April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Purpleshells, Jimmy W, cpa), 968 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,278
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Originally Posted By: Kutter
S&W Triple Lock 44sp w/ bbl cut to 4 1/4". Great condition except for the hacksaw job. It'll go to 3 1/2"

After I sold my triple-lock I always thought that if I found one with a bad or cut off barrel I would fix it up. Tell me more, is it a target model?

This one is a fixed sighted model. Maybe it had a bulged bbl or some such damage. Someone just took a hacksaw and cut the bbl off. Did nothing more to it. The cut is still ragged and uneven. No front sight, ect.
FWIW it's been cut to just under 4",,not just over 4" as I originally posted. I figured a 3 1/2" bbl would be nice. I almost bought a NOS 6 1/2" 44sp T/L bbl for it a while back.
That seemed too easy I guess.

I do have a target sighted T/L in 44Sp that's an all gray gun and has wrench marks/flats on the sides of the frame where the bbl screws into. That a 6 1/2" bbl of course.
....Yet another project you've reminded me of...thank you so much!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Currently I have the better part of two Low Walls, a 7x57 Rolling Block, and a 7X57 Mauser on my work bench.....the worse part is I have no definite plans for any of them!!! smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Boxlock
Boxlock

Not much of real (physical) work but I would like to find some information on a double barrel 16 bore shotgun that my grand father brought home from Germany after WWII. It is what is referred to as a cross-over style (I think). Fired from the right shoulder. Looks like someone tried to wrap it around a tree, however it appears to have been made that way originally as it's not just the stock that's shaped that way.
The upper tang and lower tang, trigger guard, trigger plate, safety button, even the triggers are made at a sweeping curve. The barrel release lever is also made with a sweeping curve. It has selective ejectors and cocking indicators which protrude upward behind the standing breech. Very delicate engraving full coverage on the boxlock action. Fitted with sling swivels and a cheek piece on the butt stock. As soon as I can get some photo's of it (barrel flats and water table) showing the proof marks and such I will post them and maybe some knowledgeable people on the forum can shine some light on it for me.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What you're describing, Vern, is the so-called "cross-eyed gun". These are almost always custom jobs made for an individual who has either lost the use of an eye or hand, or where their dominant eye is on the side opposite their dominant hand and so strongly that they need this sort of gun. One of those, a custom Parker, is on display at LL Bean's main store in Freeport. It belonged to the late LL Bean and was made for him when he lost the use of his dominant eye and had to shoot using the other.

It'll be interesting to see the pictures.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have studied this gun quite a bit and can find no makers name on it. It was a very well made gun from the start. Maybe not a Purdey or Holland&Holland, but very well made. It is still as tight and on-face as when new. Also has side clips (I think that's what their called) and has a horn butt plate. The story that I got from my grand father is that it came from a very prominent estate in Germany, but that may be just the story that he got. I have to go over to my son's house and have him take the photo's (I don't have a camera. digital that is) and have him E-mail them to me. Then if I can talk some one here to post them for me I can E-mail the photo's to them. That's the problem when one has a analog mind in a digital world.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I've been on a bit of a Winchester kick for the last year or so...built low walls in .25-20 and .22 RF, and a Model 92 in .32-20.

Next up is a Winder musket low wall conversion to center fire, to be barreled up in .218 Mashburn Bee. I have the barrel and reamer in-hand, and have just started the blueprint on the action. Might have the barreled action shootable by the New Year.

Then there's a commercial Swedish rolling block that needs to be turned into something, and possibly another 92 Winchester...

Greg

Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of projects are making slooooow progress:

A) M1896 Krag-Jörgensen, patterned after a G&H sporter I'm still kicking myself for letting get away. New 22" barrel, NOS M1898 bolt, NOS Lyman 48, G&H-style wood w/ ebony tip and Niedner-style plate/cap and pancake cheekpiece. All parts on hand, and fitting/finishing has begun. I devised a Unertl-style block for the front sight onto which either a globe target sight or hunting sight can be installed, depending on the use at the moment.

B) M1899H Savage takedown rifle, with three (possibly four) interchangeable barrels. New wood, tang sight, etc. Rust blued. Calibers: .22HP, .25/35 AI, .30/30. Another barrel is pleading to be included, and if so will be bored out to .35 and chambered for a .35-.303 Savage wildcat. The fly in that barrel's ointment is it is a barrel from a M1899 Short Rifle and hence bigger in diameter than the carbine barrels for the other three, which will necessitate a second fore arm, and which will necessitate a bigger fitted cherry wood case than what I have planned.

C) Yet another Mauser hiding in the shadows, which I picked up because I have an orphan G&H QD mount w/ Lyman Alakan scope that needs a home...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If and when my hand will work with running the lathe and mill again. smile
#1 And soon to be a barreld action a 1876 WR single shot.
#2 A Siamese Mauser take down with 2 barrels a 30-40 Krag and
a 25 Krag
#3 A shortned Mauser action to be a 222 mannlicher
#4 A 256 Newton
#5 A 22 VT Newton.
#6 a SS Krag in 2-R Lovell
When you get old and senile you have to have things to think about. Smile Whitey

Last edited by whitey; 11/27/12 11:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have trouble distinguishing between actual projects and things which have just taken up residence. There are many more of the latter!

Here are some actual projects in order of importance to me:

1) Putting a better stock on my Eric Johnson .22LR Ballard Pacific rifle. I have the wood, the question is how "schuetzen" to go. I don't like the more extreme offhand styles and am leaning towards something more like an early Marlin factory target rifle. Pictures of rifles like that would be appreciated.

2) I have a NOS 1980's Parker Hale target rifle stock purchased from The Navy Arm's guys son. It looks like the Model 85 sniper rifle stock but single shot. While a two lug 98 is hardly a top level Palma rifle action, I would like to build a casual target rifle in either 6.5x47 or .308. I have not found a single shot FN action, and the PH actions are suspect, but I do have a new standard FN action from the H&R bankruptcy sale and a Sears rifle with a good commercial FN donor action as well. Either one of those actions could work with some sort of fabricated bedding block/loading tray underneath. I also bought a Speedlock Systems aluminum firing pin to try and help with the lock time a bit.

Some years ago GPC sold some new Swedish Mauser receivers and I bought one. Since then I have found a NOS barrel for the Model 38 short rifle, a new turned down bolt and most of the small parts for a barreled action either new or in really nice shape. Apparently the Swede's made lots of spares for these rifles. I have no idea what to do with it, but the idea of a "new" 70 year old rifle intrigued me and I like the 6.5's.

I should sell some other stuff and get these done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1878

I should sell some other stuff and get these done.

Or else add a few more to the mix! I dread the day that all my projects are done and there is nothing left to do. It would probably mean it's time to shuffle off to the Golden Years Nursing Home.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.