May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chuckster, 1 invisible), 169 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,090
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
I just sent two big running dogs to the Canadian prairies for summer school with an outstanding dog handler. I am hoping I have a couple of cracker jack bird dogs when they get home this fall. Hopefully they will see lots of birds this summer!

Buzz,
I've been working with mine to get her to run smaller. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello All:

I can sure tell you the hunters of Montana have been looking for a strong pheasant hatch for a couple years now, and we may need to keep calling it "Next Year country". I was in the Mission Valley of western Montana yesterday looking at pheasant habitat. Much of the habitat looks very good, but unfortunately we've also had five inches of rain in the last four days atop our peak date for pheasant hatch. We probably lost most of what had already pipped. At least most the high temps have been above 60 F. It is raining again today.... If I hear better reports from other parts of the state, I'll try to get it posted here.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The pheasant epi-center for pheasants in Montana are the counties of Richland, Roosevelt and Sheridan. All three have endured cold rains and high winds the last week.

This week is the peak of the hatch, historically and so far no freezing rains like last year.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does Montana, South and North Dakota stock birds in order to keep their numbers up?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know one of my neighbors used to raise pheasant chicks and turn them loose. He quit that when some smart a$$es followed him to the release points and had a slaughter. I don't blame him it's kind of dis-heartening after taking care of them all summer.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

South Dakota does via a provision as part of the qualification to hold a Commercial Shooting Preserve permit whicj requires those operators to replenish birds based on a formula of birds harvested during their entire season of September through February. ND and MT does not stock pheasants.

bc
RCC #281434 06/14/12 11:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RCC
South Dakota does via a provision as part of the qualification to hold a Commercial Shooting Preserve permit whicj requires those operators to replenish birds based on a formula of birds harvested during their entire season of September through February. ND and MT does not stock pheasants.

Rcc do ya'll have Huns and Sharptails in South Dakota? If so are the Preserves required to release them too?

Thanks,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are Huns and Sharp-tails in SD. I do not know the answer to your question. However, I have never heard of the SD Game and Fish releasing any, nor have I heard of them requiring a commercial operator to do so.

bc
RCC #281468 06/15/12 12:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking forward to the grouse season in Michigan's U.P. I have my lodging set up for the month of October and early November and will probably go early just to scout out some new cover. I have come into an old-timers triple secret maps for several areas I frequent and I made it to several of those spots last season. They were productive and the anticipation is killing me.

I sent off my young setter to boot camp. He is the first dog I have ever needed to send to a pro but he is too headstrong for my training methods. He has a good skill set so I am anxious to see how educable he is. My other two pups are getting old so the youngster will see plenty of work his second season. Buzz, the trainer swears he is working at 30 to 35 yards if you can believe that.

I already took my 16 to the gunsmith and he gave it his blessings after dripping a few drops of holy water on the stock. It beaded nicely and the fortune teller I took along gazed into the small pool on the stock and sang the praises of the forthcoming season.

So we are all in for a good season and if it should not measure up to the fortune tellers vision we need to remember that a bad day in the field beats the hell out of the best day in the office. Of course for us retired folks they are all good days albeit some are better than others.

May the Grouse gods be with you, for if you can hit a grouse on the wing you can slay all comers. For what it is worth the fellow who started this thread can hit more than his share of grouse on the wing. He also has some really nice dogs. Now, I only hunted over 5 or 6 of his 14 but those were nice pups.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, educate an old Southern boy on grouse shooting. What is a good average, hits to misses?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.