April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Skeeterbd, j7l2, fab500, jake van dyke), 1,084 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#296227 10/06/12 09:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anybody actually shoot guns with a lot of drop well? I am talking about 1 3/4"-2" at comb and 2 3/4"-3" at heel. I can't get used to them to save my life. Or are most of these old guns wall hangers that nobody shoots?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite dimensions for actual bird hunting is 1 5/8" X 3". I can use a straighter stock on clays but on unexpected (and unprepared) flushes I shoot with my head up. Maybe strange considering today's fashion but works for me.

Insofar as to "shooting well", that's another matter. I've never climbed above "middling average" but that doesn't bother me and somehow I generally manage enough birds.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot 3" drop pretty well...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people's neck will bend 1" one way or the other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do ok with up to about 1 5/8" x 2 3/4" on game. After that, I have to struggle a bit. My preference for a game gun is 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that a lot of shooting in the U S is what we British called "walked up" , that is the birds rising from the ground , as opposed to our more traditional "driven ". Having had the occasion to do emergency repairs on guns from the U S that have been brought across with shooting parties and for guns that have been made or restocked for American customers , that on the whole you prefer guns with less drop the we do . If indeed you do shoot more rising bird this would be to you advantage where as if shooting drive then more drop may well be the advantage . It is also worth bearing in mind that shooting styles do or did vary from county to country as have "standard" stock dimensions ,in 1900 a British gun would have had 14&1/4" to 14&1/2" as standard ,in 2000 15" is more likely the norm .

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Despite using them for differing kinds of shooting I have found that I can adjust to differing drops fairly handily. That said, it is much easier for me to shoot one with "excessive" drop than one with not enough. I cannot bear having to cheek the gun hard to prevent looking down on the rib. I know from much experience I will shoot high with this setup, and it will most likely kick me on the cheekbone.

Having a long neck (me!!) makes it easier to adjust to varying amounts of drop. How? Most field guns have a rearward sloping comb, meaning that the spot on the comb that you cheek it determines the amount of Drop at Cheek (DAC). This is what really matters, not drop at heel(DAH). Having a long neck allows me a bit of leeway to cheek it where it needs to be cheeked to get the picture down the rib right. Though it sounds like a contorted way of fixing things it is second nature with me. I shoulder and cheek the gun, and find that "sweet spot" on the comb, and just use it. Just a little bit of fore and aft movement of the cheek will make a vast amount of difference in the effective drop on these old guns having over 3" of drop. The more the Drop at Heel, the less movement is required to "make it look right".

All that is fine and good, but anybody is far ahead of the game by having the right amount of drop for the style shooting being undertaken, as gunman aptly described.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I much prefer 2-3/4" or so of drop - and shorter length of pull (13-3/4" or a bit less) - for walk up upland hunting here in the eastern US. Those who shoot quite a bit with different guns and an open mind, often come to realize that guns with 2-3/4" or even more drop at heel (and shorter stocks) have been badly maligned in recent years because of the target shooting mentality, wherein you know where the bird is coming from and get ready for it while on the station. And thus..... if your gun doesn't have < 2-1/2" or so drop you might as well leave it at home leaning next to grandpa's old picture.

All this is just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
gunman #296260 10/07/12 08:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam - I have tried shoot guns with lower drops and it just doesn't work for me. I have a longish neck but was fitted for a very flat stock (1 5/16" x 2 3/16") and a long LOP.

When shooting clays, I can adjust to a gun with lower drops, but in the field I really prefer to see the bird about the rib.

I admire the guys who can shoot a safe full of guns with varying drops well - that ain't me . . . .

Originally Posted By: gunman
in 1900 a British gun would have had 14&1/4" to 14&1/2" as standard ,in 2000 15" is more likely the norm .

Gunman - I would if this can be attributed at least in part to the fact that in general people are taller today that 100+ years ago. Of course, that would also suggest that shooters today would be looking for more drop, absent a change in shooting styles.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Point about taller people is true ,I used this as an example . But pick up a lot of percussion guns and you see many with a lot more drop than now . This could be that they were a hang over from flint days when to "shoot flying" was an achievement , most game was shot sitting so a more rifle stance was taken. Gun makers were a traditional lot so that it took time to adapt to the newer guns and the abilities of the shooters with them .
Men who built guns in 1890 could well have served there time on percussion guns so they were schooled in that style . Guns stocked to specific requirement are another thing .
Plus the simple fact that you got makers who made guns as they thought you should have them and you should shoot as they thought you should . I'm sure all this must be in book somewhere.

Last edited by gunman; 10/07/12 08:59 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.