Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#283795 07/04/12 04:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You guys were so great about my vest question, I thought I'd ask about cooking quail. Shot my first few yesterday morning at a preserve. Have experience with just about all other upland but have never cooked quail. Any suggestions?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Different quail taste different - I suppose it depends upon what they eat.

A few recommendations: A Hunter's Cookbook by Cuthbert and Eastham has great recipes and is very well illustrated. It covers most game including birds. They have some nice quail recipes including quail and saurkraut.

Then, look at the archives of The Field and the Shooting Times magazine. Over the years they have had great recipes by Mark Hinge.

I do not have the patience to pluck these birds so I only take the breasts, same as with grouse. This year I want to try a grouse pie with grouse liver on toast but that would mean making grouse stock and that would mean plucking grouse and that would mean hanging them....

I think the grouse pie recipe is an old one from The Field If I find it I'll post the reference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cook them two ways:

1. Wrapped in bacon and thown on the grill.

2. Covered with a good dry rub and grilled. Those who have attended the Southern SxS in Sanford the last two years can attest to the dry rubbed and grilled meathod. I cooked 80 quail at the L.C. Smith Collectors' Association Hospitality Tent in 2011 and another 60 quail and about 25 pheasant this year. I had a hard time cooking them fast enough to keep everyone happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wrapped in bacon always works, on just about everything. If you want to be a bit more elegant, try this:

Pluck and clean the birds, leaving the skin intact. Wash and pat dry. Rub the insides and outsides of the birds generously with olive oil and honey. Stuff the cavities with chopped apples and onions, then tie the legs together to keep your stuffing from falling out of the cavity. If you lightly brown the apples and onions before stuffing, that's even better. Brown the birds on a grill, or slide them into the oven at 325-350 in a roasting pan. The sugars in the honey carmelize nicely and the olive oil keeps them from drying out. You can even wrap these in bacon or just lay a half slice of bacon over each bird if you oven roast them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

aunt ruby used tu roll em in flouer and slow fry erm in crisco, covered, til de was most tender...salt and pepper was all the seasonin she ever used...as i recall.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

With a small paring knife, filet the breasts from the bone. Remove thigh and leg intact from backbone by disjointing thigh and cutting meat away from backbone. No need to debone thigh or drumstick. All this is done easily if birds are skinned. In a hot skillet, saute meat in olive oil a few minutes per side. Salt and pepper when done. Don't over cook. The meat will taste like quail rather than bacon. This is quail at its simplest. If desired, chop a little garlic and saute in pan with quail.

GLS #283813 07/04/12 06:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS, if I may: after removing the meat from pan deglaze with some port and add
some cream. Serve on a slice of bread fried in butter till golden on both sides with
the port sauce on top.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been eating bobwhite quail all my life. The wild ones have a different taste from the pen-raised birds. My favorite has always been skinned seasoned with salt and pepper then rolled in flour and pan fried like chicken...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I've been eating bobwhite quail all my life. The wild ones have a different taste from the pen-raised birds. My favorite has always been skinned seasoned with salt and pepper then rolled in flour and pan fried like chicken...Geo

+1 best fried in fresh bacon grease, with biscuits and milk gravy.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some recipes here .

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.