May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, bushveld, ClapperZapper, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 790 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,720
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear that, Grant. Darn nice old river biscuit of a $&$ not withstanding that one of the POs ground up the choke in the top barrel.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

No need to defend me, or "praise with faint damn", Jay, altho I'll admit you're a more patient exegete than some. Never complain; never explain (except maybe to men of good will AND reason.) I got in my strafing runs after that business with the Gnomon and I'm happy I did but mostly I don't care to get stuck in this tarbaby. You really should share the Humpty Dumpty catechism with our friends, Jay. Said a good bit to me about the uses of language but maybe I only heard what I wanted to hear?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I liked that bit about the "Incoherent rambling to English Translator," Keith. Incoherence is a tool like any other and you've a sharp eye to notice. I gotta sneak back into my room now; bout time for Nurse Ratched and my pills.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
Keith, jack does make one work a little to take all his meaning. See the homeland security stuff. I think this has to do with ferociously defending the 2nd, but not standing against threats to other freedoms protected by the Bill of Rights.

Jay

Jay, I did take the time to peel off the layers of incoherence that jack tells us he's used as a tool. And no, I didn't miss the Homeland Security stuff, or much else. But I completely disagree with his contention that it is just like any other tool. What utility is there in a tool which makes a job harder for some and impossible for many? Was the intended utility an attempt to make me disengage?

As for part two of your statement above, I think you ought to know that I've been straining to keep my conversation tied to only the Second Amendment and threats to gun rights. I thought I kind of said that in my post #276544 of 4/28/12 at 2:25 PM on pg. 4 of this thread. I began to stray into other areas of the political arena and supra-constitutional rights such as the "rights" of the self-disadvantaged poor or politically connected multi-national corporations which expect you and I and our kids to foot the bill for handouts to bail them out. I quickly realized I was straying too far off topic as this is a Firearms forum. You were part of the big brouhaha here a few months back when Jim started the Starbucks thread. I obviously still contend that suppression of RKBA will eventually affect Doubleguns and so is sufficiently on topic to be here. I've also noted the multitude of threads here since then that had less than nothing to do with doubleguns, yet flourished without protest. That is the only reason I didn't back up and delete much of that post. Still, I am trying to stay mostly within the lines in deference to those who disagree. So the fact that I may not debate eminent domain, or free speech, or quartering of troops here should not be construed to mean that I am not cognizant of other areas where the Bill of Rights is strained or turned on its' head.

Now, if the room that jack is sneaking back to in order for Nurse Ratched to give him his pills happens to be at a VA clinic, he is being smart to get them while he can. For it is only a matter of time before the Community Organizer in Chief diverts funding to some disadvantaged group more deserving than our Vets.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith:
What could I possibly add to your post above!!!!
grin

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 05/04/12 12:54 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Let's take this discussion in another direction. I think we can all learn something from Justice Scalia on this issue. Outreach and education. We need to be mindful that gun ownership is guaranteed in a document that can be changed by political process - the god-given right to drink was denied to Americans for a few years due to a consitutional amendment, after all.

As gun rights advocates, we should spend less time behaving like Charlton Heston and more time following Justice Scalia's lead. Most (roughly 65%) Americans don't own guns and many have never even handled one. If these non-owners have qualms about gun ownership, it is based on that lack of experience and the nonsense they see in Hollywood movies and video games. I would argue that popular entertainment today is the biggest threat to gun rights in the US - it is all black guns and dead bodies. (And if you want to talk about hypocrisy, how about those Hollywood producers making big money on Bruce Willis movies and publicly condemning gun violence and gun rights?) What was the last movie that you saw involving a Fox or Parker or Woodward taking upland game?

To answer your last question first, I had occasion to see a really sappy movie (IIRC, it was called "Morning Glory") within the last 6 months. This one was a typical chick flick with Harrison Ford as a cranky old TV newsman and Diane Keaton opposite him, with some young actress (playing a TV producer) trying to drag him back to work. She goes out and finds him walking up pheasants carrying a nice sidelock sxs, dressed appropriately (he'd fit in here), hunting over a Gordon in a realistic-looking cover (but for it being too warm and summery). And he actually does shoot safely on a flushed bird (that action takes place off-stage), and you get to see the dog work a bit, too. I think the stage decoration was meant to convey a lazy dilettante with too much money and time on his hands who needs to get back to work, yadda yadda.

I got lassoed into watching it b/c one of my Gordon Setter friends insisted I had to see the dog. Nice dog. After the dog was out of the picture, I dozed off.

But, as you make clear, that's the exception. The rule is black guns and carnage. That sells - no interpreters or subtitles needed.

As to being a Scalia rather than a Heston - that was my point earlier. You'll win more with honey than vinegar.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, Dave. You can Scalia-nize young people by taking them hunting, to the skeet field, to dog trials, a firearms auction, a sporting clays shoot, a hunter safety course or NRA day at a range or shooting club. Firearms familiarization can also be had courtesy of our military services. Loss of the draft is not necessarily something to cheer about in the larger view of our society. Statement on TV yesterday evening that ". . . our arms forces are broken. Every 18 minutes, there is an attempted suicide in the ranks." Wonder why after nearly two decades of the "stop loss" policy? I was never a big fan of weekend warriors who, in the VietNam era, went home after basic while the draftees got a few more training cycles and a free trip abroad, but the Iraqi and Afghan altercations have demanded more of our reserve forces than any dustup since the Korea War. Time for more of our young people to serve with em rather than just thank em. I personally favor universal military conscription. By providing our young with a common experience, military service would "homogenize" them before they hardened in the mold of believing that the fighting should be done by one class, group, race, or economic ranking and the thinking by another. A common experience (Yes, I know a common experience doesn't lead everyone to the same views!) gives people a chance to understand other people and often the proximity and consequent inclination to be civil and sympathetic even if they don't.

jack

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.