May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (gil russell, Jimmy W, JDH, Ken Georgi, 3 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,512
Posts545,663
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I hate rudeness in a man", to quote Capt. Woodrow Call.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/28/12 07:21 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Rise,
It isn't quite that simple, actually, and I'm humored to see that my point clearly went right over your head.
Because gunmaking is an art, really, I simply used your thrown gauntlet as an excuse to illustrate the more artistic side of Spanish culture, and the things the Spanish are, indeed, internationally famous for. Segovia's body of musical work is, indeed, a "thing" to use your word. One would have a difficult time separating the artist from his Spanish identity, or his body of work, because they are so closely intertwined. Ditto, as it were, Vincenté Amigo and Flamenco dance. Let's face it, you can't duplicate Manchego cheese anywhere else, either. Or, whether you like it or not, Spanish gunmaking. Careful reading, and observation of my post would have revealed that every single one of them is involved in an artisan pursuit of things uniquely dependant on Spanish interpretation.
I assure you, they are as much "things" as any Aston ever could be.
Look, the Spanish gunmakers who did business here were typically forced into a price point that often was simply not realistic. So was Parker, and the reports that surfaced about soft parts in lower grade Parker guns (see Zutz, among others) was a symptom of the same disorder. Given freedom to price according to quality would have done wonderful things to the output of both manufacturers, but, the Spanish are always condemned first, and most virulently.
I have avoided single triggers and ejectors in Spanish guns, but, I did the same thing with English guns too, and for the same reason. The English don't get near the level of crap the Spanish do, but, the reliable English single trigger is just about as rare as the Spanish one.
Admit it. The truth will set you free.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gee, guess I will have to sell my two Uggies. one is a recent purchace as the other one has given excellent service for years. Mr. Rise has opened my eyes to my shortcomeing in SxS. Won't metion the various other European SXSs I have for he probably would burst my bubble for enjoying them. Guess I'll just dig one of my old American made ones and use them.

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i was so impressed with mr. rise"s comments i took my uggie out and gave it a good thrashing on the hood of my spanish sports car. i hope i did the right thing. but then again what do i know? im over the hill and gaining speed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I hear Spanish culture is going bankrupt. Along with their world-famous shotguns.

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

thank you very muchly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote: Personally, I hear Spanish culture is going bankrupt

Aren't we!!

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't want to highjack this thread, but how about some pictures and comments about the gun in question. The floor plate is the worst, I will have to file it completely flat to get rid of the pits. I would rather have it with no engraving than with the pits though, so under the file it goes.

I emailed Lion Country Supply about a spring and they suggested I drop the gun off and their "off site gunsmith" would fix it. I emailed back that the gun is already tore down, and I just need a spring.

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chaz,

If you can't easily find a replacement, I recommend manufacturing one. This would be a perfect gun to practice making a spring yourself from scratch.

I look forward to watching your progress with this project.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2holer
Quote: Personally, I hear Spanish culture is going bankrupt

Aren't we!!

Nope and nope.

By the way, the notion that Spanish guns have "soft steel" dates back to the 50s and 60s and is no longer an issue. Any well-shot Spanish gun from that era that has survived has good steel and the new ones are uniformly excellent.

The AyA #2 is Britain's largest-selling SxS!

I personally own 5 Spanish SxSs (Including an AyA #2 20 ga) and they are all great guns. Some superb; others just very good.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.