March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, Jimmy W, AZMike, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, 1 invisible), 613 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, just was curious to see what you think on this subject. As it stands today, the fad/trend is for longer bbls.

But, what do you think about shorter bbls (25"/26") do they have a nich in the doublegun world?

As we all know, years ago, short bbls were in for the uplands, does anyone think they'll make a come back?

Your thoughts please!

Thanks as always!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't pay a great eal of attention to barrel length. However, do find that longer barrels usually do contribute a great deal to the higher swing efforts (unmounted and mounted MOI's) that I find I shoot better.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use 25" barreled guns to shoot driven game in the UK. I have heard the argument that longer barrels help to maintain swing many times. For this to be true, longer barrels must be slower in starting to swing through a bird. I like the fast handling that short barrels give me and I have not experienced any problems with hitting both high pheasants or fast partridges. Short barreled guns are usually lighter to carry when walking to your peg, this helps to get you settled before the drive starts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, does length have any real affect on the MOI versus the weight of the barrels and the affect of length acting on the point of balance as a lever? That is, would the MOI be different for barrels of different lengths if the point of balance and the weight were the same? My high school physics tells me that with the exception of the slight difference in resistance through the air that it is the mass of the barrels forward of the point of balance that is the major factor.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have spent much time considering this, and trying to be honest with myself about why I prefer longer barrels. I have come to these conclusions. Long barrels are aesthetically more pieasing to my eyes. The shortest barreled double I own is 28", and it is a .410. It looks longer and much more elegant than a 28" 12 ga., the slenderness of the tubes adding a subtle "gracefulness" to it's lines, as opposed to the fat tubes on a 12.

Aesthetics aside, I have believed for most of my life that I shoot a longer barreled gun better than a short one. I have long arms so naturally grip the gun farther out the barrels than most men. This gives me added leverage in swinging. I believe this factor is not considered in most discussions of barrel length preferences, but is crucial to handling qualities in a particular gun. So, I tend to move a shorter barreled gun too quick, and stop it too quick.

That said, spending a little time with Don, and his MOI device, has been a revelation to me. He helped me see and understand that barrel length is not nearly as demanding a mistress as is where the weight in the gun is located, or distributed. I.e., a short barreled gun can actually handle more like what I feel I need than one a bit longer, if the weight is distributed farther away from the balance point. This has changed my way of thinking greatly about handling (not about looks!). I will give more consideration to that, and less to length. As a caveat though, I still find that the vast majority of longer guns suit my handling characteristics more so than shorter ones.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My longest barrels are on a 10 bore with 32". My shortest barrels are on a 12 bore with 28". I can hit better with the 28" but I don't think it has as much to do with barrel length as it does with stock fit. I don't like the looks of a gun with barrels less than 28".

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, we all have our preferences, but I don't see short barrels making a comeback in popularity. Reason: Barrel length for field guns is influenced, more than most of us believe, by the clay target games. Short barrels were once in favor for upland hunting, and that trend (IMO) was strongly influenced by the then relatively new clay target game: skeet. Remember when almost everyone shot 26" barreled skeet guns? Carried over to the trend in upland guns, and skeet was created as practice for upland shooting.

Now we have sporting clays influencing barrel length, and those guys have gone longer and longer. Preferred barrel length on skeet guns has gotten longer.

Personally, I like doubles with 28" barrels for almost everything (hunting and clay targets) except trap, which I very seldom shoot. And when I do, I dig out my old Sterlingworth 12ga with 30" barrels. Some gun writers talk about the advantages of shorter barreled guns for grouse and woodcock hunting, because you're less likely to whack short barrels on trees. I've whacked plenty of barrels when shooting grouse and woodcock, but it's seldom the last 2-3" that come in contact with the tree in question. But gun for gun, shorter barrels mean lighter weight, and that can be an advantage for the grouse and woodcock hunter.

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/08/12 09:20 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,

As always, well said.

I shoot targets better with 30" - 32" because once I get them started it is hard to subconsciously stop them!

Mark

USMC Retired
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi COL, excellent point on Sporting Clays. I remember when the game fist started, it was supposed to be a game that hunters (with hunting guns) could recreate field type situations and help them shoot better in the field. Of course it evolved into a target game with specialized guns, chokes and what have you. To bad, seems if you show up at a SC course with your trusty hunting gun, your looked at like some kind of odd ball.

Oh well another topic!

Thanks again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

For the Upland hunting you and I do here on the Northern Plains, short barrels are no handicap and may be an advantage on our flushed pheasants, sharp tails and huns. If we did a lot of hunting in the wetlands where passing shooting is a way of life, I think longer barrels would serve us better.

I shoot 26 inch barrels very well on pheasants, but I do like the looks of 28 or 29 inch barrels on a SxS.

bc
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.