May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm putting a plug in for that other defence lawyer who saved a family friend from execution. Clarence Darrow set up the defence for George Harsh, as he did for Leopold and Loeb several years earlier. George served 12 years on a Georgia chain gang, pardoned for a couple heroic acts, turned down offers from Mafia, joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and served with distinction during operations and notably as the security chief in Stalag Luft III for The Great Escape.

His autobiography "Lonesome Road" (Norton) Library Congress No. 69-14699 typically of George doesn't tell how he saved more than 100 Georgia black prisoners chained together in their cellblock during a fire. George wasn't doing well in an American veterans hospital after the war so my father and Wally Floody, RCAF Spitfire pilot and the tunnelling chief engineer, brought him back to Canada where he died in Sunnybrook Veterans Hospital in Toronto, January 24, 1980.

George is an unsung American hero. His book is a masterpiece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown

Risk is our abiding companion. Nothing is safe and nothing is certain. Canada has sacrificed mightily to empire. British and Canadian casualties in the single battle at Passchendaele in 1917 were greater than all US losses in both world wars. Liberal is not a despised word in Canada. A conservative government presides. A strong country's only fear, as FDR said, is fear itself.

OT - but the historian in me couldn't let the bolded comment go. No question Canada suffered terribly at 3rd Ypres, and pproportionately very highly in the world wars. That said, the statement is untrue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Ken, I'll check source which I think was recent New York Review for Passschendaele and I have the official WW1 histories. A glance at your source indicates Canadian (65,000) combined with British totalled 950,000 deaths compared to US 116,000.

Actually, the US lost far more men in the Battle of the Bulge, 12/1944 - 100,000 casualties (19,000 killed) - than the Canadians lost at Passchendaele - 16,000 dead and wounded combined. But there is no point in playing a numbers game - as John Donne said, "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind."

The real tragedy at Passchendaele was the loss of so many good men for so little gain, so little reason.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on, jack. That's the figure I've found for Passchendaele so far, 16,000, and primed by our General Currie, Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden, in London for meetings at the Imperial War Cabinet, told Prime Minister Lloyd George that "if there is ever a repetition of Passenchendaele, not a Canadian soldier will leave the shores of Canada so long as the Canadian people entrust the Government of my country to my hands." For all the good it did. We had already lost 25,000 fighting barely seven weeks on the Somme. It was only part of the butcher's bill.

(A friend has a presentation 12ga Parker to Sir Robert Borden, of Nova Scotia.)

Last edited by King Brown; 02/26/07 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of Mr. Lawson's quotes could be used both in defense of second amendment rights and as a criticism of present day perceived deprivation of rights by our current administration. Obviously, the Ramsey Clark quote sounds good to some of us, but I would not be inclined to use more than the principle apparently referred to in the quote, because of its dubious source. If ever there were a series of quotes leaving doubt as to the intent of the user of the quotes, this was it. I think some of the posters here are trying to sound like "gun people" while using this thread to indicate that some of us, the current administration included, are a little too protective of both our rights and safety, while sacrificing some of the rights of those who are our enemies. We started this discussion by debating whether someone who criticizes his sponsors and employers should be secure in his contracts and his job. Where are we now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

For Mr. Zumbo, my quick answer is that when you accept money from mission-oriented agencies---Outdoor Life, whose mission to make a profit and inform---you usually wind up accepting their mission. If you don't, you're a dead duck unless you're working for another mission-oriented agency, government, protected by whistle-blower laws. He wasn't.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
As Attorney General under Lyndon Johnson, Ramsey Clark...oversaw the first federal gun-control law to be enacted in over thirty years - the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Not to mention that the Gun Control Act of 1968 is a near verbatim copy of the Nazi Weapons Law 1938. Sen. Thomas Dodd (D-CT) who wrote the Gun Control Act 1968 was part of the legal team that prosecuted the Nazis at Nuremburg(sp). Dodd's duties were to review the Nazi laws. In the transcripts of a Senate sub-committee hearing on the Gun Control Act of 1968, there is a letter from Lewis C. Coffin, who was a law librarian at the Library of Congress, returning a translated copy of the Nazi Weapon Law of 1938 and the original document supplied by Dodd to his office.

Last edited by JM; 02/26/07 05:20 PM.
JM #28178 02/26/07 05:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

And here I thought that my post would be immediately followed by a couple of posts attempting to blow me and my comments out of the water. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would anyone do that, eightbore? On the evidence here, everyone loves you.

Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.