March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think new bbls by the maker are great. I would buy a gun with them because I know that those guns can be great deals. Most of the time, they simply don't bring the money that a comparable gun with similar original bbls brings.

But I would pass on just about any gun that needs new bbls. It's usually too expensive to do. And unless you steal the gun, it's real, real, hard to ever get your money back.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello owd,
replacement barrels may not be a barrier to all but the current gun market in the uk has very little demand for "short" 27 inch barrels and this is likely to have hindered a sale for many.
cheers
bill mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent point - and kind of odd.

Back in the heyday of the 25" bbls, did people miss that many birds? Did they shoot that poorly?

I bet they still killed plenty of game with those stubby tubes.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello again,
i understand that even when churchill xxv 's etc were at their most popular they were still a tiny minority on shoots in comparison to the longer 28 and 30 inch.
whilst i fully agree that a capable shot may perform well with short barrels history and fashion have dictated that they are no longer popular,hence no demand.
i can, of course, miss equally as well with all lengths!
cheers bill
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
I think new bbls by the maker are great. I would buy a gun with them because I know that those guns can be great deals. Most of the time, they simply don't bring the money that a comparable gun with similar original bbls brings.

But I would pass on just about any gun that needs new bbls. It's usually too expensive to do. And unless you steal the gun, it's real, real, hard to ever get your money back.

OWD

Absolutely!! I prefer new bbls over originals in good condition (probably more modern alloys).

This gun had just too many features that made it, in my opinion, worth a lot less. Also, the market is rich with re-barreled guns that realistically fetch a fraction of that one.

There is nothing wrong with them, but the market for re-barreled and/or re-finished guns is overloaded hence prices are pitifully low hence good deal abound if one wants one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recolor casehardening on 100 year old guns never seems right, especially on an H and H Royal whose engraving shows so well when worn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my mind it is a shooter. So the question is what is it worth to someone who can use it as a shooter.
A fellow club member could shoot this gun without alterations he thinks_ depending on the amount of cast.
With warts and all taken into account what is the current market value range of this gun as a shooter for a lefty?

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another way to look at it:

If the low estimate was 8000 (appx USD12500) and Holt's seller's commission is 20% then the seller would accept USD10,000. I don't know what the relationship between low estimate and reserve is at Holt's but the seller would probably have had a reserve of about 6000 if Holt's permitted that spread. That kind of reserve would mean that the seller would have accepted less than USD8,000.

If I was a lefty and the gun fit and if I wanted it I personally would pay about USD10,000. but not much, if any, more. I would be far more comfortable in the USD8-9K range.

But I wouldn't take an auction house's word for it (ANY auction house) and would want to examine it myself or have someone do it for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gnomon.

Your thinking is on a similar vein as our discussion - 6-7K. He will be in contact with the house to set up a viewing. Your information is much appreciated.
Anyone else care to voice an opinion.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.