May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, jake van dyke), 994 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#288649 08/10/12 09:12 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone come across pressure data from Hevi-shot? They don't seem to have anything posted on their website. I am trying to compare their 12 ga. 2 3/4" Duck load (1 1/4 oz, 1300 fps) vs. their Classic Doubles load (1 1/8 oz, 1300 fps).

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In looking at Kent Tungsten Matrix as an alternative, Kent provided me with the following pressure information:
Quote:
The 1 3/8 oz. 12 gauge 2 3/4" load has a pressure of 11,400
The 1 1/4 oz. 12 gauge 2 3/4" load has a pressure of 9,900

I also came across this 2008 article by Tom Armbrust on Kent TM loads. It is a little hard to follow in places but one conclusion he apparently reached was that TM shot produces a roughly 10% increase in pressure over lead shot (assuming other load variables are the same).
Armbrust

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham, I don't think there's been much focus on Hevishot pressure data in general because the stuff is too hard to use in vintage guns anyhow. And as long as it meets SAAMI standards, it's not an issue for those with modern guns. Re pressure for the Classic Doubles load, I recall asking about that myself when it first came out. Can't remember ever seeing an authoritative answer.

That heavy Kent TM load is bumping right up against the SAAMI service pressure limit.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. When it comes to nontox waterfowl loads for vintage doubles, handloading seems to be the main option. The Polywad NICE shot seems a bit anemic except for close decoying ducks.

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
That heavy Kent TM load is bumping right up against the SAAMI service pressure limit.

Based on that, I was a little surprised by this conclusion in Armbrust's article:

Quote:
Another great feature of Tungsten Matrix shot is its complete safe usage in fine old double barreled shotguns, such as Parkers, Fox, L.C. Smith, and Winchester 21's, plus Browning Auto-5's and Winchester M-12 guns and also fine English double shotguns. Thin barrel walls and tight chokes pose no problems with this new shot as it is malleable like lead.

The gun I am looking at is a 1939 German 12 ga. nitro proofed with 70mm chambers. I will obviously have a gunsmith look at the barrels if I buy it but have been trying to figure out what my ammo options might be for waterfowling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DH, did Tom Armbrust write the article, or maybe Tom Roster? In any case, a load that develops a pressure of 11,400 psi would not be appropriate even for modern CIP standard proof guns. Service pressure for those is close to that (about 10,800 psi, per the Birmingham Proofhouse), but I don't think it would be a wise idea. However . . . Kent does offer TM loads in their Gamebore line that are suitable for older American as well as British and European doubles. But they're a bit lighter: 1 1/16 oz of either 5's or 6's. You may want to look into those loads. I've shot a few pheasants with them and they seem to work fine. Assume they'd also do the job on ducks.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/05/12 04:15 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.