May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Mr W martin, Jtplumb, LeFusil), 992 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Gentlemen:

For some unknown reason, now I have access to the outdoor channel in my satelite television ("unknown" because I think there are not enough audience for such a channel here in Mexico).
In the past week that I saw it, only watch bowhunt/whitetail deer hunts shows and nothing more.
Is there any show related to upland/birds/fine firearms in the outdoor channel?
Please, if you know, answer me with program´s name or shedule.

Thank you.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

American Birdhunter is one... but they all shoot Benelli autos... I got tired of watching it because they kept replaying the same episodes over and over again.

Ultimate Outdoors (with Wayne Pearson) often shows plantation quail hunts... the show's based out of South Georgia.

That's about it. Unfortunately, it's SLIM pickins for us wingshooters!

Sidelock
Sidelock

To be fair, I think it's more than a little difficult to do a show about wingshooting for a couple reasons:
1. the action is almost certain to be over in a matter of seconds. Imagine trying to film a grouse flush and shot, for example. Or a woodcock. The time from nothing happening to everything's over is a couple or three seconds at most.
2. the cameraman has to be at least as good as the shooter when it comes to framing and lining up on the shot. When I've seen wingshooting shows, it's almost inevitably been a pheasant hunt in open country, where the cameraman can have his focus set at infinity or close to it and taken from a distance, so the bird is easily framed
3. safety. Sometimes the best angle for photographing (because of, for example, sun issues) would be in a direction where it would be unsafe to be standing, i.e., the cameraman would be downrange.
4. low limits and relatively sparse game. I once was fishing Idaho's Henry's Fork at the Forest Service campground downstream from the Railroad Ranch when a film crew for one of the fishing TV shows came through and stopped for a lunch break. We got to talking and they told me it took a full day or often more of filming to get a usable one hour program, i.e., 40-some minutes of content and 20-some of bumpers and commercials. Count the number of fish caught on film in the average fishing show and it's going to be somewhere around a dozen or more per hour. It has to be, to hold the audience interest - they come to watch fish being caught, not casts that do not yield a fish. The same would obtain for a wingshooting show. If one were to try, say, wild grouse hunting on film, imagine how many days of filming it might take to get 5 or 10 usable point-flush-shot-kill-retrieve sequences. Factor in bad weather and that time could double or more. And on the good days, the crew would surely find themselves bumping up against a bag limit - there's no catch-and-release in hunting.

This all leads to another issue - sponsorship. Or, more directly, money. As noted upthread, the one autoloader company sponsors the wingshooting show the commenter saw. Making shows is expensive - easily a million dollars a season or more. If you look at the hunting shows out there, most of them seem to have some commercial tie-in to a lodge or preserve (or big box outdoors store) where the filming took place. In other words, they're mostly well-camouflaged infomercials for the lodge/outfitter/big-box. In that regard, the deer-hunting shows all seem more directed - subtly - at selling the latest gadget that will get you that deer. That, or selling the trip behind the tall fence somewhere in Texas. How many of them are selling "time in the field pays off in game in the bag" or "boot leather kills the most grouse"? To a society where time is precious, telling people the best way to get the game is to spend time on it isn't going to sell anything, let alone the sponsor's product. The average comsumer (I think most of the folks here are a lot more serious/devoted than the average) wants to buy the magic bullet, go out Saturday morning, spend 5 or 6 hours in the field, and come home with a full bag, preferably in time to tailgate the college football game. A miracle gizmo or preserve hunt will give them that (in the case of the gizmo, the hope of it). Telling them to work hard - not so appealing.

And, for that matter, how many commercials are Parker, Fox, LC Smith, and so on going to buy?

The only wingshooting show I remember which was successful in portraying something close to the experience was that one with the english setter, Dash, if I recall his name correctly. But, in that show the dog was the hero and the birds and people his props. Unfortnately, he's gone to doggy heaven....

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 09/03/12 12:11 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Dave in Maine. There's one "show about the show" episode of Duck Commanders where they said they take a 100 hours of film to make 1 hour of show. And, they use like four cameramen, who know exactly where the ducks are coming from and going to be killed. It would be infinitely more difficult to stage a walk-up dog show.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed with previous posts. It is very hard to film a true upland hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Birthday, Humpty Dumpty!

I don't know what the birthday customs are in your house or in Russia generally, but may you get the gifts you want and your hangover not be too severe.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't seen it, but I saw an ad. for a show called "The Flush". It's supposed to be about upland bird hunting.

My guess, there aren't more bird hunting shows because they just aren't as popular as the big game shows. If a bow hunting show can capture the stalk and arrow hit on a mountain goat or dall ram, you'd think a bird hunt particularly behind dogs would be quite a bit easier.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I haven't seen it, but I saw an ad. for a show called "The Flush". It's supposed to be about upland bird hunting.

My guess, there aren't more bird hunting shows because they just aren't as popular as the big game shows. If a bow hunting show can capture the stalk and arrow hit on a mountain goat or dall ram, you'd think a bird hunt particularly behind dogs would be quite a bit easier.

Forgot about that one. "The Flush" is the TV show for Pheasants Forever. Its pretty good.

And you're spot on about the difficulty of filming. It can be done... and done well. Orion Multimeda is proof of that. Their productions were very high quality. Here are a few samples from some of their shows that, unfortunately, no longer air.

South Texas Quail
http://youtu.be/Aid63l1pObs

Alberta Huns & Sharptails
http://youtu.be/2hKWcX4rL8k

Plantation Quail
http://youtu.be/TFLNo21uBEg

Pheasant Hunting in SD at the Paul Nelson Farm.
http://youtu.be/CtVH3YZ0958

Mexico Duck Hunting
http://youtu.be/cX51ygsD0Ks

If you like what you see, you can order the whole seasons on DVD from Orion Multimedia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Happy Birthday, Humpty Dumpty!

I don't know what the birthday customs are in your house or in Russia generally, but may you get the gifts you want and your hangover not be too severe.

Thanks a lot!
(the birthday traditions over here are about the same as over there, so your wishes are right in the bull's eye :-))

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.