May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, Hugh Lomas, SKB, ClapperZapper, Mike Harrell), 441 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,480
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Big number loads in a light gun has caused far too many of them to be referred to as having too much recoil. Mostly, a lighter load is a better load. You don't see guys with BT99s loading them up with three inch rounds at trap league, either.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Savage 220 is the one you're most likely to run across. The older ones, with top lever opening, are better than the later ones which had a sidelever. The 220 was even offered with a factory-installed Polychoke, or with the Savage adjustable choke. Since your goal is to find a gun for grouse and woodcock, one of those would be nice. Otherwise, a whole lot of single shots were choked full, which you'd likely want to open for the birds you're after.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used a garage sale 16 ga 220S with a the Savage choke for a season in Vermont back a few recessions ago when I couldn't afford anything else. In thick cover for grouse, woodcock, and cottontails it is about as effective as a any shotgun (not a lot of SERIOUS second shots in there!). I also shot a few mallards and woodies that I jumped out of creeks and beaver ponds with it.

I also don't like the later 220L. They work, but talk about oooooogly!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't be surprised if the Western Field were manufactured by the old H&R Company. My dad had an H&R single shot, very, very similar, right down to the shape of the fore-end, the design at the hinge and the groove down the top of the receiver. His was probably manufactured in the 20s, and had an ejector. And what was left of the CCH was pretty similar, too.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have both a Baikal 20g and a Martini customised 20g (simlar to a Greener). Both are good, however the break action of the Baikal and quick take down make it more practical.

Baikal's IZ18 is the only true hammerless single out there now. Could not resist "doing it up" with a decet stock that fits. The factory stock is something out of star wars. It has become a favorite, and it does not punish with loads up to one once.

[img:left][/img]

If you are willing to go to a hammer single, look for an old English one, you will discover true shooting pleasure. The hammer is not hard at all on these hand built singles.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 08/13/12 04:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgive me for being argumentative; but regarding Winchester 37's;
if it looks like a hammer, and cocks like a hammer; I don't care WHAT they call it. To this old man, that's a hammer.

I have found that the 37's "Hammer; striker cocker;" or what ever, is kinda hard for a kid to cock. Some .410's are the same way, and are so hard for a kid to cock, the bird is in the next county when he/she gets it done.

They are a nice, rugged gun, but I was never too crazy about the
thingy you have to pull back prior to shooting it. (for a kid or girl)

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, that sure is a nice looking gun
Well done, well done
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Mike. It was meant to be a knockabout single. But the bug bit and there was a piece of walnut too narrow for anything else, and bit by bit the knockabout got customised. But no pampering though, this one will not make me cry when I drop it.

Deliberately choosing a single shot for hunting brings a new experience. The total focus on one shot is.... different. I imagine that hunting with a muzzle loading single shot is even more focused.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never seen a customized Baikel single barrel gun before. Actually it looks quite nice. I had one in excellent condition that I was forced to take in with a gun that I wanted. I paid 20 for it and eventually sold it for the same.

I mentioned the BSA Snipe as a hammerless single. They are a bit crude in some ways but were reliable. The worse single machine made English gun was the Argyle (there will now be a few groans from English readers) with springs that we worse than those in a small mouse trap. I would think it hard to give one away here unless it was in mint condition and someone wanted one as a curiosity. The Greeners were quite heavy and built like tanks but will last several lifetimes; there was even a multi-choke version. Midland Gun Co. did sell a single known as the Hammerless Knockabout. I have only ever seen on and that was a 16 bore and had German proof marks. Bernadelli in Italy did make a single hammerless folding gun that was very light where the opening mechanism was by sliding back the trigger guard. There are few quality English single hammerless guns but they are quite rare and usually command a good price. If you could find one of those it would be an absolute gem. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As always - great conversation!! Life is conspiring against me, just inventoried hunting gear and I need to spend some cabbage on dog gear, plus the wife 411'd me that the oldest daughter dropped the big W to her - there maybe a wedding to be funded.

Soooooooo I'm going to call around to see if there is a cheep CVA/Beretta folding companion or Stevens 220, but if those arn't to be found then I'll get a plastic stocked baikal for $132.50 in my hands. Light and brutally rugged.

32 days and a wake-up til we're in the bush chasing grouse and da ute duck hunt!!!

Gary

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.