May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tim Wolf, battle, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 555 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
ed good #292760 09/10/12 07:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
who ever messed up will be more diligent in the future.

Based on the information doubletrouble posted here it may be the case that no one messed up. It may be normal wear. Or trash in the seers.

Either way we can't tell what happned from the information we have here.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/10/12 07:47 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

well mike, not to beat a dead horse, but if you read doubletroubles original post that started this thread, it sure sounds like his gun worked fine before he sent it off to have the receiver recolored...otherwise, why would he even post his problem here, in the context of having the receiver recolored?

it is nice though, to see you are back on topic.

a lesson we should all learn from this is that, in an effort to make our guns look better, we some times run the risk of making them non functional and dangerous...maybe the best course is to leave erm as they are and only fix erm when they are broke?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed if you will re-read doubletroubles original post you will see that he doesn't say if he tested it before he sent it off. He still hasn't said if it was a double or single trigger gun. He still hasn't said if he has it fixed yet. If so he hasn't said what the fix was.

And since when do you speak for "we" as in "a lesson we should all learn from this is that..."

Or do you mean "we" to indicate you and your alter ego Bilious Bob?

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/10/12 09:08 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

you know what happens when you beat your head against a stone wall? you get a headache...i have grown weary of this and my head is beginning to hurt...and so ends another encounter with hammer head mike.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed I accept your surrender.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for being so late in responding. The gun is a double trigger, ejector with 34" barrels and no safety. It was originally shipped as a 12 gauge on a #2 frame but apparently was sent back to Parker for a set of 16ga. barrels. They are marked JG in an oval. I had the gun restocked and while I was at it had the iron re colored. I believe it was sent to Ohio to " Color Case Hardening" but not sure. The work was done by a smith that I have the utmost confidence in and is well known as he worked for Pachmeyer for years.
Tom

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Something I forgot to mention. I had not fired to shotgun before sending it off to the smith. The gun was given to me when I was about 14 and 50 years later when I had put together a little money I decided to get it fixed as the stock was broken in half.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

so ed you think restocking might have something to do with it? you had no info but still ran your suck about coloring the action.there is no ed landers listed with an FFL in you area ed.

Last edited by mc; 09/10/12 11:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why don't we take the beat on Ed business to another thread, elsewhere, and address doubletrouble's problem in the normal, gentlemanly way things get handled here. I know I've picked on Ed in the past (I still have that quart can of miner's lamp carbide if you want it. smile ) but doubletrouble came here with a legitimate problem asking for application of the collective knowledge of the site. So let's go there.

FWIW, if you go back on some of the late Ballistix999's threads about learning to do CCH, you'll note he was quite worried about things like warping the frame during the process. And everyone here just fawned on Tony and his concern. And rightly so. Ed raises the possibility of the same issue and you guys back up the manure spreader.

I don't know a hell of a lot about Parkers or CCH, but it does stand to reason that any of the possibilities already raised here - frame warp during re-CCH, crud, sear wear, worn insides generally, botched re-assembly - or a couple more I can think of (It's a no-safety gun - are they more prone to doubling? What effect re-stocking? What effect from the old rebarrelling?) might well obtain.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 09/11/12 06:27 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave there are quite a few constructive suggestions in this thread already.

As mc points out it could be the restock - wood interference.

It could be worn sears.

It could be trash in the sears. I repeat that there are directions on disassembling a Parker action on the Parker site.

It could be a warped frame from a re-case hardening. But doubletroubles has twice referred to the process as case coloring. We don't know the process that was used for the case coloring or if it even involved re-case hardening.

CJO had a very specific possibility, easily checked.

I wasn't disputing the possibility of re-case hardening causing warpage and the doubling.

I was disputing ed's jumped-to conclusions that it has been re-case hardened and that that re-case hardening caused it to double and his blanket condemnation of the process.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.