May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marks_21, SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, 2 invisible), 718 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,600
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#287641 08/02/12 03:44 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just to update you on the Boss restoration, Steve Bertram looked it over for me, took all the appropriate measurements and submitted the information to John Foster with the intention of having him sleeve it. Sadly, Mr. Foster turned the project down flat.

His opinion was that although the down-guage sleeve could be done, he was afraid to attempt it because he didn't think the result would pass proof. Problem in short, is the fact it was built too long ago, fences are too delicate, frame too light, and lock-up is not Jones patent, but just a single bite underlever arrangement.

I told Steve to send it back to me. I'll either clean it up a little and hang it on the wall of my office for a conversation piece, or follow hOmeless jOe's admonition and prop up my back porch tomato patch with it. It has been a hot Summer down here and my heirloom Ruskins and Brandywines are drooping badly!

I do want all of you to know that I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and researching this old gun (discovering it's Royal family provenance)as well as pursuing the dream of a restoration. That experience was well worth the $750 price plus 50lb research fee to Boss and Co to me. I bought it with full knowledge of what it was, and I'll have the future enjoyment of telling the story to others...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Only two things that money cain't buy, and that's True Love and Home-Grown Tomatoes." --Guy Clark

Well, maybe three things. As to the provenance, which of the old (shooting) sticks owned it? If you said, George, I missed that post.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jack the gun was built as a pinfire in 1860 for the Hon. Rev. J.W. Lascelles, son of the 3rd Earl of Harewood. The preacher was the Canon, whatever that is, of Ripon Cathedral.

If you remember seeing all the pictures of the Royal Family when William and Kate married, the old tall guy with the pointy white beard was the 7th Earl of Harewood, and the Queen's 1st cousin...Geo

Whoop-de-doo!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 08/02/12 04:40 PM. Reason: I know the provinance don't mean nuthin'
Sidelock
Sidelock

A $750 vintage Boss SxS makes a hell of a lot nicer piece of art than just about any other similarly item I can think of.

Good on you for trying to rescue this one. The fun is in the pursuit. Letting purely financial considerations dominate all decisions is the surest way to make a hobby/passion feel like a job.

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 08/02/12 04:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turn it into a table lamp....just be sure and get a long shade to cover the holes laugh

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Turn it into a table lamp....just be sure and get a long shade to cover the holes laugh

I knowed it was coming! Just like being 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico and seeing a waterspout come up between you and where you were planning to go; you know soon as you see it that it's going to get you.
Bad form to gloat, jOe...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn't help it.....I'm serious about the lamp.

I wish now I had bought one of the hammer gun lamps I saw for sale a few years back.

(Ps...I tried to warn a potential buyer of the gun but my posts were deleted).

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, canon is from the Greek thru the Latin denoting those engaged in a regulatory or management capacity in the day-to-day operation of a cathedral--checking the fire extinguishers, making sure the buttresses are flying, supervising the removal of gum from under the pews.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You mean my guy was a JANITOR?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, let me understand this,
It would not be prudent to have Briley full length 20 or 28 gauge tubes installed in this gun?
It this the conclusion?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/02/12 08:13 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, just think of how much money that $750 saved you. That gun was a bargain. Now you can "invest" your money in the Boston Whaler and watch it grow. wink Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, Briley could install 28ga tubes, but what about the holes cut in the barrels. Yeah it could be shot then, but it would look like hell!...Geo

The answer to Skeetxx's question is most likely, yes its the end of the line. If I can't restore it to something in keeping with the gun's heritage, I think it would be as inappropriate to tube it just to make it shoot as it would be to cut down the barrels and make a table lamp of it. It would make a cool lamp though!

Nah, I'm with Ken Georgi on this one; it is a work of art just as it is.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 08/02/12 08:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Provenance don't mean nuttin'? Say it ain't so, Geo. Is that why postal advertising in Britain is always addressed to the "9th Earl or current occupant."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would there be a way to patch the holes? Maybe weld in a plate and file it flush. Then put it some Briley tubes?

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

George - If you'd like another piece of art for $750 just let me know and I'll send you a full color 8 x 10 photo portrait (framed) of me.

My current look is: letting my hair grow a little longer. Shaved the beard but kept the moustache, only the second time I've had one sans beard.

And, to give it that vintage spice, I'm going handlebar. Not insanely handlebar, with waxed 5 inch curls on each side. I am waxinig it, but it's rather subdued. Gentlemanly. Edwardian. Vintage. Canon-like.

If you want a portrait with a different look from a past time the price will go up. Let me know and I'll send you the price list and full color brochure.

Forgot to mention: All portraits are signed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Mike's idea. Think about it, going to the skeet range shooting an old Boss with the barrels cut in half would be an attention getter. Fun. And it would be perfectly safe.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KK, I think you are messin' with me.

Jack Rabbit, just google "Harewood House" and check out the pictures; Downton Abbey is a hovel!

Adam, mebbe. It would look right, but I'm afraid the "ghosts in the gun" might object. The original owner was Canon of Ripon Cathedral, the owner and the Earl DeGrey were contemporaries and of equal social class and I'll bet but can't prove my gun was on a peg next to Ripon at one time or another.

I think its the wall after I strip off a little of the patina to show off the engraving on the locks and frame as well as the heel and toe plates, and the lovely wood on the gun and wax it to a fare-the-well...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get a second opinion on the sleeving option. I don't buy the line about the frame and fences being to delicate or light. They passed proofed 150 years ago, and unless there is damage to the frame/lockup that hasn't been described, they will again.

If Kirk is back up on his feet and doing barrel work, I would have him take a look at it. It's too nice of a gun to not be put back into service.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Adam, mebbe. It would look right, but I'm afraid the "ghosts in the gun" might object. The original owner was Canon of Ripon Cathedral, the owner and the Earl DeGrey were contemporaries and of equal social class and I'll bet but can't prove my gun was on a peg next to Ripon at one time or another.

The gun 'whispers' to me that this is so. The Boss will not be cut up into a lamp. It won't be tubed just to shoot it. It will be preserved until the technology or the right technichian comes along to make it "right"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, let me go further, I have a Baker with 30 inch twist barrels, I knew there was a split in the right barrel about 12 inches ahead of the breech when I bought her.

She was NOT serviceable but had great condition as she could not be used.

What to do?? I fitted a full length set of Briley 28 gauge tubes and now the Baker can go to the range and when I return her to the Gun Room, she can enter into all the chatter that goes on in that room. I do say she has a smile on her sweet action smile

And if need be, I can take the little plastic hammer and the little nylon drive-out tool and remove the tubes in 10 seconds.

So, if you want the Boss to shoot like a Boss should do, this is a way to do it.

Nostalgic Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/02/12 11:36 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, you make a good point. I think what you did with your gun was the right thing to do. That's not the way I choose to go...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I honor your opinion, enjoy Sir
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Uhm, Birdbath Revisited eh wot! Very impressive pile and good to know no one's sweating where the next scuttle of coal will come from. Ya know, I looked at the shiny anodized aluminum stickin out of the muzzles of that cracked taffy barrel and I agree with you Geo.; wouldn't be quite in keeping with the old thing and her place down the line from the Great Wastrel.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo.Newburn, quite right, she is a far better work of art than 90% of the modern sh%t I see on some peoples wall, hang it up and enjoy what she was, best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
Would there be a way to patch the holes? Maybe weld in a plate and file it flush. Then put it some Briley tubes?

Adam

I had an old truck once boy she looked good but was just full of Bondo....

I vote get Briley tubes and Bondo the holes a little tiche up paint and let her rip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
George, just think of how much money that $750 saved you. That gun was a bargain. Now you can "invest" your money in the Boston Whaler and watch it grow. wink Gil

Another idea make a boat anchor out of it....

Just ask yer self who else has a Boston Whaler with a 'Boss for an anchor ?

And if you fish in salt water it shouldn't take too long to rust this 'thing of a gun out of your mind.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heartless, ain't he...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing wrong with a "hanger" mounted on a floorlamp "rack". The only dilemma; 29" or 30" barrels and # 6 or # 7 shot to weigh it down.......

Larry?

All the best, ;>)

C.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George
All right, all is not lost, so it is a wall ornament. Museums are full of them.
Patch the the offending void with a Damascus Dutchman, not sure of the metalworkers nomenclature, open a bottle of your favourite libation and enjoy your Boss wall art. Cheers.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep your eyes open for a set of period, damascus 16 gauge barrels. Sleeve them onto the lump, and then contact Briley about 28 gauge subsets.
Then, let her rip. Wall hanger my ass. I bet jOe has a booger collection on the wall in his living room, right next to the velvet Elvis, and the 1/43 scale Chinese polystyrene reproduction of the 1953 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, still full of wild turkey.
His Purdey sleever used to rest on the velvet Elvis-just ask him.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

And along came Mr. Sniffle'bean with his custom Moss'turd....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tain't sleeved....

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.