May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ken Nelson, LGF, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,084
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe I should have started this thread in the Misfires area.
I started it with the expectation that we could all look at and enjoy an item(punt gun) from the past. Right or wrong it's part of shotgun history and I didn't intent to start an argument about it. Two guys walked into the Antiques Road Show with a punt gun when it was held here in Phoenix 3 years ago. I was actually able to help the appraisers who didn't know much of anything about them.
I have issues personally with going to a place like Argentina and shooting doves from dawn till dusk. However; I don't fault others for doing this because I am also a strong proponent of personal choice. If someone want's to shoot something all day long I'd prefer that take up trap or skeet.
I guess I'll be a bit more discriminating about what I post in this section in the future. frown
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, heck...the picture here is not all that grim and the responses are not that acrimonious, compared to some former flare-ups on assorted subjects.

To my perspective, there is the historical market hunting, which due to a variety of socio-economic changes and the efforts of the Conservation movement, eventually became obsolete. Indeed, the greater slaughter of ducks was made easy by the advent of the repeater and then the semi-auto shotgun. The poachers and wholesale killing of that era, right thru WW2, are well recorded - many times in their own autobiographies.

Historically, the many, many accounts of Sporting waterfowling thru the centuries and geographies has been very interesting reading. And part of it was about puntguns, their owners and the context of the use; the same as any other firearm used on game, edible or non-. There were some absolutely fascinating historical sporting [mostly not commercial] figures who worked as hard as any modern professional athlete,day after day in the worst conditions, by our standards.

The actual timing of the waves and firing of the gun, as best I can gather, was in some ways it the least of the efforts. Considering the very low freeboard of the punt, the position from which one used the hand paddles, the icy and/or rough water, the inadequate clothing [by modern standards], and the general hedging about of difficulties -- it was not an easy way to supplement a waterman's living nor was it a sport for wusses.

True enough, there were kills -- sometimes - of a hundred fowl. We are rightly repelled by that idea today. Those days are long gone, as are sadly most of the real Baymen of the Chesapeake and Coastal Water folks of Britain. Tt's true, they have descendants, and cultural memories and tales and some still build wooden boats on the Chesapeake. But those big guns here are long time gone into museums and the modern limits straightly over-watched.

As well, there are the English 19th Century sportsman's diaries that take you out in a cockleshell for your shot of the day, or as was much more likely - your daily paddle and stalk to try and get the rare combination of circumstances that will allow a good shot. These circumstances, as were mentioned in above posts, were likely to bag not more than ten or dozen birds. Yes, there were greater kills. But they were rare enough, especially among the sporting set, that they received considerable billing by the doer.

As always, when it comes to hunting and guns, it is not so much the MEANS - whether it's the personal self-imposition of handmade stick-bow and flint arrow archery. or muzzleloading flintlock shotgun, or open sight stalking to a sure distance with a cartridge gun, or 'name the handicap'.

The modern context of the punt gun, to me, is it's careful following of the advantages and limitations of the mechanism within the legalities of the game laws in order to hunt in a satisfying and archaic method, that damn few people would willingly try more than once.

I say this as a fall & winter canoe and kayak drift hunter on rivers - with binoculars & a shotgun mellowed by rocks, mud, sandy grit, limestone ledges, and the stray Chessie dog paw. Hunting from a blind bores me, no insult to the wonderful perfectionists who do so. Other forms of fowling? Fine by me, as long you don't endanger anyone, violate the limits and laws, or otherwise cast a bad public light upon gun ownership and hunting.

Balloon Videos -- thanks for the links. Apparently there are more than one, and were interesting to watch. The one which I have still not found is twenty of so minutes, but the balloon effect is much the same. It's as tho' a massive instant lawnmower went thru the center section. Given the complexities and difficulties of just setting up and shooting such inflated game, I'm pretty sure balloons will never be an endangered game in the future. Tho', I am relatively sure that sport and hunting shooters are most definitely becoming an endangered species, all together.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent John, just excellent.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Shooting rafting waterfowl by the hundreds

Yessireeeee that's a sport(?) that I'd certainly want to romanticize. Maybe someone could come up w/ a marathon hog butchering video. I mean, if you want to talk about doing manly things w/ manly men WOW that'd be one to see!!

WTF are you people thinking anyway??

have a day

Dr.WtS

Excellent Dr.Wonko, just excellent.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Market Hunter is right, Excellent post John M. from the western end of Lake Erie.

Co-Writer of the new book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns,
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe did you actually read the factual accounts of modern punt gunning that were given by people with some real knowledge of the sport or are you just going with moronic knee jerk reaction? Oh wait, you are a moron, it must be the latter.

D

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fat boy....it wasn't a sport.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HomoJoe,

It most certainly is a sport, it's alive and well on a very limited basis in the UK today. You obviously are too slow to actually read what anybody had to say, I rest my case.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because you look like a fag in drag don't call me one....you fat pervert.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe your insults don't even phase me but mine obviously really get under your skin which is always a pleasure. I chuckle every time you make the weak effort, thanks for caring enough to keep me at it.

D

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.