May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Parabola, 1 invisible), 905 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,401
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#282321 06/23/12 09:03 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A very nice, un-messed about round-bar Purdey 20-bore self-opener was in Holt's sale this week. Beautiful. Click the link if you want to see it:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150892916413093.413343.595918092&type=1

However, it reminded me of some inconvenient facts about guns and the unrealistic demands of many buyers in today's market.

I am asked all the time for small bore Purdeys from the 'Golden Era' of the 1930s and this one is a perfect example. Typical of the era, though the round bar is quite rare. Beautifully preserved, cased with accessories, lots of original finish, in fact it would be hard to ask for a better kept example (bar a bit of a tatty pad but that is nothing to lose sleep about).

So, why did I not buy it for one of my clients?

Well, ask yourselves, how do you want your 1930s Purdey 20-bore to be? You want it all original of course. OK, we have it. Want to buy it?

You want to be able to shoot it - so you want 15" LOP and it must be all wood as you don't like extensions. Well, surprise, this was made for a lady and the stock is very short (under 14").

You want 29" or 30" barrels. Well, guess what, in the 1930s hardly anybody wanted 29" or 30" barrels, especially small ladies shooting 20-bores. So, it has 26" barrels, which were then in vogue.

This shows clearly the imbalance between what people consistently ask for - and what actually exists. It is a bit like asking for an original Brough Superior but specifying it must have original metallic paint and 12-volt electrics.

Now, if we were to re-stock and re-barrel the gun to current requirements, it would give you everything you want but the cry "not original" would go up!

See how we make life difficult for ourselves? I guess it is all part of the fun.

Last edited by Small Bore; 06/23/12 09:10 AM.
Black and Tan
Unregistered
Black and Tan
Unregistered

Dig,

What did it go for?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sold for 16,000. Plus commission.

BTW, I was pleased to see a 20-bore Purdey O/U sell for 45,000 plus commission - I have one for sale at 44,000 out the door, which seems like a bargain.

Please do not look at it though, as some will be upset I mentioned commercial merchandise of my own!

How are you Rand? PM me sometime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
A very nice, un-messed about round-bar Purdey 20-bore self-opener was in Holt's sale this week. Beautiful. Click the link if you want to see it:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150892916413093.413343.595918092&type=1

However, it reminded me of some inconvenient facts about guns and the unrealistic demands of many buyers in today's market.

I am asked all the time for small bore Purdeys from the 'Golden Era' of the 1930s and this one is a perfect example. Typical of the era, though the round bar is quite rare. Beautifully preserved, cased with accessories, lots of original finish, in fact it would be hard to ask for a better kept example (bar a bit of a tatty pad but that is nothing to lose sleep about).

So, why did I not buy it for one of my clients?

Well, ask yourselves, how do you want your 1930s Purdey 20-bore to be? You want it all original of course. OK, we have it. Want to buy it?

You want to be able to shoot it - so you want 15" LOP and it must be all wood as you don't like extensions. Well, surprise, this was made for a lady and the stock is very short (under 14").

You want 29" or 30" barrels. Well, guess what, in the 1930s hardly anybody wanted 29" or 30" barrels, especially small ladies shooting 20-bores. So, it has 26" barrels, which were then in vogue.

This shows clearly the imbalance between what people consistently ask for - and what actually exists. It is a bit like asking for an original Brough Superior but specifying it must have original metallic paint and 12-volt electrics.

Now, if we were to re-stock and re-barrel the gun to current requirements, it would give you everything you want but the cry "not original" would go up!

See how we make life difficult for ourselves? I guess it is all part of the fun.

Love your Limey Lucas ignition and electrical systems, about as dependable as a rubber crutch in a hailstorm. Tatty pad- what the heck does that mean- a Hippie apartment in Greenwich Village NYC with a old tapestry carpet on the wall. Did finally find out two things about your warm and frothy Limey beers- (1) Reason they are not served cold-- 38 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for a draft (or draught in Limey-speak) came from Thomas Harris' great novella about Hannibal lecter- fiction, yes- but the man knows his weaponry and police data- he has the post WW2 Eastern front dirtbags who killed Mischa in 1944 in the Ukraine now in Paris and smuggling and white slavery their game- The number one bad guy tells his henchmen he only wants American appliances, not British--page 249-- "Milko, do you know why the English drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators!" (2) Up until the other day when I got my Leinie newsletter, I had mistakenly thought the Limeys invented the "Summer Shandy" lemonade and Pilser combination- Not too shabby either for a summertime and the livin' is easy drink- Not so--Bavaian Inn- Jacob Kugler 1922-- Jawohl!! WTF difference does it make on a 75 year old Purdey 20 bore the barrel length or the tatting on the pad- people who buy Purdey's - with the exception of the late Rudy Etchen perhaps- buy them for status, same as BMW and Rolex--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A British shandy is made with 'bitter' rather than lager (pilsner). Bitter and mild are drunk cellar cool. It releases the flavour. Fun post RWTF smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my deep pocketed friends has been looking for a 20 bore high grade LeFever with 30" barrels for 20 years. I have pointed out to him that 20 bore high grades are very rare, perhaps fifty to a hundred total ever made. And of that number I doubt not more than one or at most a couple were made with those long barrels. That small number is certain to be closely held and sold privately never coming onto the open market. Still he waits and ask if I have seen one. I suspect he in more interested in the hunt than in the ownership. Kind of an idle dream with him. Those who do not take into account what is out there will never understand what a good deal is and will keep looking for that perfect gun forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I'm not mistaken, the owner of Champlain firearms has a Purdey 20 gauge that was built with 22" barrels. It might be a wonderful ruffed grouse gun, but, I wouldn't buy it for the same reason George shouldn't have bought it-it would be almost impossible to sell.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an interesting Purdey self opening 20 bore. 236XX, made in 1927. 28" barrels, sideclips, Purdey hidden underbite, factory 2-3/4" chambers, 14-1/2 x 1-3/8 x 2-1/4, 3/4" leather covered pad, 5-3/4 pounds, POW grip. The barrels have been correctly reblacked, the stock finish is original, lots of factory case color. Was custom made for an American and shipped to Abercrombie and Fitch. I got a letter from Purdeys and a letter from Bob Beech with Griffin and Howe. Bob traced the gun through their books and found that Abercrombie and Fitch sold it three times over the years. He sent me the copies of the ledgers showing the entries on the gun. I know I have the name of the first buyer but can't remember if i got the other two. Unfortunately it wasn't owned by Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Askins, or Havilah Babcock.

Delightful gun and deadly on flushing birds pointed by my French Brittanys.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/23/12 06:24 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
...Love your Limey Lucas ignition and electrical systems, about as dependable as a rubber crutch in a hailstorm....

ALL QUAKE IN FEAR OF THE SHADOW OF JOSEPH LUCAS, THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS!!!! eek

For maddening torture drive a French car with Lucas Electrics accompanied by an Italian Girlfriend. sick

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

A three-position switch from Lucas; Off, Dim, and Flicker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.