May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jtplumb, Craigster, battle, 5 invisible), 761 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,478
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I beg to differ with Geo Newbern reference the Beretta type folding single barrel gun. The under lever is not hard to operate on mine. I have one in 20ga as a teaching gun and do not find it a a "real pain"

You are right they are light; which is a strength and a weakness. A weakness and that they are heavy kickers with heavy fast loads. A strength as they carry all day with ease.

While I am sure there are bad examples of the action, all are not bad and properly checked out can be a good option

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yea, I guess I had to wonder about that recoil comment too. I feed my 12 gauge Companion pretty stout loads here and there, but, it has had it's share of the Winchester "featherlite" loads for times when recoil might be an issue, say, shooting clays. Recoil has never bothered me when I'm shooting in cold blood with a single shot at game. The under lever on mine opens very easily, and is nice and wide. I've heard people say that it would be perfect with an ejector, but, I hate ejectors, so, I'm not out much.
I've heard about lousy triggers on them, too, but, mine breaks cleanly at about 4 lbs, perfect for a 5 1/2 pound gun.
They have been in production since about the end of the last big war, I suppose bad examples exist-but, mine ain't one of them.

Good Luck,

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another to search for is the BSA Snipe. Plenty to find here in the U.K. typically 20 to 25. http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/BSA-Snipe-gun-for-sale-gs71489.aspx Might be worth searching for if any have found their way to the U.S. Most were destined for export to places such as India but should have found their way about the globe. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

I wanted a hammer less single shot shotgun for my type of hunting.

I walked into the local gun shop and there was a like new 12 gage for $50.00. It was a Beretta Companion knock. off I bought it on the spot. The store owner said that it was his and he had only fired it a couple of times.

I took it home and cut 4" off of the full choke barrel and relocated the bead. I have used it for pheasants, 7 for 7, over my pointer. It has started to become one of my go to guns for bird hunting!

I did attempt to shoot a round of skeet but after station 2, I thought that I had enough of that fun! Lol I have never thought of putting a pad on it as I dislike pads.

My gun is a dream to carry all day and knowing that one only gets one shot, your wing shooting seems to improve.

Somebody makes a similar gun with the release button behind the trigger or next to the safety. I find that I have to be careful not to trip the barrel release while carrying the gun. If it is tripped slightly, the gun will not fire!

The one pictured for sale is very highly priced! Keep looking!

I have not fired any 2 3/4" or 3" magnums out of mine yet and I doubt tht I ever will! I think that I weighed my gun and it weighed 4.5 lbs!!!

Stay well,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my preference for a single barrel. It can be an ejector non ejector depending on how sharply you move the underlever. The safety is pushed off with your first finger knuckle; hardly have to change your grip. Funky looks, beautiful balance in the longer barrelled versions ... and it's a Greener! This one cost me seventy quid.

The BSA Snipe will be a lot cheaper but they are very often in shabby condition; the aluminium action was just painted (badly) and the paint chips off all too readily.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 08/11/12 11:51 AM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Ithaca Gun Co. built Lefever Model 2 --

Prior to The Great War, the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. offered some pretty nice hammerless single barrels --

Last edited by Researcher; 08/11/12 03:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher hit the nail on the head. I have a Lefever and it is very nice. I'm not too familiar with the Stevens 180 and 181, however I think the Savage model 219 and 220 are similar to those and they are also very nice guns.

Jack K

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Great guns, but, 'sorta few and far between, and I'll bet most have been rode hard and put away wet, and under a pile of leaves for the winter, usually.
The companions will kick you if you insist on using big loads. I like to think I'm smarter than the gun, and use what will work, and feel good.
I've burned up a bunch of 1 oz loads in mine. Recoil wasn't/isn't a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
OK, you can fight with the Winchester boys

Look at 1936 in the following post smile

http://www.winchestercollector.org/guns/w-history.shtml

The Model 37 is a very well made, strong, and reliable single shot shotgun. Made in 12, 16, 20, 28, & .410 from 1937 through 1963 in New Haven, Conn. Make from steel, hence the name "Steelbilt" (stamped on the barrel). Has a so called semi-hammerless (striker type) action There were 1,015,554 made.

Those Italian folders are wonderful. PB and Antonio or Angelo Zoli used to make them. The only complaint is due to very light weight those are best with light upland loads while steel-built Winnie 37 makes 70mm 'Nitromags' easier on the shoulder. This due to couple of things: greater weight of gun and generous size butt of stock.

Overall the best choice would be hammered Winnie Mod 37. The only weak point is the ejector piece which used to be available from Cape Outfitters. Not sure but perhaps Jeff still has some to sell. The rest of Model 37 is made of unbreakium.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Meriden Hammerless single Bbl 12ga.
http://www.meridenfirearms.com/images/trap1.jpg

Sleak hammerless single shot,,not the 'Trap' version shown on the website catalog cut. No raised rib on mine and mine has POW style grip instead of the SG. Maybe that's what they refer to as the Pigeon Grip in the ad(?)
In parts now for some renovation, but hope to get the thing out for a run soon. Damascus bbl.
Kind of a unique action, it has a slide inside actuated by the top lever and a bottom plate on the receiver like most all SxS's.

We had a 12ga Stevens/Savage 220 as youngsters,,I remember it kicked like hell. But the oldsters insisted on Peters HV 2 3/4 Magnums in everything so that may have had something to do with it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.