May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, Ian Forrester, Ken57, 1 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc
YOU ARE the man for today !!!
This IS Rockdoc day

All hail the chief

smile smile

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, your contributions are always welcome, do not restrain yourself!

Surely Der Ami's post is lacking a smiley.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm being overly sensitive. As for Der Ami's missive, he may be right. I grew up to be 6'5" in high school and I was strong as an ox, I didn't work out, I just came by it naturally. On the downside, I was clumsy and awkward as hell. I do have a long history of twisting off lug nuts, splitting sockets, breaking T-wrenches and breaker bars. So maybe Der Ami's comment was well founded. At 65 I'm still pretty strong, not like I once was, but probably stronger than many guys my age, especially if I'm pissed-off and my adrenalyn kicks in. The Hulk comes to mind (LOL).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc,
Believe me, you aren't in any trouble with me. You young lads know how to add the smiley faces, but us computer illiterate old farts don't. I was 5'8" in high school,but am 5'6 1/2"now.If I have any more back and neck operations I will be 5'4".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Rockdoc,
Believe me, you aren't in any trouble with me. You young lads know how to add the smiley faces, but us computer illiterate old farts don't. I was 5'8" in high school,but am 5'6 1/2"now.If I have any more back and neck operations I will be 5'4".
Mike

Sorta like those 9.3x72R's changing dimensions....

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the best method I have found. As long as I am not too close to wood, I hold a hair dryer about an inch over the screw for about a minute. I have an icecube ready to press on the screw head and surrounding metal until it melts. Then do it again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

grouse guy,
Here is a simple method to free slotted screws used by English gunsmiths.Grind a turnscrew to fit the slot in the screw head, make sure that the driver blade bottoms out in the screw slot.With the driver located in the screw slot,using small mechanics hammer give the top of the handle of the turnscrew several sharp downward blows.This will in most situations free a rusted in screw, prior to normal turnscrew removal.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All:

Thanks for your varied advice.

Presently the screw heads and tips are being doused in Kroil for a few days. I then plan to shock the screw heads with a light hammer, and perhaps 100 rounds of targets.

And I may even heat the screws with a soldering iron, keeping a bucket of water nearby, should ignition occur!

I'm also going to order a replacement set of action screws in the event any snap or bugger. I really like the drill press approach, but not having a good press and cradle handy I'll leave that technique for a pro should I need to ship it away for service.

You guys are a great resource.

Regards,
GG

Last edited by Grouse Guy; 07/10/12 11:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hold the gun in a padded vice .Use only correctly ground screw drives ,I don't use turn screws never have and never will .
Penetrating oil,heat ,cold what ever but a good size screw driver handel that you can get good grip on is half the battle in my opinion . If its a flat bladed driver then a spanner can give you the extra torque needed .Please also remember that some guns have hidden locking screws on cocking dog screws and top lever pins for example .

Sidelock
Sidelock

All good advice. Couple observations based on 50+ years amateur machine work.

Kroil is awesome.

Time is awesome and just be patient.

Heat and cold and mild mechanical shock help Kroil get in there.

The drill press idea is very good and works well. I use it a lot to start taps - but I manually turn the v-belt pulley at the top of the spindle. That gives me enough leverage - more than enough. It's more than one need to loosen a stuck screw. Long lever-arms and wrenches on the chuck are unnecessary and can cause damage.

Fifty-plus years ago I had a drill press with a handwheel that fit over the splined shaft at the top. Incredibly useful - never seen one since. So I use the big V-belt pulley to turn the spindle instead.

Anal-compulsive attention to turnscrew fit to the slot is absolutely important. Precision grind your tips to fit.

Very good and helpful thread!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.