May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, smlekid, KDGJ, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 563 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,460
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

JM:

read my remarks carefully. I fully support the Second Amendment - I hope thats clear from my writing. I am an anti-be-a-sheep kind of guy.

We Texans aint gelded yet.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, that was never in question to me.

JM #27701 02/24/07 02:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well then... oops. I am sorry to have misunderstood you.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Ozpa #27702 02/24/07 02:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re Dumbo's comments I'd say he an elitist that really should show respect for "black" gun owners. Whether they're sxs, hunting rifles, or "assault" guns they are all high powered pea shooters with lethal capability. It's inexcusable to critize one catagory of gun owner without actually drawing attention to oneself. What, he thinks he's vaccinated from the gun grabbers because he hunts with a bolt action?... the fool should keep his mouth shut 'cause he evidently doesn't have brain enough to drive it.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No big deal or apology needed.

That's the problem with reading written messages, it's hard at times to place them in the context with which the writer intended them.

Ozpa #27711 02/24/07 06:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
That's the problem with reading written messages, it's hard at times to place them in the context with which the writer intended them.

Were the Founders still alive they would find their scribblings misunderstood and coopted for ends they could not anticipate. Parse well, friends.

jack

rabbit #27726 02/24/07 09:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think if the Founding Fathers could come back today, some would be pleased, some would be confused, some would be indifferent and some would say "Lets do it again".

Sort of what we have today, isn't it?

Kind regards,

rabbit #27732 02/24/07 09:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any slippage will allow the eventual loss of everything. There is no room for comprimise on gun control or the lack there of.. This was Hitler's first step in control and domination. There is no return from the slippery slope.

After following along with this thread, and sometimes going back and re-reading what we have written, I think, in most cases, we are together.

I did not read a single post which advocated for a loss of 2nd Amendment rights. We struggled with our interpretations of the 2nd Amendment as is the case with many parts of the Constitution. It is the very ability of the document to continue to make itself applicable to changing times that is so remarkable. The Founding Fathers designed a government that will "long endure."

In my home state of Vermont, we have very libeal gun laws. There is never a day that I am not grateful for this and for our sporting tradition here. I do not fear losing 2nd Amendment rights as some of you do because they do not appear to be under attack in Vermont as much as they are in other states.

What I do fear is losing the space to pursue my sport. This is how my 2nd Amendment rights will be curtailed here in the Northeast. It is not by confiscation or by outlawing, but it will be by taking away those places where we can use firearms.

Yes, more homes are being built in Vermont all the time, and this in itself requires all of us to continue extreme vigilance with safe firearms handling. But the real problem facing hunters and users of firearms in Vermont is the closing of land by posting. Drive down any road in Vermont today and you will see yellow poster after yellow poster. Property with access from public roads is being sealed off at beyond an alarming rate. As a hunter, and someone who tries to be a sportsman, I know where a good deal of the blame for this lies, and it lies with me and my brethren.

I will give you a couple of examples, and I think you will quickly understand what I am trying to say. About a year ago, I believe it was in September, a man was shot while picking blackberries. The hunter thought he heard something in the berry bushes, and assuming it was a bear, he fired. He went to see what he had shot and discovered a man lying in the bushes very badyly wounded. The hunter left and never called for help. The next day, the hunter thought differently about what he had done, and told people about the incident. The man who had been picking berries was discovered later that day, dead.

Later that fall, a farmer decided he would like to watch a field on his farm in the afternoon, hoping maybe to see deer coming out in the latter part of the day, and maybe getting a chance at a buck. The farmer made the mistake of sitting in his own tractor while he watched the field. His tractor had an enclosed cab and this surely made the wait more comfortable, or at least it would seem so.

A group of young men came out of the woods at one end of the field and one of the young men decided to fire a shot at the tractor. The farmer was killed.

I think most of us are familiar with the tragedy that took place in Michigan, I believe between a group of hunters and a Vietnamese hunter. I appologize if I have the nationality of the (Vietnamese) hunter wrong. I think it was Humong, but I stand ready to be corrected. Anyway, this tragedy, and I am pretty sure that this time, "AR" type rifles were involved, if I remember correctly, continue to add to the general public's displeasure with hunting. I believe Larry Brown alluded to this in one of his replies.

We will probably survive attacks on the 2nd Amenment for some time, but what good will it do if we only have rifle and skeet ranges as places to pursue our sport. It is the closing of land that is the biggest threat we face.

This is why I so strongly urge all of us to be the best ambassadors we possibly can for our sports, and not to be content with our constitutional protection that we know enjoy.

Those of you with "AR" type weapons, I never wrote that these should be confiscated or outlawed. Many of you tried to frame this argument as one about "black plastic guns." I have seem plenty of Winchester and Remington bolt actions in the woods with black plastic stocks and rather modern looking barrels. I hope you noticed that no one wrote disparagingly about these guns so I think it is not just the black plastic that some of us object to.

Some of you tried to paint us as snobs, and elitists. I can assure you that I am a pretty humble person if you ever met me. Being a good Scot, I do own and enjoy a couple of "Harris" tweed jackets. They last forever and never go out of style. If you were to find me in the woods in the fall, you can usually recognize me because I wear red and black plaid, made here in Vermont at the Johnson Woolen Mills.

If you have had the patience to read along this far in my post, you have my thanks and appreciation. Someone, I believe, it was Mr. Jack Rabbit, wrote about how we need to "parse well" when we write on this board. Mr. Jack Rabbit, how right you are.

I hope I have offended none of you, at least that is my most sincere intention.

Enjoy our sport,

Best regards,

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
By the way, Larry, your take on the Northern Alliance is slightly skewed. The NA was virtually immobilized for years, making no progress whatsoever against the Taliban, until we dropped in some Special Forces spotters with GPS and direct connections to B-52s overhead. It was accurately targeted high-tech bombs that blew the Taliban out of the way; the Northern Alliance came in behind to pick up the pieces.

Jack, you need to get your facts straight. Recommended reading: "First In", by Gary Schroen. CIA teams were on the ground in Afghanistan weeks before SF teams arrived. They were already identifying targets, coordinating with the NA--which was preparing its upcoming offensive against the Taliban.

And the fact the NA had even survived--significantly outmanned and outgunned as they were--is what gave us a base of operations inside Afghanistan from which to launch the ground offensive that recaptured Kabul in a very short period of time. And you don't win wars strictly from the air. Were airpower alone capable of doing that, we would have won easily in Vietnam, would not have needed Schwarzkopf in Desert Storm, and would not have needed to invade Iraq to get rid of Saddam. And, for that matter, the Soviets wouldn't have been driven out of Afghanistan in the first place.

Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.