May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 893 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
larryguy
Unregistered
larryguy
Unregistered

I've read Dr. Jones book and have asked this question before, but I seek information from our British cousins on this subject - do you/have you/are you experiencing issues when using fiber(re) wadded cartridges in bore sizes larger than standard i.e say .735 - .740 vs. .719/.729? I have been told by UK users - "Nah, not a problem do it all the time in my old guns". Others, including Dr. Jones say it can be a problem with gas blow by and shot balling. Observations, comments, experiences please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not Brit Larry . . . but I've measured at least a couple Parker 12's that were close to .750. And of course they were all pre-plastic wad days. Should be some guys out there with classic American guns that could also comment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When loading brass hulls you use the next larger gauge, 11's for 12 bore, 9 for 10. ect. I believe this should indicate it's ok. I shot a Parker 10 loaded with 3.5 drams 2F and 1.25 oz lead at bluebills for years, WOW, !!
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am of the opinion that wad designation has changed over the years. Some old recommendations I have read stated for loading BP in brass shells to use 2 sizes larger wads while for smokeless in paper hulls to use 1 size larger. Th first shells I loaded in the late 1950s were all loaded with card & fiber wads. I also loaded for a muzzle loader for which I had to order oversize wads (11ga). The thing I noted though was the standard 12ga wads measured about .750" while the 11ga ones went to around .770" or close to actual 10ga size.
I am highly suspicious that those early directions calling for 1 & 2 sizes larger were actually refering to what we today would call 12 & 11 ga wads.
I also at that point in time loaded for a 20ga using brass shells for which my wads were marked 18, but don't recall the actual diameter of them. The muzzl loader had bores which measured about .750 & the regular 1ga wads did not give a good seal. Patterns improved considerably when I switched to the larger wads.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have occasionally experienced a 'duff' cartridge, but it is very rarely. I shoot a Miroku with bores of 0.740" I never really worry unduly about fibre wad cartridges, I just buy them and shoot them, without issues.
Dr. Jones as written a lot of words, and done a lot of patterning, and made a lot of observations, some say conclusions.There are those that shoot, and there are those that write.
Maybe more of us would be anal if we thought about it a bit more, but life's too short, get out there and do things.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Salopian, the pressure of firing seems to expand the wads the fraction they need, much in the manner that the Minie bullet used to work.

No more writing, I'll get out and do something!

Last edited by Small Bore; 06/23/12 09:32 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.