March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#277794 05/10/12 01:12 PM
BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a got a craving for a hammer gun. Anyone here got one, shot, or even seen the Noblesse in person? Any opinions on these? What is the retail price? The website shows very little. In fact the only place I could find it was in the catalog that you can download.

Are there any other hammer guns that are in the $2000-3000 range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Kirby Hoyt.

N.R.A lifer
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second the Kirby Hoyt connection.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, the Fausti I think is in the 12k range. Depends on the hammergun you want, vintage or modern. If you go vintage, you have a whole bunch to consider, Kirby would be my choice also. The downside is you'll more than likely have to shoot 2 1/2" loads and even with a gun chambered for 2 3/4", low pressure loads are the way to go.

If you want a good vintage hammergun, do your homework and ask lots of questions, there is a learning curve to vintage guns, especially Brit guns.

If you want a modern gun, I'd suggest either a Bernadelli or Siace. CZ also offers a cheaper hammergun (not their coach gun) that might be a good starter, they run about $800 to $900.

Hammergun are fun, but once the bug bites you....your done!!!! I know!!!

Anyway, good luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
The downside is you'll more than likely have to shoot 2 1/2" loads and even with a gun chambered for 2 3/4", low pressure loads are the way to go.

I don't see that as a downside. I load or buy low pressure, 2 1/2 inch shells for all my shotguns whether modern or vintage. It might be a bit more expensive, but I find that I shoot better when the gun doesn't kick like a giraffe.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David
Originally Posted By: gjw
The downside is you'll more than likely have to shoot 2 1/2" loads and even with a gun chambered for 2 3/4", low pressure loads are the way to go.

I don't see that as a downside. I load or buy low pressure, 2 1/2 inch shells for all my shotguns whether modern or vintage. It might be a bit more expensive, but I find that I shoot better when the gun doesn't kick like a giraffe.

Hi, I know what you mean, bad wording on my part, I also shoot 2 1/2" in all my guns for upland birds, same as you, vintage or modern. I've never really felt a need for "Super Dupper" loads. But some folks seem to shy away from them or think they are not "Big" enough for hunting. If only they knew!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

You should be able to find a very nice hammer gun for under $3K. That puts you in the range for some American classics like Parkers and for some of the nicer modern European guns like the Bernardelli Italia or Italia Extra, or a Siace, or a Beretta/Mi Val. For half of your budget you could get a Bernardelli Brescia. You might even find a Brit hammer gun in good shape in your price range. The Bernardellis will happily shoot WallyWorld shells all day long. The Brit guns and the American classics should be fed lower pressure stuff.

BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. Dang, I didnt realize that Fausti made anything in the 12K range. I guess that takes care of that. I will look into the Bernardellis.

I would like to have a vintage hammer gun even more than a new one, but there is very few around here to look at, and buying one of these thru the internet would be very risky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BUCK2
I have a got a craving for a hammer gun. Anyone here got one, shot, or even seen the Noblesse in person? Any opinions on these? What is the retail price? The website shows very little. In fact the only place I could find it was in the catalog that you can download.

Are there any other hammer guns that are in the $2000-3000 range.

The $9000.00 (on sale at a show) Fausti I handled had mushy feeling locks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

B2,

Imagine you plan to hunt with your hammergun. If so, issue becomes whether you have a safety so you can carry your gun cocked while in the field. (All of the hammerless guns are cocked once you close the barrels.) Hammer guns with safeties are rare although more common among the modern guns.

The alternative is to choose your hammer gun so that you can sweep the uncocked hammers back with your thumb as the covey rises. Such a vintage gun is easier to find than is one with a safety, but you would need to check it out yourself. Some argue for keeping the action open and then closing it at a covey rise. Can't imagine walking around with the action open myself and, besides, some hammer guns will not open/close with the right hammer cocked!

Bottom line, buy a modern hammer gun that has a safety.
Regards, Tim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.