May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Borderbill, Guy Ave, 1 invisible), 640 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,047
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do NOT like the side safety, especially with my Krieghoff drilling when shooting doves, Seems like I select the rifle barrel
instead of the safety

Of course, the rifle barrel is NOT loaded for dove hunting.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

You just have to have more practice with your drilling. It will then become second nature. I love drillings, inspite of the greener safety, not because of them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just shot my old Krieghoff drilling I sold to a friend in a field this afternoon. It is a little bit older than Mike's (I am guessing!), proofed in 1919, and features a Greener style safety. I agree there is a slight additional wrist movement with the side safety. It didn't matter shooting clays but I could envision additional effort in the grouse woods, particularly the mountainous areas I hunt.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike
Yes, but toooooo many gun clamoring for my attention and only ONE with the side safety.
The Hammer guns are easier, no safety on mine.
Some hammer guns do have safety's??
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
MikeSome hammer guns do have safety's??
Mike

Siache (sp?)...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeettx,
Yes, and some are self cocking, as well; so need safety.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had combination gun with this feature. You load the gun take safety off and keep fingers out of the trigger guard. If one falls hopefully intercepting safety mechaism works and one does not shoot body part off, kill or worse yet wound someone else. I didn't have any problems with that setup, but tang safety is best on both rifles and shotguns.
If you are looking for glass half full nice Greener with side safety usually costs significantly less than something with tang safety. If you like something from famous "pot and pan maker" of Birmingham I suggest finding one with tang safety. They do exist. It could be worse you could end up with one of them modern German wonders with sliding cocker next or near top lever. By sliding the thingy you're basically cocking the system to fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Presumably everyone posting knows how safeties work, that they only block the trigger and do not affect the cocked status of the action. So disengaging the safety before starting to mount is not a major safety no no. It might be safer than fumbling during mounting and that is important in connection to a side or other awkward mounted safety button.

It is possible to make a gun go off with the safety engaged.

Even famous expert shots confuse the function of the safety. Corbett wrote "i never carried a cocked gun" when he meant he never carried it with the safety off. His hammerless double rifle was inevitably cocked if it was opened, loaded and then closed.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 07/09/17 12:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
Presumably everyone posting knows how safeties work, that they only block the trigger and do not affect the cocked status of the action. So disengaging the safety before starting to mount is not a major safety no no. It might be safer than fumbling during mounting and that is important in connection to a side or other awkward mounted safety button.

It is possible to make a gun go off with the safety engaged.

Even famous expert shots confuse the function of the safety. Corbett wrote "i never carried a cocked gun" when he meant he never carried it with the safety off. His hammerless double rifle was inevitably cocked if it was opened, loaded and then closed.

Yes. Thankfully when hunting about the worst thing likely to happen is the hunt will be over because all the game will run away hearing the shot going off.
Sadly of three shotguns I own only one has nicely shaped tang safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"All" safeties are designed for giving some protection in the event of some Catastrophic occurrence, not for ordinary handling. As a general rule only a flintlock had a "Half Cock" notch. This was necessary in order for the hammer to be drawn back enough to allow the frizzen/battery to be closed. Percussion guns were normally equipped with a Safety Notch, plus the full cock. A "Few" early percussion gus I believe did have carry over half cock notches but they are in the minority. This arrangement kept the hammers from riding on the caps, a very dangerous condition, but yet kept them covered without enough of a gap they were likely to become dislodged. non-rebounding breech loading hammer guns followed basically the same practise. These locks used a rather thin sear nose which fit into a notch in the tumbler which prevented the trigger being pulled while in the safety position. This sear nose & tumbler notch were for the most part quite fragile & easily broken, resulting in a dangerous condition.
With a rebounding lock the hammer backed up enough after firing to allow the sear to fall into the safety notch. With this arrangement there was no need for the Notch, so the sear nose was usually thicker & the tumbler notch deeper & more sturdy, not apt to be broken. A rebounding lock hammer gun is Inheritably safer than a non-rebounder, & yes I have over the years successfully used both.

I bought my first hammerless double in 1954 & have not been without one since. This was a pre WWI J Stevens Arms & Tool Co g-12 ga. Although for a couple of seasons around 1957/58 I used an 870 pump as my primary gun I did not totally abandon the old Stevens Other than those two seasons a SxS double has been my Main using gun.

Over these intervening 63 years I have never owned a double with anything other than the normal trigger blocking safety. No intercepting sears or other supplemental safety device. Over all those years I have had "One" accidental discharge. This was rather early on with the old J Stevens.I was just starting on a hunt & making my initial loading. The hammers had been down in the fired position. I opened the gun, inserted two shells, closed it & it fired. The only conclusion I could come to was that I had not fully open the gun & the hammers did not cock. I must have then closed the gun rapidly enough the hammers came down with enough force to fire, or else they had just started to engage the sears but were not fully caught & the jar of closing released the sears. I put that old gun through some pretty rigorous "Testing" by slamming & banging around on it as far as I dared just short of actual damage to it. I could never get it to drop the hammers again.

In spite of that one experience I still detest those guns on which one must hold the barrels open to load. I did learn on that day to always Open the gun positively to insure both hammers are cocked. I have little to No qualms about walking through the woods & fields with a loaded & cocked gun with the safety engaged. So far one has not let me down.

"IF" I could be absolutely certain nothing unexpectedly & out of the ordinary would occur I would have no qualms about walking around with a gun loaded, hammers cocked & No Safety device, "BUT" one does need to prepare for the unexpected.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.