May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jusanothajoe, ithaca1, Nitrah), 1,134 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, just think of how much money that $750 saved you. That gun was a bargain. Now you can "invest" your money in the Boston Whaler and watch it grow. wink Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, Briley could install 28ga tubes, but what about the holes cut in the barrels. Yeah it could be shot then, but it would look like hell!...Geo

The answer to Skeetxx's question is most likely, yes its the end of the line. If I can't restore it to something in keeping with the gun's heritage, I think it would be as inappropriate to tube it just to make it shoot as it would be to cut down the barrels and make a table lamp of it. It would make a cool lamp though!

Nah, I'm with Ken Georgi on this one; it is a work of art just as it is.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 08/02/12 08:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Provenance don't mean nuttin'? Say it ain't so, Geo. Is that why postal advertising in Britain is always addressed to the "9th Earl or current occupant."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would there be a way to patch the holes? Maybe weld in a plate and file it flush. Then put it some Briley tubes?

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

George - If you'd like another piece of art for $750 just let me know and I'll send you a full color 8 x 10 photo portrait (framed) of me.

My current look is: letting my hair grow a little longer. Shaved the beard but kept the moustache, only the second time I've had one sans beard.

And, to give it that vintage spice, I'm going handlebar. Not insanely handlebar, with waxed 5 inch curls on each side. I am waxinig it, but it's rather subdued. Gentlemanly. Edwardian. Vintage. Canon-like.

If you want a portrait with a different look from a past time the price will go up. Let me know and I'll send you the price list and full color brochure.

Forgot to mention: All portraits are signed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Mike's idea. Think about it, going to the skeet range shooting an old Boss with the barrels cut in half would be an attention getter. Fun. And it would be perfectly safe.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KK, I think you are messin' with me.

Jack Rabbit, just google "Harewood House" and check out the pictures; Downton Abbey is a hovel!

Adam, mebbe. It would look right, but I'm afraid the "ghosts in the gun" might object. The original owner was Canon of Ripon Cathedral, the owner and the Earl DeGrey were contemporaries and of equal social class and I'll bet but can't prove my gun was on a peg next to Ripon at one time or another.

I think its the wall after I strip off a little of the patina to show off the engraving on the locks and frame as well as the heel and toe plates, and the lovely wood on the gun and wax it to a fare-the-well...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get a second opinion on the sleeving option. I don't buy the line about the frame and fences being to delicate or light. They passed proofed 150 years ago, and unless there is damage to the frame/lockup that hasn't been described, they will again.

If Kirk is back up on his feet and doing barrel work, I would have him take a look at it. It's too nice of a gun to not be put back into service.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Adam, mebbe. It would look right, but I'm afraid the "ghosts in the gun" might object. The original owner was Canon of Ripon Cathedral, the owner and the Earl DeGrey were contemporaries and of equal social class and I'll bet but can't prove my gun was on a peg next to Ripon at one time or another.

The gun 'whispers' to me that this is so. The Boss will not be cut up into a lamp. It won't be tubed just to shoot it. It will be preserved until the technology or the right technichian comes along to make it "right"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, let me go further, I have a Baker with 30 inch twist barrels, I knew there was a split in the right barrel about 12 inches ahead of the breech when I bought her.

She was NOT serviceable but had great condition as she could not be used.

What to do?? I fitted a full length set of Briley 28 gauge tubes and now the Baker can go to the range and when I return her to the Gun Room, she can enter into all the chatter that goes on in that room. I do say she has a smile on her sweet action smile

And if need be, I can take the little plastic hammer and the little nylon drive-out tool and remove the tubes in 10 seconds.

So, if you want the Boss to shoot like a Boss should do, this is a way to do it.

Nostalgic Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/02/12 11:36 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.