May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (cpa, Jtplumb, bushveld, earlyriser, Guy Ave, 1 invisible), 426 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,426
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, others have commented more informatively on guns against fascism and I can only add that the Jews who could get out did and those who couldn't went to the camps. There was no other way. Fascism was wildly popular in Germany. Any notions of armed resistance must consider Warsaw and, to really put a fine point on it, the early French and British military performance against the most professional and powerful forces the world had ever seen. If the Brits, if the 51st Highlanders couldn't make a dent, how could the Jews?

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,

The letter proves that Dodd had in his possession a translated copy of the German law prior to writing GCA'68 (Gun Control Act 1968). The obvious question that you refuse to speculate or even consider is WHY? Rep. John Dingle (D-Michigan) made some objections in the House debate over this law that it resmebled too closely the NLW'38 (Nazi Law on Weapons 1938). He was attacked by Senator Tydings (D-MD) who I believe was from Maryland, and Dingle backed down. Why did this happen if they were not alike?

NFA'34 only put restrictions and a prohibitive tax on machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns only. GCA'68 and NLW'38 placed very similar restrictions on firearms dealers, transfers, and citizen possession that was applied to every gun.

BATF form 4473 and the Nazi Firearm Acquisition Permit (Waffenerwerbschein), which these laws created are very similar. They require almost identical information about the purchaser and the firearm.

Answer me straight up: Have you read both of these laws and compared them side by side?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kingsley:

Parse this logically, and consider just what you have said.

Let me see. It would have been bad for the Jews to have been armed because their chance of sucess would have been low?

10,000 poorly armed starving wretches, who FOUGHT in the Warsaw Ghetto tied the Nazi police state in knots for a month. Most died. Most would have died anyway.

100,000 Jews on Krystallnacht or the the time peroid of the aftermath. They were not armed - most died. If they had been armed, most would have died. Some however, might not have. I know given a choice of being a helpless victim, or being a COMBATANT, which one I would choose. Its one thing to die in battle, quite another thing to be slaughtered like cattle.

My leftist friends seem to think there is some sort of moral superiority to be gained by achieving the status of "victimhood". I havent bought into that lie yet.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
JM #28422 02/27/07 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JM
Jack,

The letter proves that Dodd had in his possession a translated copy of the German law prior to writing GCA'68 (Gun Control Act 1968). The obvious question that you refuse to speculate or even consider is WHY?

JM: I'm amazed such a lame conspiracy theory continues to circulate. Think about it. The letter is dated July 12, 1968. By the time that letter was written, most of the GCA provisions had gone through congressional hearings for years and the language was largely in place. So why did Dodd, after 7 years of working on gun control legislation (he started in 1961), suddenly ask for a copy of the Nazi law?

Probably because Rep. John Dingell, in a hearing before Dodd's committee, compared the proposed legislation to the 1938 Nazi law! If you were accused of copying something, wouldn't you want to check it out? Do you really imagine that on such a controversial topic, Dodd could read a document in mid-July, draw up a "near verbatim copy" and make it a law by October?

To be fair - if you understood the legislative process, you wouldn't have been suckered by the JFPO conspiracy theory. I've had considerable experience with state and federal legfislation. It can take years to get any major legislation drawn up, run through committees, redrawn, compromises hammered out, passed by the House, sent to the Senate, more hearings, more compromises, passed by the Senate, sent to conference, and finally voted up or down. The notion that a senator can scribble out a highly controversial law and make it happen in three months is ridiculous. So the date on the letter itself disproves the JPFO conspiracy theory.

Quote:
Answer me straight up: Have you read both of these laws and compared them side by side?

Yes.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
JM: the letter is dated July 12, 1968. By the time that letter was written, most of the GCA language had been wrangled over for years and was already in place. So why did Dodd, after 7 years of working on gun control legislation (he started in 1961), suddenly ask for a copy of the Nazi law?

Well then, if the law was already crafted long before this time, then why was the Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delingquency, which Dodd chaired, meeting on July 8th, 9th, and 10th in 1968 as dated on the Subcommittee Transcript that is on record at the Library of Congress? You don't meet on an investigative committee when the law as you claim was already written. The committee to investigate should have completed its work by then and submitted its findings to the Judiciary Committee if the law was already written. Also, no one is claiming that Dodd started the GCA'68 with this law, but he certainly ended with it. What official documentation do you have that Dodd was working on this bill for 7 years?

Probably because Rep. John Dingell, in a hearing before Dodd's committee, compared the proposed legislation to the 1938 Nazi law! If you were accused of copying something, wouldn't you want to take a look at it?

That does not answer my question. Why would Dingel compare the proposed bill to NLW'38 if they are not similar?

Yes, I have copies of all three laws, and I have read them. So, let's start discussing the individual laws section by section. Which one do you want to start with. Name the law and secion so there's no misunderstanding.

Last edited by JM; 02/27/07 10:32 PM.
JM #28430 02/27/07 10:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh Sheet. I just realized that if they make guns illegal my retirement is shot to hell. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
JM #28431 02/27/07 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JM
What official documentation do you have that Dodd was working on this bill for 7 years?

Not this bill, JM, lots of gun control bills. Quoting from this site: http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Vizzard3.htm

Upon assuming the chairmanship of the Juvenile Justice Subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1961, Senator Thomas Dodd (D-CT) directed the staff to conduct a study of mail order sales of firearms.[9] After two years of staff study, Senator Dodd introduced his first gun bill, Senate Bill 1975 and opened hearings to generate public interest in the gun issue.[

...During the summer of 1968, gun control advocates in Congress tested the limits of the new policy dynamics with the introduction of bills calling for registration and licensing of firearms...the Dodd subcommittee continued gun control hearings focused almost exclusively on these registration and licensing bills. Although the summer of 1968 marked the high water mark for gun control on the national policy agenda, none of the registration bills came close to passage. In October, Congress passed the GCA to replace Title IV of the Omnibus Act after a spirited debate in both the House and Senate and a flurry of motions by both supporters and opponents of gun control.

Note that it took two years of staff study for Dodd's first GC bill - and you think he wrote one up and whipped it through in 3 months?

Quote:
That does not answer my question. Why would Dingel compare the proposed bill to NLW'38 if they are not similar?

Your first question was:

Quote:
The letter proves that Dodd had in his possession a translated copy of the German law prior to writing GCA'68 (Gun Control Act 1968). The obvious question that you refuse to speculate or even consider is WHY?

I think I have answered that sufficiently. Now it's your turn to answer the question I posted to you yesterday:

Could you fill us in by comparing 'near verbatim' sections?

Last edited by jack maloney; 02/27/07 11:05 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JM: It's verbatim! jm: You inflatem! Praise the Lord and Pass the Hermeneutics.

jack

rabbit #28442 02/28/07 12:20 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I don't know what left or right has to do with the prospects of armed citizens taking on police and military enforcing the law. With all the means at their disposal, Hitler's generals tried twice to assassinate Hitler on the Eastern Front and couldn't penetrate his SS retinue.

There are more Canadians and Americans who currently disagree than agree with their federal government policies. Twice within a week Canada has struck down in Parliament and the Court sections of our anti-terrorism laws. No one here or there would take the law into their own hands.

I was in Oxford in the leafy town square the night General Walker and hundreds of his tough and determined supporters decided to take on the 82nd and 101st Airborne enforcing federal law to enrol James Meredith at Ole Miss. Where the law does not prevail, you have a police state.

You're not talking insurrection, are you? Sacrificing your life because you don't agree with the popular will as expressed in your legislatures? Of course not.

Regards, King

That's the tough part of democracy - you're free to vote your way - but you don't always get your way.

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.