May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tim Wolf, azgreg, mel5141, KY Jon, smp190, bushveld), 246 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,878
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What do most people consider the golden era of SxS guns from the high end English makers. Is the period of 1890 to 1915 close?

Thanks.
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say so. Maybe even go back ten years earlier than that too, around 1880. During that time frame it seems to me that most of the really important innovations were starting to gain foothold and by the end of 19th century and in the very early years of the new century, pretty much perfected. I'm no expert, just my opinion.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

The golden era was an Edwardian thing, and really starting with the London patent Sle gamegun. 1900-WWI

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the golden era of SxS guns?

Right now.
  • Buy a golden era original - the world's inventory is on your PC
  • New best guns, custom ordered and hand made, from LG's big 3, the continent or CSMC, and plenty of flush buyers to keep the craftsmen busy
  • CNC factory guns that are pretty darn good, B-guns and RizziniB/CGs come to mind
  • Truly cheap SxSs from the emerging countries

I confused barrel orientation in the CNC example above, but you get the pernt.

Last edited by Yeti; 02/28/07 10:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti, You have nicked the matter. High quality modern steel, CNC production and we are in the pink of the double gun era. Not cheap for the best quality but it never was cheap. It is the lower cost guns that are better now. Let the games begin! David

Sidelock
Sidelock

1917 to 1945. Between the two wars. Some beautiful guns were built in Europe, the US and Britain, hand engraving was still the fad, black powder gave way to smokeless and steel was getting close to perfect.

Jim

I've never met a bird dog I didn't like.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree with the answer above from Jim Moore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before reading the responses to the original post / question I was thinking just as Yeti stated. The number of options out there now is almost numbing. In every price range.

If I were looking for a gun from the 'Golden Era,' I would be looking for something made just before WWI.

Lou M

Burr! Its cold out here. Winter arrived!

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a modern day Greener built by David and Richard would be as near to perfection as you could have or ever get.Peter Nelson,Dave Sinnerton, Tony White, John & Brian Wiseman (now there is a nugget)all spring to mind, but at what cost and timeframe? Answer= phenominal cost and when it is right it will be ready timeframe.
Which sends us back in time to a Dickson, Harkom, Woodward, or best of all a Beesley.IMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

No such thing as a'Golden Era' in my opinion.

The best craftsmen from any era would stand comparison with the best from any other.

Depends what you want- if you want a stocked to the fences hammerless bar-action sidelock with top-lever, intercepting sears, ejectors, steel barrels and a single trigger then you have to look to around 1910-1939 for everything now considered 'modern' to be in place and working proprerly. Post WW2 production can be variable but the best is as good as pre-was stuff.

One reason the WW1 - WW2 era is so lauded is that there are lots of guns from that era around in good condition. A lot of earlier stuff got shot to pieces or handed on to gardeners and the like.

Take one of these pre-war guns by a 'best' maker and you have a top quality gun which you can still buy for a reasonable price (relative to a new one with the same spec and quality).

Take apart an 1870 hammer gun of quality and you will struggle to find better work and attention to detail. you could argue that the aesthetic never exceeded the 1870s hammer gun, As I say, it depends on what you like and what you appreciate.

The

'Golden Era' is to my mind the lazy shorthand of a salesman trying to get more for a gun he is trying to sell and a comforting cliche that stands no real examination. a gun is as good as it is regardless of when it was made.

Consider each one you see accordingly and forget about 'Golden Eras'.

Last edited by Small Bore; 03/01/07 05:54 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.