May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (earlyriser, tut, Purpleshells, graybeardtmm3, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 335 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,726
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder sometimes if opinions about the 16 are affected by geography to a significant degree. East of the Rockies, a 20 is fine for grouse and quail at normal distances. I can see why people there might not see the need for a 16. West of the Rockies however, in the prairies and scab lands where chukars and huns are often had at 30-45 yds, I find a 20 lacking, while a slim 16 with a fast load of 1 or 1 1/8oz of 7's or 6's is the cat's meow.

Oink oink.

Last edited by Mark Larson; 07/05/12 12:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as a gun throws 1 ounce of #7.5 @ 1220 fps and meets my criteria for the job at hand (fit, handling and pretty wood) the gauge, as long as it's a 20, 16 or 12, is secondary to me. I find none lacking and no magic in any of them. That applies to everything from skeet targets and starlings to ruffed grouse and FITASC clays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 16ga was the "Darling" of many an old Southern "Bird" hunter both in doubles & in the early pumps & semi autos. The A5 in Sweet 16 guise was a great favorite of many. To you yanks, in the South Bird means the Bob White quail. Any other species one might hunt was called by name, but when one went after quail they were Bird Hunting. I think the fact that the 16 was skipped in the regular line up in skeet probably had more to do with its decline than any other factor. The 16 could only be shot against the 12s, so if one had a twenty to shoot in that class it simply didn't make much sense to also have a 16.
The vast majority of my hunting has been done with the 12 & 20s, but I do like the 16 as well. For those of us who still like the classical American doubles it is still easier to find a 16 in the 6-6˝ lb range than a 12 & they are generally less costlier than the same grade gun in a 20. The vast majority of US 12s are over 7lbs, I do realize lighter ones were built, they are not the ones most commonly found.
I do have A Lefever 12ga in H grade with 28" twist bbls which weighs 6˝lbs. Also have an H grade 16 with 28" twist bbls that weighs 6 3/4lbs. And "YES" stood up across the room, even looking through my glasses for my less than perfect 74 year old eyes, that 16 still has a neater & trimmer look. Also in spite of its heavier than normal for a 16 weight it was built on the smaller XX frame. I did pay more for this 16 than I did for a 12ga FE, but the fact it was some 20 yrars later was the major factor there.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Larson
I wonder sometimes if opinions about the 16 are affected by geography to a significant degree. East of the Rockies, a 20 is fine for grouse and quail at normal distances. I can see why people there might not see the need for a 16. West of the Rockies however, in the prairies and scab lands where chukars and huns are often had at 30-45 yds, I find a 20 lacking, while a slim 16 with a fast load of 1 or 1 1/8oz of 7's or 6's is the cat's meow.

Oink oink.

Or perhaps a 2 1/2" 12 with the same load. smile (The only reason I specify 2 1/2" is because, on average, they're lighter than 2 3/4" 12's--although you can find some lightweights there too.)

There can certainly be a problem with short-chambered guns that have very short forcing cones with a sharp taper. In some of those, you do need to shoot 2 1/2" hulls. Although one solution--which will not take a gun out of proof--would be to lengthen the cone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig1958, I reckon your chances of buying a slab of 16 bore cartridges in Africa is the same as Sophie Loren being transported back in time to 1955 and turning up at my doorstep and asking me out to dinner with a happy ending ;)best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen Mike Campbell, though I admire Prince Charles in UK, normally only ever shoots his pair of Purdey 28´s (he calls them his peashooters) and he only shoots high wild driven pheasants and partridge) but he doesn´t miss much ! Mind you, I´d like his amount of practice smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, that is what I was afraid of!! Great gauge when you're close to home, but don't leave home with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Great gauge when you're close to home, but don't leave home with it.

16 gauge shooters learned some time ago that once you step out into the cold cruel world you become self sufficient as far as ammunition goes. That is why I usually pack four boxes of shells with various shot size and charge to cover all contingencies for a one day hunt. I may forget one of my guns, my rain gear, or my dog whistle (couldn't forget my dog because he always beats me to the Landcuiser)but never my ammunition. If you are really paranoid about running out of ammuntion just invest in a couple of 20 gauge chamber mates. Remember P poor planning leads to P poor performance. On the plus side shooting a 16 gauge really keeps your hunting buddies from bumming your ammunition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TB, Chamber mates? Can someone please clue me in on chamber mates? Will they work on any shotgun of any action type, pump, auto loader, etc?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience of 16ga ammo availability differs form those talking about scarcity. I can find the excellant 16ga Fiocchi Golden Pheasants loads in any sporting goods store when I am on the road hunting pheasants and grouse. The bigger sporting goods store have a wide range of 16ga ammo to chose from, as well. I've even been able to find 16ga at gas stations.

That being said, I am very particular about what ammo I feed my guns when hunting regardless of gauge, and thus always buy exactly what I want on the interenet and bring it along. Just like gas for my car, with a little planning I've never come close to running out.

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.