May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (buckstix, MattH, susjwp), 259 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,092
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
What about boxlocks by Westley Richards and W.W. Greener?

Did those makers include intercepting safety sears on their boxlock designs?

OWD

Yes, both often used intercepting safety devices of various type - for example, Greener had one of his own patent and WR had a trigger block which stopped the second trigger being fired by recoil when the first shot was fired (useful in very powerful double rifles)

Chas. Lancaster Body Action or "0-grade" were also built with intercepting sears or "block" safety. Unless one has been inside of one or shown the mechanics, you'd never know the system was there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just put in my order with Amazon Senor Hadoke smile best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, thats a Beesley body action spring opener with very different sprigs to an A&D gun. One of many variations which look like an A&D externally but operate quite differently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The later Webley & Scott guns were graded--speaking of the 700 series here--but not marked on the guns. But those clever Brits wanted to confuse us poor Yanks, because the ranking, if you want to call them good/better/best, were: 700, good; 702, better; 701, best. Whether a 701 is truly a "best boxlock" can certainly be debated, but by its finish, quality of wood, engraving, etc, it was clearly the best of that particular series of guns. And so priced.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grading systems are confusing and actually not very helpful when comparing one with another.

For example - anyone now considering a Churchill 'Utility' would be hard pressed to know where it fits in the range as compared to a 'Field' or 'Regal'. Churchill used a grading system with names but the names and grades sometimes changed or swapped places over the years.

Cogswell and Harrison also used a name system - 'Blagdon' and 'Sandhurst' etc.

Greener model designation indicated grade but also mechanical differences. A DH35 was and A&D 35 guinea gun, an FH35 was a Facile Princeps with Baker type forend ejectors for the same money.

Gallyon ran D1 - D8 model boxlocks of inclining quality.

Lots of trade makers ran model designations in scales of quality but these were never indicated in the same way by the firm which sold them.

Rigby sold boxlocks, not indicated by model designation but listed in the work books as 'C' or 'D' quality when ordered from B&P or W&S etc.

W&C Scott 1980s 'Chatsworth' 'Bowood' and 'Kinmount' models were quality variations, but a Chatsworth was nowhere close to the quality of a 1900 Bonehill of highest finish.

Holland & Holland 'Cavalier' models were touted as best London boxlocks but they don't compare to a lot of the guns Wilkes made much more low-key.

All just examples. Best boxlocks do appear all the time and were made in good quantities but here is no simple model designation or list of features to use and a short hand key to discover the absolutes as to what is what.

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a long list of "must have" attributes won't catch some of the best guns, and suggest that the fit, finish and inherent quality of handwork is a key aspect.

In a boxlock of Anson and Deeley type, I find it hard to knock on this basic action for lack of safety sears, for example. I do think there are lots of modifications to this basic action type that can take this basic design to "best" status, but know also that this is quite subjective.

For example, this 16 might not be "best" to some, but it is to me:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Intercepting sears may be sign of "quality but some were just a pain in the arse .Bonhill had there is in a box that screwed to the back of the action ,most have been removed and thrown away . Webley and Scott guns ,no matter whose name they bore fitted them to some. Be aware that as the actions were all machined the same some may have pins behind the fences that may make you think they had interceptors fitted ,but they never were . The pins are only to fill the holes, rather than fit plugs .I also other guns that have had intercepters removed for one reason or another .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
No American classic is a best. Period.
Best,
Ted

And a side plated boxlock Optimus or Thousand Dollar grade is chopped liver? I call Shenanigans.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at Dig's list of things that denote higher grade guns, and tell us which were applied to either gun. I can't see where the Webley and Scott 700 series guns Larry brought up fit in the picture, either-I've seen a few that were pretty rough.
What the great majority of folk in the US don't understand is that the term "Best" is as much a historical term that applies to English SXS guns as it is a descriptive term. Most of the refinements that developed in double guns happened there, and whether we North Americans like it or not, they get the credit for it.
A "Best Gun", is a British thing. Sorry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, in that context, I see the point of your explanation. I was looking at it from a descriptive standpoint rather than a historical one. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.