April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, Fudd, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
Boxlock

Mr. Chuck do you suppose I could borrow that jig,my daughter has her first date this weekend. I think I need to ask the boy a few questions. grin

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would think playing with a cigar cutter and your guns would be enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First date with my wife, a long, long time ago, when I picked her up I had to meet the parents. Her Dad just happened to be cleaning his guns when I arrived and we talked guns and hunting for about a half hour before she pried me away. He was surprised that a high school kid knew anything about guns, and she was pissed that I seemed to like him more than I liked her. No cigar cutter, though.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shortly after meeting my future father-in-law, he invited me to go with him to Little John's Auction to buy guns. My girlfriend (now wife) was about half pissed. She said I was supposed to be polite, and that didn't involve going off on the weekend with him. grin

That weekend, I saw my future father-in-law buy guns by just setting there and not doing anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a fantastic looking bending jig - simple and effective!

I had the stock on my Merkel 1620 bent by Griffin & Howe. In addition to returning the gun to me with a new crack in the stock, they also scorched the finish so that the wrist area is now much darker than the rest of the stock.

Since then, I have had many guns bent by Mike Orlen. He does a fantastic job, and the finish on the Orlen-bent guns looks to be completly unaffected by whatever heating process he uses.

Anyone know how G&H heats the wood for bending; anyone know what heating process Mike Orlen uses? Heated oil? Steam? Infra red? Heating tape? Hot air? Any others?

--shinbone

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike apparently uses lamps and oil.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16314697

I dunno about G&H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great examples of other bending jigs at the link. Thanks!

It looks like heat lamps and mineral oil soaked into a cotton wrap at the bend site are the way to go.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just my opinion, but the big knobs on my fixture are unnecessary. Frankly, no knobs are needed. I just pushed the stock by hand as much as I was comfortable with, then turned the jackscrew to hold in place, repeat after some heat dwell time.

Smaller (than my 2") knobs would give a better feel if you elect to push the stock over by turning knobs instead of pushing by hand. Maybe some small plastic ball/knobs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I heat mine quite a bit longer before bending. I like to let the stock heat all the way through before trying to bend. Usually wait from 30 to 45 minutes. It's probably from making damascus - with 6 to 9 layers of steel at start if only the outside layers are at welding temp and it's beat togeather the billet looks good but the inner layers aren't welded. You end up with a pile of sh**. So I like the inner wood also hot enough to bend so all the stress of bending is applied through out the wrist area. Good luck to all - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Chuck,

What a fantastic jig and corresponding result! Congratulations.

Here is a photo of a jig sent by Mr. Moe/Mike Orlen:

He uses canola oil; (more details in the Picturetrail posted above).

JC

Last edited by JayCee; 05/23/12 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.