April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#276500 04/28/12 08:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Im looking for photos of an English Best gun that was rebarreled by the original maker and subsequently has a later serial number on the barrel than on the water table. For instance, a Purdey built in the late 1800s with a 10xxx serial number but rebarreled by Purdey in the early 1900s with a 20xxx serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think I have seen that numbering on English bests. But, Lefever often used the current number when rebarreling an older gun. We have seen , too, Lefevers with higher numbers on the receiver than on the barrels. Can't quite figure that one out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boss and Powell both gave a different number to a gun they rebarreled .I have not come across this with Purdey . Has the gun had a set of barrels from another gun or is it definitely rebarreled by Purdey?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
We have seen, too, Lefevers with higher numbers on the receiver than on the barrels. Can't quite figure that one out.

Someone had a new lock/stock built around an original set of barrels?

Or, since it's only a Lefever, maybe someone just cobbled a couple different guns together. ;-)

Hammerguy - ducking and running........

Sidelock
Sidelock

Send an email to Purdey and ask them what they have in the books for the #s.

That's the best way to find out.

I've seen rebbled Purdeys and I thought the serial #s matched. I could be wrong, though.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Has the gun had a set of barrels from another gun or is it definitely rebarreled by Purdey?

It's my understanding that it's almost impossible to take barrels from another gun and fit them to one for which they weren't originally made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 20ga hammergun that is a complete no name mid to low level gun except for the Woodward damascus barrels that I'm sure have been fitted to it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrels from some guns will be able to be fitted to guns of the same "era" .Over the years the makers do make some change in dimensions for one reason or another even though the gun may look the same. This applies more to guns built on a production line by the same company rather than smaller makers who had parts or complete guns made by others to their patern .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll be at Purdey in a week and can ask them what they do, or if they have had a common practice, but Purdey was just my example.

I've seen hundreds of rebarreled guns. I haven't check the numbers on all of 'em.

Guess I'm looking for first-hand knowledge to prove guns have numbers different from the barrels - when barrels have been replaced by the original gun maker.

Again, I'm talking English Best, which I define as the holy trinity of Boss, H&H, and Purdey - alphabetical - not the order I think they rank. ;-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am looking at a H&H and a few weeks ago I checked this issue with H&H and they told me that when they re-barrel a gun they put a matching serial number on the new barrel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.