April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 1,065 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

How do Dickson Round Actions compare for investment?

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was a design I chased after for a few years here in the states, and I gave up before I ever found a good one. Most of them, here, anyway, are pretty old and have seen either, a lot, or, hard use.
Most people in this country think they are looking at just another boxlock, might be even harder to sell than a sidelock.
Nice, well put together guns, but, I might buy an annuity if I was worried about the money.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still think the best pure investment strategy for shotguns is to plan a trip overseas, making prior arrangements at the various auction houses, then buy every Winchester Model 21 you can afford. Bring them back here and sell them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

treblig1958, you are right, spend the next two years buying all model 21īs you can in Europe, come over,pick them up and send them back to the US and make about 100% on each gun ! Value for money I would try and buy a William Powell sidelock in good condition, pre 1937 or a Westley droplock deluxe in similar, best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I still think the best pure investment strategy for shotguns is to plan a trip overseas, making prior arrangements at the various auction houses, then buy every Winchester Model 21 you can afford. Bring them back here and sell them.

With all due respect, that is a lot easier said than done. I never saw an American gun in Europe, save one Remington pump deer rifle in .270, sitting new in a dealers rack, where it had been for years. You don't just take possession of a firearm in most of Europe, and you don't just come home with it, after you have bought it. Shipping arrangments have to be made, customs duty, exise and state taxes have to be paid, and then you have to sell it. Model 21s, in 12 gauge, are not exactly flying off the shelves here in the US these days, to be fair, most 12s have gotten to be a hard sell.

I wouldn't try it. I wouldn't have tried it when I was in the business, either.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience is same as Ted's. I've seen one American gun, an over-priced Auto 5 in Paris, during trips to Europe almost every year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, you sound a little too enthusiastic about my feeble plan, just a little too enthusiastic!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

RHD45, I bought a Hartman and Weiss a few months back but donīt consider it a better investment than a good Holland Royal or a Purdey, I think as someone stated they will be "knocking it on the head" fairly soon, best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my experience, continental guns have relatively poor re-sale values by comparison with Englinsh guns. Also, any gun manufactured in the last 20 years will lose the original buyer a pile of cash when he sells it.

Note the several pairs of modern Purdeys in Bonham's next sale. A new cost of Ģ150,000; these guns made in the late 1990s and early 2000s are expected to make the seller between Ģ60,000 and Ģ80,000, less seller's commission. They should actually hold up quite well for whoever buys them now.

The best bet is to buy guns made pre-war as they have done all their depreciation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Supply has to play a factor in this, does it not? As OWD pointed out, new H&Ws effectively can no longer be ordered, and Peter Nelson, David McKay Brown, Peter Hofer will all (sadly) one day cease making guns. That has to play a factor in their "investment" value as opposed to Purdey and H&H which will ostensibly continue to produce guns (even if at a relatively small volume).

Dig - your depreciation rate for those Purdeys is interesting. While they certainly take a hit on resale, a "typical" modern sxs (eg AyA No. 2, Merkel 1620 or for that matter even an RBL) doesn't depreciate 50-60%.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.