April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (ClapperZapper, buckstix, dblgnfix, Jimmy W, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 592 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,020
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, it is not. The two of last two barrels that I did had some afterrusting after the boil and had to reoil them for days to stop it. With The last barrel that I did, i used the baking soda wash and had no afterrusting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RyanF
I have not been doing the final baking soda step. I assumed any unreacted acid is washed away in the boil.

Originally Posted By: Stallones
The two of last two barrels that I did had some afterrusting after the boil and had to reoil them for days to stop it.

I thought everyone blacking/browning/blueing barrels understood that the baking soda final wash is "as important" and required as any other step in the blueing/blacking process.........done without fail if you want a quality job......useful especially in the weep holes and other hidden places....

I would have guessed that everyone understood it's importance until I saw the two posts above.......

It's neutralizing effect is more important than "whatever" oil you use for the final wipe down, that's a fact......

Doug

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all for the information. PA’s barrels look better what I have produced so far. They look better than any barrels I own!

Until I went looking on the internet I simply followed the instructions that come with the Pilkington Classic American Rust Blue. I don’t think there is any mention of a soda wash.

I will take some photos this weekend so you guys can assess my current attempt. Hopefully you will not mind looking at an 1897 Winchester. I was trying for more of a matt finish and only polished to 320.

I thought the rusting agent was almost certainly water soluble (most acids are). Next time…

Thanks again.

Last edited by RyanF; 10/11/12 03:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in the middle of bluing some barrels now. I`ll go with ATF
BUT I have a question, when you blokes are boiling your barrels, do you have anything in the water>> IE caustic soda or anysuch

Cheers

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 6878mm
I am in the middle of bluing some barrels now. I`ll go with ATF
BUT I have a question, when you blokes are boiling your barrels, do you have anything in the water>> IE caustic soda or anysuch

Cheers

6878mm:

I prep barrels to 600 W-D grit as a final finish, then clean-prep with acetone.....

I use only pure rain water for boiling in the tank, with nothing added.......

Caustic blacking solution of your choice --(I pour some of the solution into a wide mouth glass jar for ease of application to the patch)-- apply two coats each pass, drying in between each coat, onto the barrels while they are warm applying with a new clean soft cotton patch each pass, boil each pass for 5-8 minutes, card with a new clean 0000 steel wool after drying each pass.....Usually 8-9 passes for a nice black finish, less passes for blue or matt finish....

Like any refinishing the preparation and attention to detail will determine the final finish quality.....

I drain and clean the tank after each set of barrels.....

I hope this helps....

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use pure water, either rain water or deionized

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
I use pure water, either rain water or deionized
In my experience, some steels don't want to change from brown rust to black rust (Fe2O3 to Fe3O4) when boiled in pure water. Apparently there isn't enough hydronium ions present in the bath. In such cases, I add a few (2 or 3) drops of acid, such as hydrochloric, sulfuric or nitric, to the bath. It works for me.

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The results. Is this what the blue should look like?

Sorry not a double. Even more sorry to make you look at the recoil pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RyanF
The results. Is this what the blue should look like?

Sorry not a double. Even more sorry to make you look at the recoil pad.

Yup.....looks super Ryan, you did a great job....!.........Nice old Win 1897....

Whose rusting solution did you end up using after all....?.....I use a Dremel with a tiny 3M wheel to polish the bolt in most cases while it's apart, works good for any steel bright work that you wish to clean/polish up......

Here's a Remington .22 made in December 1911...I did it the same way......

Best,

Doug

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice .22 PA24.

I used Pilkington classic American rust blue. 7 or 8 times. I flame blued the screws. I should polish the bolt and carrier. This was more work than a double barrel.

I wish I had a before picture. The action would not cycle due to the innards being frozen by rust. I must have filed off a few ounces of steel in removing the worst of the rust pits. It is still a heavy beast. The bore was pretty good compared to the outside. It came with a cutts compensator which I may reinstall, or maybe I will jug choke it.

I think the design is a little dangerous by modern standards…

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.