May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SXS 40, HalfaDouble, 2 invisible), 225 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,565
Posts546,389
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like the members opionion of the intrinsic value of a shotgun being the first of a vintage graded gun line. I own the first Serialized and documented Pigeon gun LC Smith built, and would appreciate your thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Intrinsic value? Hey, it is a shotgun. Collector value? Mmmm, now that might well be an entirely different proposition. There are L. C. collectors, so probably at least one would pay more than normal collector value for it. I think it is collector value you are interested in.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ROCKETMAN, you have played with these SXS for a lot longer than I have, so OK Collector value it is. The gun does not have any documented history for example a famous shooter that owned it. Yet it is the 1st of its kind. Some buyers might buy it because they like LC Smiths and collect them. Others buy guns not because they collect them, but buy them for an investment. I was pretty sure there are collectors of LC Smiths that pay more than normal. I just thought there might be some thoughts on value added for such guns. Seems like there are lots of formulas out there for figuring gun values. One only needs to go to the Blue book to see the notations for added value. ( not that these are necessarily accurate.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say nothing is intrinsic in the valuation of a gun like this.

The gun will have a value in the current (interested) market based on what it is in terms of original quality and current condition. I mention interested market because an L.C Smith would only be interesting to L.C Smith enthusiasts. For example, I would not pay $200 for it as I am not the slightest bit interested in them.

Those interested in L.C Smiths will see the gun and will attach a vale to it as an object. You then throw in the novelty value (in this case the first number of a run) and see how many people in the interest group care enough about this to pay for it, then, if so, how much more than the other guys.

For example, if you have the first Purdey made in the 20th Century, it is a numerical coincidence that nobody is likely to care about enough to pay any extra for. Maybe L.C Smith collectors do care - no telling 'til you try them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that it is the first Pigeon Grade Smith produced means nothing if the condition is poor. The vast majority of us L.C. Smith collectors value a gun the same as any other collector would.

Everything is first based on the original condition. If the gun in question had some historical provenance it could add to the value previously determined.

Otherwise, it's just another Pigeon Grade Smith. The only way you could possibly fetch a few dollars more is if you find the right collector at the right time who "has" to have it to fill a hole in his collection.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the serial number?

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would the last gun be worth more than the first ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should be 37209.
Pigeon gun, and Harvey McMurchy, infro in the new NON-improved google format
https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1rtqfXbMHv08c0iojRUFUV5kR7jIc-7jdinPZEmI9WSc

Last edited by Drew Hause; 06/17/12 09:41 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all of the feedback. The S/N is 37209. I have been debating about selling, but based on what I am hearing I will hold on to it for now. The condition is not the best so I think I will just fix it up and shoot it.
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might find someone who attaches extra value just because it was the first but condition will be much more important than the fact it was first. If it was pristine condition and you could add in the fact it was the very first of its kind you might slightly increase its value. But as a well worn example that fact alone will not make it top dollar.

People collect all kinds of "extra value" items. Some like consecutive serial numbers. Others like guns with serial numbers which end with 000. Or you can collect the same serial numbers in different guns. For the dyslexic you can collect guns with palindrome numbers, serial numbers which are the same frontwards or backwards. With such small markets demand may be slight to all the rest of us. A guns value is what you can get for it and it takes only one buyer to make the seller happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.