April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (sharptailmontana, GETTEMANS), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,259
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any experiences with having a Jones underlever tightened? I'm speaking of the bolting itself. Looks pretty complicated to me, achieving good bearing surfaces on both bolts.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its tricky! A good welder and lots of patience required. The last one I did just required attention to the lever. It was welded, anealed, smoked in, then re-hardened. Kind of a pain fitting those rotary surfaces. Ken Eversol might be just the ticket with his spray welding technique.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

How loose is it ? Very or just a bit slack . That is the first thing to determine . Is the gun well on face and reasonably tight in the body? Dose the lever have any play on its spidle when the retaining pin is removed ?Are the barrels hard on the flats when the lever is closed ?
Sorry about all the questions but without this it is difficult to suggest the simplest way to remedy your problem . I don't think any one who built guns of this period thought that over a century later that anyone would still be using them so the idea of correcting for wear never crossed their minds . The Jones lever is one of the more difficult systems to repair and can be an absolute pain ,particularly if they are badly worn . Not the easiest of jobs at any time .

Sidelock
Sidelock

have never seen one loose...they are very strong and durable.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed , are you lucky ! Seen far to many ,worst part was I had to put them right.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually I don't have one with a problem. I am attracted to the Jones underlever, and have two and both of are bank vault tight. I just wanted to know what the potential pitfalls are going ahead.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing like borrowing trouble from the future...

gunman makes good points. I've even seen one with the spindle snapped in half. From the stress of overloaded US cartridges combined with unfortunate case hardening characteristics.

Best advice: Don't shoot Wally World cartridges in these -- or any classic -- gun.

That way, you won't have to worry about a Jones failure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, nothing worse than a failure of the "Jones."

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Jones problem is the underlever on my Alex Henry .450 BPE. It's an absolute bear to get it closed. Also, unl;ike the one on my Mullin, there is no quiet "click" to indicate closure.

Could this be a sign that it was repaired in a "shade-tree gunsmith" kind of way at some time?

It really takes a lot of force, both to open and close. But closing it is definitely the more strenuous. It's tough to just get it under the flats, and then an extra measure of force to push it so that it is centered.

I've always wondered if something is amiss somewhere, just waiting to snap and turn into a major headache.

Any thoughts?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

yes.....look at the hook first. Any sign of welding? Dovetailing? Was a new hinge pin fit? Look at the rotary lock up on the barrels. Any sign of any work done there? The lever is another possible source of tinkering. An Alexander Henry should be smooth to operate.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.