlement.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, I would suspect that the shells refered to in the manifest were probably just that; the sea type that is, as I would expect them to have been recorded as cartridges having set sail from Britain.

Shotgunjones, interesting point you raised about guns and the Great War as it probably preserved a good many. Guns ordered and never collected or else guns sent to the makers for storeage and never collected. The death toll among junior officers was enormous. Lagopus.....

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Doug, I would suspect that the shells refered to in the manifest were probably just that; the sea type that is, as I would expect them to have been recorded as cartridges having set sail from Britain.

Thanks Michael, I would say you are correct. Thanks Pete and Douglas Tate on the Dragon's Blood...probably not used any more with the advent of 'modern' chemistry...?

Firearms were probably listed as something they were not for obvious reasons....like J.P. Sauer shipping potato's that eightbore mentioned...?....

The Renault Automobile that was made so famous by the movie is not shown on the manifest...so that leads one to believe the ships manifest does not list all the passenger merchandise that was shipped in the cargo holds, even insured or bulk items....?....

There were a number of rich Americans returning on the Titanic and I am sure many fine firearms went down that night, after all, everyone owned and shot guns back in those days......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Here's an example of what salt water can do to a fine gun in short order. This browing Diana grade got saturated with sea water during an Atlantic Ocean transit while stored in the hold of a ship with other household goods.
It belongs to an associate of mine who was given it by the owner after the insurance settlement.
Jim

I have heard rumors of the infamous "Salt wood" Brownings, but have not yet seen one- not being a real Browning fan (my 1911-A-1 Colts nonwithstanding) so thak you for sharing this with us. Gonna take a box car load of SOS pads and Formby's wood stripper to clean that puppy up---

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.