April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 389 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,088
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening day in Virginia found me hunting over a waterhole. Planned on taking my 16 gauge CH, but the farmer had placed cows in the field and padlocked it. frown Given the shooting can be fast and furious I put the Parker away and dug out a Fox SW 16 gauge ejector gun with 30" barrels choked full/full, two boxes of RST's and we walked in the half mile. Found out quickly I was old, but my dog was older. With the heat and humidity it was all we could do to lug all the stuff to the waterhole.

Shooting started out very slow, but picked up towards the evening (typical for the waterhole shoots I've been on). With a bit of luck I managed to take some home. Too late to take a photo last night, so I put them on ice and cleaned them this morning. My 12.5 year old Golden did well. Found at least 6 birds we would have lost in brush/tall grass. Anyway, a few photos:

And of course the young dog had to grab one up and she's damn pretty so I snapped a picture of her as well:

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pics, tut. I see you have learned what I also have, that ejectors are a very nice piece of hardware when the dove shootin' is fast paced. A man could do a lot worse than a 30", 16 ga. Sterly ejector for doves.

Good shootin'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, did you shoot them in Mexico? I didn't think you were going to be able to take your guns with you.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, Joe, we are still in Kansas, leaving tommorrow for a hunt with Daryl in Saskatchewan. We'll be relocating about the middle of December...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
Sounds like you're having fun. I'm wishin I was retired already.

I did get down to Yuma for the one day. We got permission for our group to hunt some private property over a section or two of cantalope which had been harvested/with many which had been just turned over and left to rot. We shot limits of whitewings in an hour or two. Then back to town for breakfast. Afterward we went out to find some Eurasian dove. We found a spot under a patch of trees that had them exclusively. I burned thru nearly a flat of 3" shells at the passing shots of the singles and small groups. Many were very high. Later that evening, we had grilled dove tacos that had been butterflied and marinated in several concoctions. A great dinner. The Repro with the CSM barrels did very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are driving me nuts - I am sitting here in the People's Republic of MA watching our "protected songbirds" flit around and coo in the pine trees behind my house. I still jump every time I hear that "we-we-we-we" as they fly by.

I gotta move . . . .

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dove tacos? Now theres a thought...Might give that a try when we get back..Still seeing good numbers of Pheasants, lots of failed standing corn still up..most of it about belt buckle high, so should be huntable...Hang in there Doverham, your turn is coming..

Sidelock
Sidelock

A group of 20 or more of us have been gathering for a "dove weekend" at the "Camp" belonging to one of our more affluent friends for many years. Most participants are the sons or grandsons of the original guys (going back for 50 years or so). I've been attending for over 20 years.

We shoot all three days of the Labor Day weekend opener. Usually we attend private or pay shoots in the middle GA area and we'll often split up into several shoots on the different days.

This weekend was another resounding success with great food, great friends and great shooting. Having enjoyed the good luck of dodging hurricane Isaac our fields were all in perfect shape. The places I shot, all private shoots, were all three purpose planted (sunflower, corn, and milo)and manipulated just for the dove shoots. We bagged a mixture of mourning doves and eurasian ringnecked doves.

My gun of the year was a 1900 Remington 16ga ejector gun with 30" open choked barrels. Perfect!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo: You win. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had "two" new hunters with us, one in his forties and the other just six. I think both are hooked for life. Saturday's evening shoot was nothing short of spectacular, with wave after wave from nearly every point on the compass. Here is the six year old with her dad and the bird he dropped just outside camp between morning and evening shoots:

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.