May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (DAM16SXS, canvasback, buckstix, MattH, 2 invisible), 766 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,617
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ManOwar
I'm looking seriously at a couple of Holland & Holland Royals as guns I can shoot as well as count as an investment.. I have also seen a couple Purdey's in my range that I'm also considering. neither are Damascus. Only going to buy one for now. I know all of the stuff that causes them to depreciate: e.g. condition, alterations, etc.. Any thoughts about WHEN (not if) we go over the FISCAL CLIFF which will be the better investment?? Maybe I should forget both and just keep buying Gold and continue shooting my Parker and Fox…

Neither. Find one of the two collector owners of majority of Peter Nelson guns there in America and see if you can buy one of Peter's guns. Peter's guns and Hartmann & Weiss are the best in the world of today's market.

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you are priescent enough to know when you are going to die, and could therefore sell your guns yourself, your wife/heirs will probably have to consign the stuff to a dealer/auctioneer, and that will cost you 20% or so. IMHO, it's hard to make money on commodities like guns , cars, or paintings for that reason

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Neither one. The market topped out on most English stuff a few years ago and it hasn't come back. English stuff was soft at the last Julia's auction and there are tons of high-quality English guns on the market right now. Just go to Gunsinternational and search for Purdeys.

If I wanted a Purdey or a Holland, I would look for all original, pre-war guns, cased, lots of condition. That's what people will always want.

Find a dealer that has something on consignment and then hammer him on the price. The dealers wants to sell so he can at least make some money, and the consignor is probably tired of waiting for some cash. Make your money on the buy, not on any thoughts of appreciation.

That being said, real nice, all original American stuff seems to keep going up - at least in the small bores.

Other than that, just enjoy life and forget about all this fiscal cliff stuff. It's just the haters, media & political interests whipping you up so you'll pay attention and do what they want.

OWD

I don’t intend to be argumentative but I can’t comprehend much of this.

If the English stuff is soft, why would this be the wrong time to buy? He should wait for the market to come back before investing?

The advice to find a dealer has me baffled. I would make every attempt to buy from a private seller to avoid the consignment fee and taxes. I’m not in the H&H class of alternative investing so I don’t know…but I wonder. Seems an auction would be better than a dealer. Investments from a retail store?

I’m all for enjoying life but, the whole business world is fixated on the “fiscal cliff” so it matters –regardless of political persuasion. What do the haters, political interests, or the media care about his investment choices? I’m totally lost. Seems like equal chances of inflation and deflation so who knows…

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the SHTF it will be a buyers market for all high quality things ...... guns, cars, wine. paintings and real estate. If you want one ... buy it but don't count on selling in bad times for what you paid .... or selling it at all.

Al

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ha - I see your point(s). I did not explain myself very well.

Too much coffee.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just put that dickhead on ignore, fucking troll
Apologize for the language, but I have had enough of him

Sidelock
Sidelock

My thinking is that I just traded a 1927 William Evans BLE 12 bore to a friend with a thriving gun business in Ontario for "trade"
In trade I have a mint Remington 28 ga skeet gun for my junior shooters, an STI 45 automatic, and a SU 16 for fun. Much more sellable
I would go for gold bars right now.
An important remark came up and this has been bothering me, hypothetically I have a cabinet full of guns, Parkers, Foxes, Hollands whatever. I will never die so I make no arrangement for any kind of disposal.
But I do die and leave my widow to deal with the disposal of my guns and reloading stuff,powder, shot, etc.
Not fair is it. Of course the creepy "friends" will, call round.....
So I have left my guns to my young friends, the boys whom I taught to shoot.
So the takehome message is, please do not leave your widow
to deal with your late husband's " great friends" from the Trap Club

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy what you like and can sleep with meaning the price.Enjoy shooting them and that will be your intrest and dividend.It takes a lot of luck to make money unless you are a dealer and can buy directly from the seller. But there are deals out there you just have to keep fishing.
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simple answer is neither or both . Like all investments it will depend on the specific gun or item and the price you actually pay . Guns are not a quick turn round ,quick profit job. If you buy wisely and consider that you have invested the money for a period of 10 or 20 years then you will certainly get your money back at an equivalent rate at to days value ,plus a profit . You also get the pleasure of owning and using a great gun that provided it is looked after and not "modified" will be a sellable item .As far as English guns go then Boss, Holland and Purdey are the name at the top of the list but they also command the highest prices . You also have to consider trends ,30 years ago 26" guns were popular and 30" barrels were not ,now it is the opposite .Two inch guns went mad for a while as did hammer guns. You may consider that "second" named makers ,Powell , Churchill, Evans for example are as good long term as any other ,you may even be able to buy two guns for the same money ,doubling your chances and halving the risk . Buy good original guns and avoid anything outlandish or fancy as well as gun previously own by "celebrities" as these again can loose a lot when people have forgotten who that was .
In short you pay your money and take a risk ,as with every thing else .

Sidelock
Sidelock

In spite of what one member said, the advice given by Obsessed with Doubles is just about right on.

The advice about PV Nelson guns and H & M is interesting since these guns rarely come on the market. There are so few of them out in the world that trying to determine a market value is very difficult, hence this is questionable advice. From the few I have seen for sale, their prices are very similar to a newly made Royal model or extra finish Purdey.

As I said before, any gun, no matter how fine or rare, is not a good investment vehicle except for few exceptions, such as a gun of very significant and fully documented provenance.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.