Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck, I'm in Jackson and have a few hammer guns (none for sale). Would be happy to help you on this.

My contact info is in my profile.

Mike

BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I mite take you up on that. Thanks

BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim, I mainly shoot sporting clays as there's not much bird hunting around here except for doves and thats only good the first weekend in my area.I have a 20ga. RBL that I like to use for doves.

I like to go old school every now and then and shoot something old or something build like the older guns. I could also use it at the bigger shoots for the SxS events.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you hunt over a pointer I can't see how cocking the hammers would be a problem at all. The first time I tried it I was sure I would forget a few times, but I never did. I actually enjoyed the nice crisp click...click before flushing a bird.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem arises when you start walking with a cocked hammer gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cocking the hammers while mounting the gun will become like easing off the safety while mounting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David
Cocking the hammers while mounting the gun will become like easing off the safety while mounting.

Cocking one hammer will, but most folks (including me)can't safely thumb'em both back while mounting the gun. If your thumb slips off a hammer part way back the gun goes boom! On surprise birds I cock the right hammer as I mount the gun to shoot. When I have a pointed covey I cock both hammers and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction as I flush the birds. That's my experience anyhow...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always interesting to me about hammer guns.I have some and I know that when hammer is mentioned,it is meant external hammers.Of course ,I have a few hammer guns that have hammers that are internal--M-21's,L.C,s,Foxes,P-guns etc.They all cock on the open and when shut are not on safe.Unless I put them on safe (non-automatic).I have a Siace external that cocks on open and is not safe unless I use the tang safety.I also have older externals that only cock by hand and there is no safe.With the M-21's, I hunt with gun open as it partially closes to keep the shells from falling out.There are few guns that I fully trust the safety.I had a Kimber bolt 22-250 discharge when I moved the safety to fire.So,with me, I treat every gun as able to fire and my method of safety is to always keep the muzzle pointed so that I am in control of where the projectile is going to go.BTY the Kimber was on target.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that I should add I open the action everytime I need to drop the hammers after not shooting. I had one instance where I held a hammer and pulled the wrong trigger, with the gun open it was simply a dryfire, not a negligent discharge.

As far as walking with the hammers back I can't see why moving in on a point with the barrels pointed skyward would be an issue. Could this be an instance of a safety feature (mechanical safety) creating sloppy behavior (poor muzzle control)?
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love hammer guns. But, my thumb did slip off a hammer once as I was cocking it when I was hunting in the rain, walking up on my dog on point. Of course, I had the gun at port arms with muzzle pointing skyward, but be aware of that going in. Since then however, I don't use hammer guns in the rain. I don't like to upland hunt in the rain period, but I do live in Washington...

There is also the safety issue of making sure to remember to let the hammer down after you cock it if no bird flushes.

Kirby Hoyt had a nice article in Shooting Sportsman a while back about quail hunting with hammer guns (he has quail running around all over his spread in Wenatchee). He cocks once on the rise and shoots, then drops the gun, cocks the second hammer and re-mounts. It only takes an extra second or two, but it is the safest method. Or,as someone on here once posted, "we're not at war with the birds."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.