May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, cpa, 1 invisible), 881 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,487
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just purchased two new London cases ans need to apply some dressing to the leather to protect and make them shine? Any suggestions? And where is the best place to purchase?
Thanks.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lexsol for the good of the leather or a good shoe polish if you want shine...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

This stuff is the best that I've used. I used to have horses and ride a lot. I tried a lot of products, but this was by far the best. I especially think it's good for thin fine leather like gun cases.

http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Meltonian_All_purpose_Cleaner_Conditioner_p/405000.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you want to condition the leather or actually put a shine on it? I wouldn't think a new case would need much in the way of a shine.

Fiebing's 4-Way Care is a good conditioning product that does not change the leather's appearance.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use BLACKROCK Leather 'N' Rich, on the recommendation of the local Saddle shop that has been doing leather work for over 70 years. Very pleased with the results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Renaisance Wax, noone should be without it. Good for leather,metal,bluing,stock finish,wood etc.
Brownell's carries it,but you get the best price on ebay [always compare can size].

Sidelock
Sidelock

My local custom boot maker said to use good quality facial or hand moisturizer. I travel some and most of the hotels have small bottles of hand lotion. I use that on my boots and it is great-priced right.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pecard Leather Dressing is by far the best option for a "wet product". (a paste)

For a dry product, "renaissance wax" is what museums use.

For a wet-to-dry product, use Fiebing's "Leather Balm with Atom Wax, color - neutral". This product is applied with a piece of lambswool and goes on wet and runny. allow it to dry for a couple hours and the case will become foggy/cloudy. Then buff with dry lambswool and you'll get a nice gentle sheen. This product is designed to seal in dye to stabalize a finish as well so it is quite good. A similar product in final look, but more glossy is Tandy "SuperSheen" in creme form. The latter does not cloud and fog the leather but still requires the drying time and then the buffing with lambswool to get that right look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since we have no idea what the tanning process and preservative treatment was for the leather cases none of us can give a definite answer. To be absolutely certain I would strongly suggest you contact the makers of the case and follow their recommendation. If you can't reach them ask the dealer.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Second that. Many leather cases have already been given some coating to prevent drying and discoloration. Let us know what the maker recommends please. Another note if you plan to use the case is to evaluate how any particular product may soften the leather. Lexol has three products that clean and then protect but may discolor the leather a little. If not used sparingly, Ren Wax can build up--this is difficult on some pebbled surfaces. I would avoid anything with silicon additives if possible as those products can make cleaning difficult.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.