March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#293495 09/14/12 09:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today I purchased a British 12 gau. SxS, 3O" steel barrels, the bores came out shiny and the metal on the gun is virtually rust free. The major problem is the straight gripe stock is broken at the wrist but I have all the pieces and will attempt a repair. The opening lever is a push forward type under the trigger guard.

First question when and by whom was this type of system used?
The extensively scroll engraved action is a back lock with only one bite, very high hammers and fences and at first glance it looks like a percussion including a cross pin fore-end attachment.

On the table is the following - normal British proof marks + Nitro Proof - Shot 1oz. Max. I believe the barrels are steel but am not absolutely certain (no pattern under fore-end).

Can take pics. if some will post them for me. Any input on a possible maker would be appreciated. Perhaps a clue might be on the back of the locks - will see to-morrow. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Push forward under the trigger guard? Could be the James Woodward Automatic patent, or the T Woodward spiral spring, or there were a few others; anyone could have made it; last quarter of the 19th century is when a fair number of that sort of thing was made before everyone seemed to settle on toplever hammerless BL/SL E/NE guns; sidelock/boxlock? proof marks?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are commonly called a thumb hole opener. Here is one on a Purdey.

Here is another take on an opener. This one is a Barber-Lefever.

And another take all together, this one is a Lefaucheux

The list goes on...

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, the hammers and fences are clones of the ones on the Purdey. Engraving "style" and coverage much the same. As stated before "back locks", I think that is the correct term. British proof marks. The lever hinges down from the round body action and operates much like a falling block rifle. Yes Pete there are many variants, I collect them as I find them, so far -Lefaucheux,Jones? rotary under lever, left side lever, many top levers and now this.

Took several pics. and can forward to some one willing to post them . I'm going to take the gun apart shortly for cleaning & stock repair - might find some "hidden" info. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I sent you a PM last night with my email. Forward me the pics and I'll post them for you.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

The proof Marks with that wording indicate a date between 1896 and 1904. There were several push forward underlever actions usually incorporating some form of action cocking or bringing the hammers back to half cock position. By the time your gun was made they were less in use. Ones to look at are Joseph Lang's patent, Gibb's patent and Edgar Harrison's patent. May have a few more ideas when pictures are shown. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

cb: thanks for to offer to post the pics. & every one for their input, I will forward them asap. Since my last posting I've dismantled the gun, metal is very good with a insignicant rust spots, the locks are beautiful & polished to a mirror finish. The stock is a mess, a previous failed repair is evident. At the very least I will put it back together for a pattern.

The good news is that while cleaning the locks (Cadet) I found T. Woodward within the scroll engraving in very tiny script no wonder it was easily missed.

Where on the scale are Woodwards, best, middle etc. and possible value range, ignoring the broken stock. I want to get a feel for the whether to repair / replace the stock. Tough ? I know. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi John

Here are the pics forwarded:

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun,John. If it needs restocking you've got some soul searching to do. The cost will certainly exceed value.
Some reading of Thomas Woodward's contribution to the gunmaking story might persuade you to undertake the project.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Your right Justin, I was very taken by this gun even before I uncovered the maker's name, especially by the workmanship & stock. I will also look up T. Woodward on internet

"One" of my hobbies for 50 some years has been gun-stock work & nearly all aspects thereof. Part of which having some nice blanks on hand. Without a doubt getting a stock made would be prohibitive for me even now. I will attempt to save the stock first and proceed from there. Might take pics. as I go along and get them posted as in thanks canvasback for today and maybe in the future if your willing, look what you started.

Well I'm off fishing but will hopefully get the stock stripped to-night. --- John Can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.