April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (coosa, susjwp, Ted Schefelbein), 1,010 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JayCee #283825 07/04/12 07:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You folks are all invited to my place to cook.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Their food does make a dif. In the wild they eat bugs, mostly.

If you are skinning the birds & not plucking, a fool proof way to keep them moist & tender and still tasting like quail is to cut a fairly thick slice, 3/8"~1/2" of a sweet onion, like a Texas 1015, or Noonday or one of the GA variety. You can also use a regular white [stronger] or yellow [neutral, but mellow] onion, if you can't source a sweet variety. Place it on top of the bird breast up and put the whole in a 'Texas wrap' [aluminum foil] and then put it on the grill at a temp just north of 275 F, but not to exceed 350 for 45 minutes. Birds will be melt in your mouth tender and you can season them w/salt & pepper to taste once on the plate. The onion may be set aside or eaten [my preference], it will be cooked through and impart zero taste to the quail. This is a 'quick & dirty' method that is bullet proof.

Jan Carlos's methods & suggestions does the quarry much more justice, but it requires some finesse in the kitchen getting there.

Don't scoff at this until you have done it. Makes for some great tasting quail that taste exactly like ... quail.

Last edited by tw; 07/04/12 08:00 PM. Reason: none, but i did not spell check any of it.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got this method from Martha Stewart who used it to cook turkeys (are you reading this jOe?). I use it on pheasants but it'll work for quail or any bird that might cook too dry. I wrap the bird in butter-soaked cheese cloth and bake it breast down so the breast stays in the juices and butter that runs to the pan bottom. I vary the spices, the above just helps to keep it moist.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I've been eating bobwhite quail all my life. The wild ones have a different taste from the pen-raised birds. My favorite has always been skinned seasoned with salt and pepper then rolled in flour and pan fried like chicken...Geo

This is my favorite too. Tastes great with any upland game bird really. I like to fry with large chunks of onion and mushrooms left whole or cut in half. De-glazing afterwards with port and cream sounds fantastic also!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Our wild quail recipe: I filet the meat off the breast. My wife rolls them in egg batter and deep fries them to somewhere between around medium rare. The usual cream gravy, mashed potatoes, and glazed carrots. Back when it was easier to stay trim she also made and served the world's best pecan pie for dessert.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of this sounds great.

Another angle - if you're concerned about the bird drying out, pluck them then make some compound butter (butter, softened but not melted, with chopped/crushed herbs mixed into it) and slip a knob under the skin, then work it around evenly, particularly under the breast skin. I usually use fines herbes - parsley, chives, chervil and tarragon - in just about anything poultry or egg related. You can also use thyme or, as Phyllis did upthread, use herbes de Provence, similar to fines herbes but with the addition of rosemary and lavender.

Serving on fried bread or toast is a classic method, not just for quail but also woodcock and other small gamebirds. Soaks up the juice so it doesn't get lost.

Also, if you have some dried mushrooms, you can grind them in a mortar and pestle to a flour and add a touch to the cream sauce where they will help thicken and flavor it. Just a dab - the drying intensifies the mushroom flavor.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Split several anaheim peppers and clean them out. Stuff with quail breast pieces and vidalia or bermuda onion chunks. Wrap with bacon.

Grill on all sides until bacon is crispy. Yum!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fried.....lightly breaded.....mashed potatoes.......quail gravy (pan drippings, a bit of flour, pepper and milk)......doesn't get any better

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't argue with any of the recipes offered by the forum. Think I'll thaw out some birds for tomorrow night...Geo

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.