March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kip, Sandlapper, old colonel, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 764 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

I recently acquired another item that I know little about. I seem to like things that are different and then try to find out what I have, after I get it. I know this is back-wards, but I'm hoping to find an expert on these that could humbly ask to help to identify what variation I have.

Pictures are below. The markings that I can find are as follows. Top of the barrel is marked "griffin & Howe, Inc. New York". Left side of barrel in front of the receiver is marked "22 Hornet". Bottom of barrel, just in front of the receiver, and the bottom front of the receiver, are both stamped with the last 3 digits of the serial number "447". In the middle, bottom of barrel (still under the forearm) is stamped the number "43". The G&H scope mount base and the scope mount itself are both also stamped with the number "43". The scope mount is marked "Griffin & Howe, Inc. N.Y. - Pat. #213,055 Oct 13, 31". The scope is marked "Carl Zeiss - Jena - Zielklein - Nr.43585".

The bolt handle has a "N3" stamped on top and the last 2 digits of the serial number "47" is stamped on the bottom. Peeking out of the left side of the front site ramp is a number "1" and on peeking out on the right is a number "0".

I sure hope there is a reason for all these stamps. Is the no. "47" perhaps a work order number or just an assembly number?

There is a metal grip cap and a checkered steel buttplate with a widow's peak at the top. It has a 1/2" wide barrel mounted sling swivel base, and a 7/16" wide sling swivel stud in the stock. There is evidence of a plugged sling swivel hole forward of the stud.

Overall checkering on forearm and grip. On both sides, the stock had kind of a raised ridge that runs at an angle from the mid-stock into the center of the checkering Vee pattern on the grip. The forearm has a rounded "horn" tip. The stock's cheekpiece appears to be added and a nearly imperceptible joint line can be seen along the top of the comb.

Oh yes, there is a small brass plate in the stock that has the scope settings and ranges stamped.

Are there any records of G&H rifles as to when made and where shipped?

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/gh9bz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/gh9cz.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a depression era rifle made from an Armory stock. Without a work order number on the barrel there will be no record.

Herschel will be along and tell you about the action.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Michael Petrov,

Thank you so much for your reply. I assume the "43" that is stamed on the barrel in not the work order number. In case I missed something, is there any other place to look? And what kind of number am I looking for; several digits, and or letters perhaps? There are some other numbers on the bottom of the action, but I assumed these were Sprinfield Armory numbers of sorts.

thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your rifle appears to be a 1922M1 Sales Rifle that was converted to .22 Hornet by G & H. The filled screw hole in the stock is evidence that the original NRA stock was used by G & H. The bolt would have originally had the rifle serial number etched on the bottom. If it is still there you can probably use the serial number to get the name of the original purchaser from Springfield Research Service. The person who had the rifle modified by G & H or to whom G & H sold it is available from G & H. I don't recall the cost but you can get if from their web sight. The Zeilklein was one of the best scopes available in the 1930's. It was necessary to use a scope mount with windage adjustment as the scope was only adjustable for elevation. You are fortunate to have such a prize rifle. Are you certain about the marking of N3 on the bolt handle? I would expect it to be NS for nickle steel. If you find the rifle sn on the bolt and will provide it to me I will check with SRS sales records to see if it is listed. I understand that some .22 Hornets were made by G & H from 1903 Rifles. Yours was obviously made from a 1922M1. There may be evidence of the barrel date on either side of the front sight base.

Last edited by Herschel; 12/13/12 03:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Griffin & Howe Work-order number would have been on the barrel with the name. Most of these using Armory stocks did not have a work-order number.

It looks like the serial number is still on the action.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Herschel,

Thank you. Yes I believe the bolt may be NS insteadof N3 - the number is kind of washed out.

This rifle still has the original serial number and markings on the receiver. The serial number is "19447". The receiver reads, "US SPRINGFIELD ARMORY - M1922MI - CAL..22 - 19447"

As soon as I'm finished typing this, I'm going to go to the range and shoot it.

Thansk for any information you can provide about this rifle's history.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Michael Petrov,

Yes, now I understand. I've seen pictures of those with a number before the G&H name.

Yes, this one's receiver markings are still intact with the model and serial number.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My SRS sales information lists a 1922M1 rifle, #19447, in the NRA stock as having been sold on 4-14-1931. The NRA stock is the same stock as Mr. Petrov referred to as an armory stock. It is possible, but not likely, that the SRS records will show the rifle was shipped to Griffin and Howe. I have 1922M1 number 20434 for which I have papers showing it was shipped from Springfield Armory to G & H. It has similar but not as nice custom work as your rifle has. By subscribing to the U. S. Martial Arms Collector magazine you will be qualified to get a copy of the Sales Record Card from SRS. The card will cost you $65 in addition to the $35 magazine subscription. I believe a copy of the record card will enhance the value of your rifle more than $100.

Last edited by Herschel; 12/13/12 06:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a pretty nice little conversion. If they had used the original hole for the rear swivel base and taken a little more pain with the cheekpiece inlet, it would add a lot to its appearance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore, There were two sling swivel holes. They did use one of them. It may not be one of the finest custom jobs by G & H but it would be welcome in my gunsafe.

Last edited by Herschel; 12/13/12 11:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.